ParkFans Logo

Winterfest 2018

08/20/17 at 11:48pm in Winterfest 2018 (Latest Edit: 08/21/17 at 12:01am by jornor.)
WinterFest is Free for 2018 Gold, Platinum and Pre-K Season Passholders!

Kings Dominion will be magically transformed into a winter wonderland full of enchantment and holiday cheer! Become immersed in the season's spirit with spectacular holiday lights and decor, world-class live entertainment, savory treats and fanciful experiences throughout the park.

CRAFTER’S CORNER

Looking for the perfect gift for everyone on your list? Unique gifts and more will be available at Crafters Corner, where some of the best crafters in the region will be featured. Interested in becoming one of our Crafters? Contacts us here.

HOLIDAY FLAVORS TO SAVOR

Feast on scrumptious holiday favorites including roast turkey, hot chocolate, peppermint fudge and so much more!

FAMILY RIDES AND ATTRACTIONS

The holidays are even more cheerful when you can experience some of your favorite attractions. Select rides and attractions will be open for families and friends to enjoy together (weather pending).

HOLIDAY SIGHTS TO BEHOLD

Millions of lights and falling snow will adorn the midways and uniquely themed areas. International Street will be transformed into a winter wonderland complete with a 70-foot tall Christmas tree decorated with over 40,000 ornaments while the Eiffel Tower is converted into a 300-foot Christmas tree featuring a state-of-the-art light show.

SOUNDS OF THE SEASON

We’re spreading Christmas cheer and singing loud for all to hear! Catch performances of Cool Yule Christmas, Jingle Jazz and be dazzled by Snoopy and the gang in Snoopy’s Ice Show.

FESTIVE FUN FOR ALL

Enjoy ice skating on Snowflake Lake in the shadow of the iconic Eiffel Tower, visit the North Pole Post Office where elves will help the kids mail a letter to Santa, decorate cookies in Mrs. Claus’ Kitchen and more.
Thanks given by:  SWStevo, Connor, sufpadd, Jesy, Nicole, Zimmy, Joe, tursiops, luseendesi
09/17/17 at 03:53pm in Winterfest 2018 (Latest Edit: 09/17/17 at 07:01pm by Nicole.)
I'm not entirely sure why, but KD has put up several Winterfest 2018 displays.  PK got some pictures for us, which he already posted to the Haunt 2017 thread.  I thought it might make sense to have them here, as well.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  coasterdude205, Connor, phurst, RollyCoaster, jornor, Jesy, Zachary, Unagi
09/24/17 at 11:57pm in Winterfest 2018
maybe they figure this is when they will capture the most marketing attention? Big crowds??

Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate! - William of Occam
I'm serious now, who here wants my job? - NASA Director James Webb
Thanks given by:  jornor, SWStevo
09/25/17 at 12:21pm in Winterfest 2018 (Latest Edit: 09/25/17 at 07:45pm by Nicole.)
I'd agree, if the event were starting this year and not in 2018.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  Zimmy, jornor
09/25/17 at 06:16pm in Winterfest 2018
With all of this heavy advertising, I thought at first that it was this year. If I didn't read this site so much I probably would have been at the front gate for Winterfest wondering "Where is everybody?" Laughing

Find Me: Twitter | SoundCloud | YouTube
Contact Me: Private Message | Email
"Be careful what you wish for, be sure your wish is wise."
Thanks given by:  Zachary, jeffh, Nicole, SMcS, horsesboy, Zimmy, MAZ, jornor
09/26/17 at 12:10pm in Winterfest 2018
Same. I missed that it was not for another year.

Thanks given by:  Nicole, CastleOSullivan, jornor, horsesboy
09/26/17 at 04:52pm in Winterfest 2018
The moose out front shoulda told ya.

Where? Behind the rabbit?
Thanks given by:  Joe, jeffh, phurst, AlpenChariot, SMcS, Zimmy, CastleOSullivan, sufpadd, jornor, RollyCoaster, horsesboy
10/15/17 at 12:29pm in Winterfest 2018
At ACE's Fall Thrillfest yesterday we got some information on Winterfest.

Gary Chadwick said much of Safari Village will be closed. We aren't sure what they consider to be included, however. Flight of Fear? Intimidator? Honestly, it will make me sad, if they don't open Avalanche.

He also said that they will keep as many of the remaining rides open as possible, depending on the weather. So, attractions could be open earlier in the day and then shut down, as the mercury drops.

Thanks given by:  Luke, Zachary, CastleOSullivan, Unagi, SWStevo, horsesboy, jornor
10/15/17 at 12:34pm in Winterfest 2018
Avalanche and Flight of Fear should be in the list.
Thanks given by:  Luke, SWStevo, jornor
10/16/17 at 10:34am in Winterfest 2018
I've never really understood the correlation between temperature and a parks ability to run a ride. Is it just that it's uncomfortable for the guests, or is there an actual mechanical reason a coaster can't operate in the cold. Can someone enlighten me?
Thanks given by:  SWStevo
10/16/17 at 10:44am in Winterfest 2018
Manufacturers have operating temps for the rides for mechanical reasons. I'm not an engineer, but I would imagine that hydrolic fluid might have something to do with it.
Thanks given by:  phurst, Nicole, Connor, Zachary, Zimmy, SWStevo, Youhow2, horsesboy, jornor
10/17/17 at 07:57am in Winterfest 2018 (Latest Edit: 10/17/17 at 07:59am by bill s.)
Some coasters will actually valley due to the drag of cold wheels, see Nitro at SFGAdv which they do run in all weather, B&M notwithstanding. When I was there last on a chilly morning, they made everyone sit in the front. They can change wheel types, if it warms up then you get a faster ride. I305 runs noticeably slower in the cold, but no chance whatsoever of valleying and it certainly feels fast enough on your face.
Thanks given by:  Pretzel Kaiser, phurst, CastleOSullivan, SWStevo, Youhow2, jornor
10/25/17 at 04:17am in Winterfest 2018
The following are just some thoughts, they are not meant to be taken as gospel. I am not a coaster engineer.

metal alloys can become brittle at low temps. Often rides flex and bend (watch Nessie some time) Further lubricants have ideal working temps. If you have ever owned a car in a cold region you may recall that it may have been necessary for you to use a special oil or transmission fluid. This is also why motor oil can break down at high temp.
I don't know the specifics but in modern rides, particularly B&Ms tolerances are very tight. Hence the smooth ride. the down side of tight tolerances is a lack of slop and therefore less flexibility in alloys and lubricants.

Thanks given by:  phurst, CastleOSullivan, Kyle, horsesboy, jornor
11/04/17 at 09:47am in Winterfest 2018
Remember how Chad said Winterfest will feature over a dozen live shows, and how many of us thought he was just grossly overestimating?

Looks like he may be telling to truth. Kings Island's Winterfest has a whopping lineup of 14 live shows, so it would come as no surprise if KD had a similar number. Granted, many of these shows are smaller street performances, but nonetheless, 14 live shows is nothing to squawk at.

Find Busch Dominion:
Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Thanks given by:  Zachary, Nicole, jeffh, horsesboy, Jesy, jornor
11/04/17 at 10:01am in Winterfest 2018
Included in that lineup is a show called "What the Dickens?!" and a sing-along "show."

I'm cringing.

Find Me: Twitter | Facebook | Google+
Contact Me: Private Message | Email

Our biggest foe is our inclination towards complacency and willingness to settle for mediocrity.
Thanks given by:  Nicole, CastleOSullivan, horsesboy

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |