ParkFans Logo

8/21/17 Trip Report

08/22/17 at 04:42pm in 8/21/17 Trip Report
I visited Six Flags Great Adventure yesterday. Here is my trip report in no particular order.

Kingda Ka - It’s tall, fast, and lacks any other substance. I did it once and have no desire to ride it again. Rating: 0/10 Located in NJ

El Toro - It’s...fine. It’s an intense wooden coaster that has some fun elements. I wouldn’t call it “amazing” by any standard. Rating: 0/10 Located in NJ

The Joker - This reminds me of Tempesto in that its pretty short, has terrible capacity, and doesn’t have any of the forces associated with coasters. I also don’t get why they call it a “4D” coaster when it only moves on two axes. Rating: 0/10 Located in NJ

Harley Quinn Crazy Train - This small Zerier is interesting because the length of the train. This allows for some interesting forces where you wouldn’t expect them. I’m not sure I would make an effort to ride every trip though. Rating: 10/10 Harley Quinn is the top Waifu.

Bizzaro- Pretty fun B&M, one of my favorite coasters of the trip. I also love the various bits of theming which looks like close calls. Rating: 0/10 Located in NJ

Houdini’s Great Escape- A neat little dark flat ride that probably doesn’t have any business in a Six Flags park. I’ve never been on anything like this before and was pretty disorientating until I figured out what was happening. Rating: 0/10 Located in NJ

Nitro- A great B&M Hyper that gets up there with Apollo. Rating: 0/10 Located in NJ

The Dark Knight Coaster- Can there be a rule that all Wild Mouse coasters are indoors? It was a pretty great attempt to do a properly themed ride (though a bit sloppy at times) and it was one of the highlights for me. Rating: 0/10 Located in NJ

Justice League- It’s always great to go on a shiny and new dark ride when all the effects are working.It’s a great interactive dark ride with a nice mix of practical effects mixed in with the projections. Rating: 0/10 Located in NJ

Batman the Ride- Not a terrible invert, but not really great given how small it is. Not that small coasters can’t be good, but small B&M inverts mean pacing is fucked up for my tastes. Rating: 0/10 Located in NJ

Skull Mountain- You might be able to tell from before but I love indoor coasters, so this scratched my itch pretty well. Fun zippy layout in the almost dark. The building does a shitty job keeping it dark and there are random lit up props just thrown in there with little thought. Rating: 0/10 Located in NJ

Unfortunately Runaway Mine Train was closed, which I was pretty disappointed about because I love mine train coasters. I also skipped Superman because I hate flying coasters and I skipped Green Lantern because I hate standing coasters.

The Safari was pretty cool. It’s probably the best way to see animals given a choice. I just wish they paced the trucks better because at one point the line didn’t move for about 20 minutes while we waited for trucks to come.

In general, the park was pretty on par with what I come to expect from a Six Flags. Kind of dirty, operations ranged from mediocre to terrible, and obnoxious ads everywhere. The ride collection isn’t terrible, but given how much the coaster community clamors about this park, I have to say that I’m kind of disappointed (thanks, nerds…).

I wouldn’t mind coming back again in the future, but I can not see myself making another trip for it. If pressed, I would have to say that my favorite coaster was Bizzaro.

Final Park Rating: 0/10 Located in NJ
Thanks given by:  Cthru3, Nicole, Zimmy, UncleDuncan
08/22/17 at 04:49pm in 8/21/17 Trip Report
So wait... No matter if you liked the ride or not you gave it a 0 out of 10 because it was in NJ?

I've always considered El Toro pretty fantastic and it ties with Holiday World's The Voyage for my top wood coaster spot. Other than those two rides, I don't really rank coasters.

Waking up fresh every mornin'; Openin' up for you; Waitin' for your laughter; With so much new to do! Busch—Gardens! Busch—Gardens! Come to Busch Gardens and come to life! Come to Busch Gardens and come—to life!
Contact Me: Private Message | Email | Twitter | Coaster Count
08/22/17 at 04:52pm in 8/21/17 Trip Report
Maybe I was trying to do a joke or something?
Thanks given by:  Cthru3, Nicole, Zimmy
08/22/17 at 05:40pm in 8/21/17 Trip Report
Were you able to do the whole park in one day?
08/22/17 at 05:50pm in 8/21/17 Trip Report
It was a Monday and I skipped two major coasters. But yeah.
Thanks given by:  Cthru3, Zimmy
08/22/17 at 06:24pm in 8/21/17 Trip Report
I've done it in one day. And I did everything. Also: meh.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  Cthru3, Zimmy
08/22/17 at 07:03pm in 8/21/17 Trip Report
I always hear bad things about 6 flags parks. They all seem to have that one ride you have to go for. I always hear this one and Texas are the best. Also those two have multiple supposedly good coasters. Kind of sad to hear meh reviews. Also makes me glad BGW is my home park.
08/22/17 at 07:12pm in 8/21/17 Trip Report (Latest Edit: 08/22/17 at 10:50pm by Nicole.)
I really enjoyed Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in the California Bay Area. And I like SFA.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
08/22/17 at 07:33pm in 8/21/17 Trip Report (Latest Edit: 08/22/17 at 10:50pm by Nicole.)
(08/22/17 07:12pm)Nicole Wrote:  I really enjoyed Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in the California Bay Area.  And I like SFA.
I'm willing to give them all a chance as a kid I went to SFoG. It wasn't Busch Gardens. I remember it being packed and dirty. It was hot from lack of shade. All of the lines were long. Ive been told SFA is one of the worst and to stay away. I haven't been so I can't pass any judgement. I also am more willing to give it a chance hearing that at least you like that one.
Thanks given by:  Nicole
08/22/17 at 07:42pm in 8/21/17 Trip Report
To be fair, Six Flags is really trying to do one thing, and that's rides. They don't really try to be well rounded like BGW.
08/22/17 at 10:53pm in 8/21/17 Trip Report (Latest Edit: 08/22/17 at 10:54pm by Nicole.)
SFDK was clean. It was heavily themed. The staff were friendly.

My observation is that both CF and SF parks can be charming, if the park was nice before it was bought. Obviously, they can become run down, but some of them are clearly maintained by attentive local management.

There is a lot of received wisdom about which parks are nice and which are bad. I have found those agreed upon truths, very often you be incorrect.

08/22/17 at 11:17pm in 8/21/17 Trip Report
I think Dorney may be a good example of this. When I was there in the early mid 90s it was... bad... But clearly it was also under renovation. I have heard that since it has blossomed and is now beautiful.

Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate! - William of Occam
I'm serious now, who here wants my job? - NASA Director James Webb
Thanks given by:  Nicole

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |