ParkFans Logo

BGW Wins "World’s Most Beautiful Amusement Park" Again

08/07/17 at 03:20pm in BGW Wins "World’s Most Beautiful Amusement Park" Again (Latest Edit: 08/07/17 at 03:23pm by Nicole.)
Busch Gardens Williamsburg Wrote:BUSCH GARDENS® CONTINUES PRESTIGIOUS STREAK AS “WORLD’S MOST BEAUTIFUL AMUSEMENT PARK”

Busch Gardens® Williamsburg wins award for 27th consecutive year.

WILLIAMSBURG, Virginia (Aug. 7, 2017) – Busch Gardens® Williamsburg continues a prestigious annual tradition by being crowned “World’s Most Beautiful Amusement Park” for the 27th consecutive year.

The National Amusement Park Historical Association recently bestowed the honor upon Busch Gardens, extending an impressive streak that dates back to 1990.

“Being recognized as the ‘World’s Most Beautiful Amusement Park’ for 27 consecutive years is a tremendous achievement we’re all very proud of,” said Busch Gardens Williamsburg President David Cromwell. “This award reflects our unparalleled, collective excellence, which is demonstrated daily through a tireless commitment to quality, attention to detail and ownership of the guest experience.”

The award was part of the 31st annual NAPHA Amusement Park and Attractions Survey, the oldest of its type.

The NAPHA is an international organization dedicated to the preservation, documentation and enjoyment of the amusement and theme park industry—past, present and future.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  Eric, Merboy, Connor, Unagi, jornor, CastleOSullivan, Flyer, thopping
Awarding mediocrity only perpetuates it.

“When the preferable is not available, the available becomes preferable!” ― Israelmore Ayivor

Wisdom from a mug ~ In the time before airlines & electricity, the countries of medieval Europe developed distinctive styles architecture suited to their regions. Traditions & culture grew separately as well. The diverse heritage of many Americans is celebrated here in Busch Gardens at Williamsburg.
Thanks given by:  Haberdasher1973, Joe, Mad Ludwig, Luke, Zachary
Still, very happy to hear it. Grinning

The Lantern Light.com
Thanks given by:  jornor, deacfan31, phurst
BGW still has a massive landscape advantage... Most parks are just flat fields with rides. "Most Beautiful" can encompass more than just flower beds.

Google+ | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Thanks given by:  Pretzel Kaiser, Zimmy, Haberdasher1973, Unagi, Joe, jornor, Mad Ludwig, CastleOSullivan, jonfin826
08/07/17 at 04:54pm in BGW Wins "World’s Most Beautiful Amusement Park" Again (Latest Edit: 08/07/17 at 04:55pm by BGW Family.)
^True. They could always just add another huge-ass red coke bottle somewhere to spruce things up, too.Winking_tongue_out

Wisdom from a mug ~ In the time before airlines & electricity, the countries of medieval Europe developed distinctive styles architecture suited to their regions. Traditions & culture grew separately as well. The diverse heritage of many Americans is celebrated here in Busch Gardens at Williamsburg.
Thanks given by:  Haberdasher1973, jornor, Mad Ludwig, Luke, Merboy, Zachary
08/07/17 at 05:17pm in BGW Wins "World’s Most Beautiful Amusement Park" Again (Latest Edit: 08/07/17 at 05:17pm by whanna.)
To be nitpicky/math police:
Wouldn't that make it 28 years, 1990 - 2017? The first award was delivered in 1990, this one delivered in 2017, that's 28 awards. FWIW, last year they called it the 26th. I don't know "new math", but they should have 28 certificates on the wall with this newest one just announced.
Thanks given by:  jornor, Zachary
math is hard!

Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate! - William of Occam
I'm serious now, who here wants my job? - NASA Director James Webb
Thanks given by:  jornor
I kinda read the thread title like, :Sigh, we won again: Maybe they should send the intern to pick it up this time?
Don't confuse my thread title with the park's press release.

I was implying that perhaps they won it because they always do, not necessarily because they objectively deserve it.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  Mad Ludwig, Zimmy, BGW Family, Merboy, Haberdasher1973
08/07/17 at 07:43pm in BGW Wins "World’s Most Beautiful Amusement Park" Again (Latest Edit: 08/07/17 at 07:45pm by Shane.)
(08/07/17 05:17pm)whanna Wrote:  To be nitpicky/math police:
Wouldn't that make it 28 years, 1990 - 2017? The first award was delivered in 1990, this one delivered in 2017, that's 28 awards. FWIW, last year they called it the 26th. I don't know "new math", but they should have 28 certificates on the wall with this newest one just announced.

It's 27 years, this award is for the 2016 season. The awards are given the summer after the season they were awarded for, ie 2014's award was given August 2015; 1999's award was given August 2000, etc etc.

Waking up fresh every mornin'; Openin' up for you; Waitin' for your laughter; With so much new to do! Busch—Gardens! Busch—Gardens! Come to Busch Gardens and come to life! Come to Busch Gardens and come—to life!
Contact Me: Private Message | Email | Twitter | Coaster Count
Thanks given by:  jornor, whanna, luseendesi, Alf33, Zachary, Haberdasher1973, Flyer
Interesting....I always considered BGW to be a 'theme' park. (who wins in the 'theme' park category?)

Where? Behind the rabbit?
Thanks given by:  SLC Headache
(08/07/17 06:59pm)Nicole Wrote:  Don't confuse my thread title with the park's press release.

I was implying that perhaps they won it because they always do, not necessarily because they objectively deserve it.

This!

I hade the same thought. Its not just their above average landscape Busch has on its side, but also a 26 (and now 27) year streak. How impressively landscaped and themed would an amusement park have to be to deserve to take the title from from a park that's won 26 consecutive times?

On the flip side, Busch is the most beautiful theme park of the few I've visited, and I'm sure it outshines many others.

"So you wish to tour my castle? You'll simply die when you see it."
Thanks given by:  jornor, Haberdasher1973
(08/07/17 07:43pm)Shane Wrote:  It's 27 years, this award is for the 2016 season. The awards are given the summer after the season they were awarded for, ie 2014's award was given August 2015; 1999's award was given August 2000, etc etc.
And that's what I thought it may be, but they received an award in 1990, based on the admittedly tiny research I did. That means it would have been for 1989 performance.

It doesn't really matter, it's my favorite park (and I drive past Hersheypark twice a day). Just one of those things.
Thanks given by:  jornor
Not to be negative or mean...but I really don't think it deserves it this year. Landscaping looks really bad. Not even close to how it use to look.
Thanks given by:  Mad Ludwig, Joe, jornor, BGW Family, Zachary, Haberdasher1973
I feel like this topic of conversation comes up every year when the Golden Tickets or the NAPHA awards are presented in relation to how a category's legacy winners are always the winner.

The big problem with the NAPHA Awards is that the pool of survey participants is stagnant and many participants have not been to the parks they are casting a ballot for in many years. This isn't just a problem for the Beautiful Park category, but really all of the categories. It is not only is an problem with the NAPHA Awards, but also Amusement Today's Golden Tickets and really any of the other top Amusement Industry polls.

The issue is really that the candidates are spread across the globe, and it is virtually impossible for the respondent to experience all of the nominees in a category every year. Now I am not saying that the Oscars and awards or their caliber don't have their own problems, that is a whole other topic for debate, but unlike the Oscars or Golden Globes where you can basically be stationary and experience all of the contenders over a comparably shorter period of time, it's not plausible that all poll participants will have the time and financial resources to travel the globe and experience every park in every category every year.

I can't remember which of the two (Amusement Today or NAPHA), but I know in recent years they have attempted to diversify the voting pool, but I really don't think it has or will make that much of a difference. The only way we are going to see another park take this award from Busch Gardens Williamsburg is for a prospective park to not only surpass BGW in "beauty" but to do so in a really big way that may even require a specialized marketing campaign focused on this theoretical park's landscaping and beauty. That is what allows some of the other categories to change from time to time. A park can draw a lot of attention when they open a big, huge new ride, and the perceived change is noticed immediately. Something like landscaping is much more gradual and not readily apparent to the infrequent visitor as it's not something that a poll respondent would except to change very much or at all.

Waking up fresh every mornin'; Openin' up for you; Waitin' for your laughter; With so much new to do! Busch—Gardens! Busch—Gardens! Come to Busch Gardens and come to life! Come to Busch Gardens and come—to life!
Contact Me: Private Message | Email | Twitter | Coaster Count
Thanks given by:  halfabee, Joe, jornor, Nicole, Zimmy, Mad Ludwig, Unagi, Alf33, Zachary, Haberdasher1973

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |