ParkFans Logo

Kings Dominion future grand vision

11/26/17 at 02:49pm in Kings Dominion future grand vision
Ok didn't know what to really title this thread, but basically I'm looking to make a master plan for Kings dominion and ways to bring it forth and propel it through the next few years.

Starting with the area from Backlot Stunt Coaster all the way to I-305.

The whole area in this plan is themed around racing and speed. As opposed to being a part of Safari Village, the whole area becomes "Virginia Speedway".

Backlot Stunt Coaster: Instead of being themed around stunts of a movie set, the ride gets minor themeing to revolve around gymkhana style driving (lots of sliding around basically). The mid course brake run is redone from a helicopter shooting at you, to a helicopter filming, and the cars (with smoke effects) are doing a burnout. Very minimal change. The dark part of the ride has lights installed and made to look as if you are doing stunt driving at night rather than just in the dark.

Flight of Fear: Retrofit with a VR headset, and turn it into the "Baja Experience" set to look and feel like the Baja 5000 race.

I-305 : No changes

Anaconda: By far the least chance of happening, but here we go. Get Chance Rides to come in and re-do Anaconda. Raise the lift hill height some, take out the loops, keep the general layout. Air-time filled coaster, meant to feel more like a road racer than anything else.

NEW: Between Blacklot and Anaconda a new dining space, called "The Pit Stop". All seating is outside, done with car seats, tires, hoods, ect. All kinds of BBQ and Ribs available to eat. Whole area designed to look like a pit garage to fit the new theme of the area.
Thanks given by:  Connor, RollyCoaster, 2muchpopcorn, jornor, phurst, Joe
12/03/17 at 01:11pm in Kings Dominion future grand vision
Ok, so now that I have more time, I want to add some more to this plan:

Safari Village -

As per last time everything from Backlot Stunt Coaster and back is altered to a World of Speed theme. So Safari Village is shrunk in size by quite a bit.

Volcano, Avalanche in this plan would sit unchanged.

I would update "The Crypt" with either the same thing just newer model, do a HUSS JUMP2 style ride, or a DISCO style ride, keeping the thememing there.

Ok, and the biggest change to the area: Boo Blasters on Boo Hill gets a huge overhaul. The entrance gets moved from the random corner it's in now, to the area between The Crypt and Avalanche. The theme centers around working for a company that protects the wild animals of the safari, but poachers have been on the loose. All throughout the queu you are immersed in the story and what's going on. Inside the ride stays in the style it is (dark ride with a shooting game element). However many other things change: starting with the cars. New cars that have a bit more movement to them, can rotate, and have a jeep theme to them. The actual track is changed to have some elevation changes done to it. The targets are replaced with some animitronics, some regular scenes, and some video screens. Throughout the ride you are shooting are cars, trucks, motorcycles, and predators of the sarafi lands.

That's it for Safari Village. I like the idea of keeping this section of the park rather small and intimate compared to other parts.
Thanks given by:  Connor, RollyCoaster, Joe, SLC Headache, jornor
12/04/17 at 08:24am in Kings Dominion future grand vision
This is literally the worst and most useless plan I’ve ever heard. Thanks for wasting 5 minutes of my life.

Anaconda without loops? Uh no. Unless they’re going to make it a hyper like Phantom’s Revenge.
Thanks given by:  Thomas
12/04/17 at 09:39am in Kings Dominion future grand vision (Latest Edit: 12/04/17 at 10:40am by Nicole.)
I'm not sure what that kind of rude comment contributes to discussion. The concepts sub-forum is specifically intended for people to present and debate the merits of crazy concepts they have developed.

It is never appropriate to makes statements like, "This is literally the worst and most useless plan I’ve ever heard. Thanks for wasting 5 minutes of my life."

If you consider posts about peoples personal vision for the park to be useless and waste of time, don't read these threads. If one post in particular bothers you, just close it and move on.

Before anyone claims I am creating a double standard, there is a huge difference between presenting unsubstantiated rumors as facts (ie, the Madrid thread) and posting things that you would like to see done to the park (is, the Concepts Sub-Forum). The former is unethical and the latter is a great opportunity for community discussion.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  Pretzel Kaiser, John, Connor, Gavin, RollyCoaster, Unagi, Joe, jeffh, Zimmy, warfelg, MAZ, sufpadd, jornor
12/04/17 at 06:25pm in Kings Dominion future grand vision (Latest Edit: 12/04/17 at 08:37pm by Joe.)
I for one think it is a solid and well thought-out plan. I'm not personally a fan of warfelg's proposed racing theme, but honestly carving a secondary themed area out of the more open section of Safari Village is an intriguing idea. I also really like the idea of replacing Crypt with a similarly-sized flat ride while preserving the theming.

Warfelg, I'm excited to see the next installment of your concepts.

Find Busch Dominion:
Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Thanks given by:  Nicole, RollyCoaster, Gavin, warfelg, MAZ, sufpadd, jornor
12/05/17 at 12:38am in Kings Dominion future grand vision (Latest Edit: 12/05/17 at 12:43am by netdvn.)
If I were to make any criticisms.

Please no VR on Flight of Fear. The crew is already bad enough as is. Adding VR would take the usual 45+ minute wait this thing gets and easily double or triple that.

Boo Blasters is fine the way it is (at least it was the last time I rode it). No real need to fix something that isn't really broken.

Not too keen on removing Crypt. It has its issues but its a pretty solid ride when it does run. A Disko would be a nice addition to KD though. I'd probably add that as an extra flat in the speed area.

Everything else would be great for the area. Would def take out the last remaining "bad" coaster at KD and give that chicken place a good refurb for the speed area.

Project Geauga Lake - Photos! - BGW Crowd Calendar - Don't look back, as you brave the Black Forest
12/05/17 at 09:02am in Kings Dominion future grand vision
AS we reported before, it appears that Crypt may be on the chopping block, regardless.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  warfelg, Joe, Connor, jornor
12/05/17 at 10:37am in Kings Dominion future grand vision (Latest Edit: 12/05/17 at 10:41am by warfelg.)
(12/04/17 06:25pm)Joe Wrote:  I for one think it is a solid and well thought-out plan. I'm not personally a fan of warfelg's proposed racing theme, but honestly carving a secondary themed area out of the more open section of Safari Village is an intriguing idea. I also really like the idea of replacing Crypt with a similarly-sized flat ride while preserving the theming.

Warfelg, I'm excited to see the next installment of your concepts.

I didn't expect everyone to love that, but we are on the edge of hard core NASCAR country, and I wanted to do something that I-305 would be the centerpiece for without having to massively retheme the area.

(12/05/17 12:38am)netdvn Wrote:  If I were to make any criticisms.

Please no VR on Flight of Fear. The crew is already bad enough as is. Adding VR would take the usual 45+ minute wait this thing gets and easily double or triple that.

I ultimately landed on that with the alternative being to make it a dirtbike theme and just put a bunch of flashing lights, cheering noises, and props to make it look like a dirt race track.

(12/05/17 12:38am)netdvn Wrote:  Boo Blasters is fine the way it is (at least it was the last time I rode it). No real need to fix something that isn't really broken.

Not everything has to be about fixing something that is broken. In this case because I'm taking away part of Safari Village I was looking at a way to add to it without having to move too much. So I think updating Boo Blasters and rerouting the entrace to be part of Sarafi Village would be a nice fit.

(12/05/17 12:38am)netdvn Wrote:  Not too keen on removing Crypt. It has its issues but its a pretty solid ride when it does run. A Disko would be a nice addition to KD though. I'd probably add that as an extra flat in the speed area.

Just going off rumor per Nicole

(12/05/17 12:38am)netdvn Wrote:  Everything else would be great for the area. Would def take out the last remaining "bad" coaster at KD and give that chicken place a good refurb for the speed area.

Thanks for the feedback!
Thanks given by:  Nicole, jornor
12/05/17 at 11:23am in Kings Dominion future grand vision
My favorite suggestion in this is the Boo Blasters retheme / queue reroute. "Boo Blasters" honestly sounds generic to me.

Also like the idea of Anaconda being given the Phantom's Revenge treatment. Wasn't Kings Dominion once rumored to be getting a Morgan hyper back in the early 00s? With Twisted Timbers most likely having a 48" minimum and featuring inversions, the park can afford to lose Anaconda, unlike Dorney where losing Laser was pretty big.

I'm torn on the Backlot retheme. I've seen posts here about retheming Backlot to fit the Safari Village.
Thanks given by:  warfelg, jornor
12/05/17 at 01:55pm in Kings Dominion future grand vision
So a few days off here, so I think I'm going to have time to finish off this off this week.  I'm torn on which side to do next, something that would be a controversial change, or something kinda straight forward....I think I'm going to leave the big talking point one to the end here.

OK here we go:
OLD VIRGINIA -

The old theater for action sports and lost world stays as a show, but I would like to see it turned into a "Soarin'" style projector motion simulator "Flying the Blue Ridge".  Using a drone footage of the Appalachian Mountains, Blue Ridge Parkway, Shenandoah Mountains, you get a birds eye view of all of that.

Shenandoah Lumber Company - just some TLC to keep it going.  Every park needs a good flume.

White Water Canyon - again, just give a ton of TLC there.

King's Dominion Theater - Boot the Cirques Dule thing out of there.  I get how longshot of a dream this would be, but having excerpts of Hamilton would be great.

Ok, longshot dream over, I would like a take on "A Yankee in King Arthur's Court" by transporting a current Virginia resident to the final days of the American Revolution.

OK, final few things before the last big part of this:
Moving Flying Eagles to elsewhere in the park.
Personally I do away with Xtreme Skyflyer
Grand Prix Raceway is also getting moved.
Grizzly's entrance will get relocated.

So what goes in that area?

A grand entrance plaza leading back into the woods some ways.  Along the in the former Dinosaurs Alive path a flat or two.  What could really go in back there I'm blanking on at the moment, but what goes far back there?

Ok so my inspiration comes from what they've done in CP, Carrowwinds, CW - A 'visual eyecandy' piece to draw people in.  So, along the edge of the park and I-95, a B&M wing coaster.  Lifthill parallel to Grizzly, with a twist dive, vertical loop, followed by a giant corkscrew, an airtime hill, banked turn between White Water Canyon and Shenandoah Lumber, with a dive loop to turn around, followed by a up then down helix to turn you back, airtime hill, inline twist with a near miss moment with the corkscrew, snakedive into the brake run.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1Ap0X...sp=sharing

Link to the coaster path.

Ok, I'll be back a little later today for another section.
Thanks given by:  jornor
12/06/17 at 11:10am in Kings Dominion future grand vision
Ok, I'm going to take on 2 areas today:

The back area by Twisted Timbers, I want to rename it "Hanover Orchard". Bring the story from Twisted Timbers out a bit more into the park and make more of an area out of it than a ride.

And obviously with Twisted Timbers being new, nothing changes there.

In the last post to update Old Virginia, I moved Grizzly's entrance and took out Xtreme Skyflyer. In the old location of Xtreme Skyflyer goes the new entrance for Grizzly. Along with that I would bring CGI in for a re-tracking and refurb on Grizzly. Not as extensive as Twisted Timbers, more akin to what Rebel Yell is getting.

WindSeeker is going to get relocated in my plan (it is staying in the park though!!). In it's place (because later you will see that drop tower is to be removed) I would put an S&S triple tower akin to what Hersheypark did with 3 different heights.

Ricochet is also coming out in this plan, and here's where I would for sure put a giant disco.

Juke Box Diner would become "The Apple Dumpling", and for food would feature fried chicken, ribs, apple pie, just some good ole country food.

Lastly a stage between where the diner and windseeker currently stand with a 3 time a day music show, just playing current and classic country music with a live band.
12/06/17 at 11:31am in Kings Dominion future grand vision
(12/05/17 01:55pm)warfelg Wrote:  Ok so my inspiration comes from what they've done in CP, Carrowwinds, CW - A 'visual eyecandy' piece to draw people in.  So, along the edge of the park and I-95, a B&M wing coaster.  Lifthill parallel to Grizzly, with a twist dive, vertical loop, followed by a giant corkscrew, an airtime hill, banked turn between White Water Canyon and Shenandoah Lumber, with a dive loop to turn around, followed by a up then down helix to turn you back, airtime hill, inline twist with a near miss moment with the corkscrew, snakedive into the brake run.
So KD gets a GateKeeper of sorts and becomes the first Mid-Atlantic park to get a wing coaster? My new favorite suggestion.

(12/06/17 11:10am)warfelg Wrote:  Ricochet is also coming out in this plan, and here's where I would for sure put a giant disco.
Would we be moving Delirium here? Or do you mean something like Pipe Scream / Northern Lights?
12/06/17 at 12:00pm in Kings Dominion future grand vision (Latest Edit: 12/06/17 at 12:02pm by warfelg.)
Ok do I don't want to hold off too much on this one, so this is the changes that are bound to bring me some heat:

Everything from the Kings Dominion side of Rebel Yell that is part of Soak City is going to get relocated a little further back into Soak City. I feel it's strange that it's split on either side of Rebel Yell.

That entire area is going to become a boardwalk themed area. I'm really struggling for a name other than SoakCity Boardwalk.

Anyways: A slight reroute/addition to Rebel Yell's entrance to put it over by where the back of Candy Apple Arcade is and FreeStylin.

Americana gets relocated a bit to the base of the tallest point of Rebel Yell is to give a nice backdrop for a picture of both.

Drop Tower gets pulled, and this is where Windseeker gets relocated, with it's entrance is where the other side of FreeStylin is.

Where the current back turn of the Lazy River is near the end of the loop, up to the current locations of the Baja Bends Would be a compact Eurofighter style. In my mind it's something like Thunderbolt at Coney Island.

Back where Tornado and the lockerrooms are, I would like to see some food stands, like hotdogs, ice cream, and others like that.

Between the food and new Euro Fighter would go some typical boardwalk style games. Keep the middle somewhat open, with a stage. Different shows there with music by Jimmy Buffett, Beach Boys, and other similar acts.

Down where the pass under Rebel Yell is to the other part of Soak City, would go a more grand entrance to the area, using steel to support Rebel Yell, digging out a bit to dip under some more headroom and side to side space to make the path much wider.

(12/06/17 11:31am)SLC Headache Wrote:  So KD gets a GateKeeper of sorts and becomes the first Mid-Atlantic park to get a wing coaster? My new favorite suggestion.

Yup. Two birds, one stone.

(12/06/17 11:31am)SLC Headache Wrote:  Would we be moving Delirium here? Or do you mean something like Pipe Scream / Northern Lights?

Something more like Pip Scream, although with what I'm thinking this might not be a bad idea.
Thanks given by:  RollyCoaster, jornor
12/06/17 at 01:54pm in Kings Dominion future grand vision
(12/06/17 12:00pm)warfelg Wrote:  Ok do I don't want to hold off too much on this one, so this is the changes that are bound to bring me some heat:

Everything from the Kings Dominion side of Rebel Yell that is part of Soak City is going to get relocated a little further back into Soak City.  I feel it's strange that it's split on either side of Rebel Yell.

I've always wanted to see this happen. (Of course, I'd love to see that entire section of the waterpark replaced by a lake!!!) In addition, I'd make a second entrance to the water park between TT and Ricochet (or whatever it is you replaced Ricochet with). I'd also love to see a second parking lot back on the old safari area, with a dedicated water park entrance.
Thanks given by:  warfelg, RollyCoaster, jornor
12/06/17 at 06:23pm in Kings Dominion future grand vision
(12/06/17 01:54pm)mtpelepele Wrote:  I've always wanted to see this happen. (Of course, I'd love to see that entire section of the waterpark replaced by a lake!!!) In addition, I'd make a second entrance to the water park between TT and Ricochet (or whatever it is you replaced Ricochet with). I'd also love to see a second parking lot back on the old safari area, with a dedicated water park entrance.

I was actually going that direction with part of my plans!! I’ll tackle the part that uses that tomorrow.
Thanks given by:  RollyCoaster, jornor

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |