ParkFans Logo

Tragic accident at Ohio State Fair

07/27/17 at 05:06am in Tragic accident at Ohio State Fair
A horrible accident involving a KMG Fireball/Afterburner yesterday left one person dead and seven injured.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/...story.html

Here's video of the accident.  It's very graphic so watch at your own risk!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QV_zTsmr1Q
Thanks given by:  Joe, Nicole
07/27/17 at 10:34am in Tragic accident at Ohio State Fair
I've never had much confidence in state fair rides, to be honest.

This is just so terrible.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  Unagi
07/27/17 at 04:24pm in Tragic accident at Ohio State Fair
I saw that Hershypark has closed their's as a precaution.
Thanks given by:  Thomas, Unagi
07/27/17 at 04:58pm in Tragic accident at Ohio State Fair
CNN video

I have always joked about fair rides being sketchy, heck PK and I went to the VA state fair a couple years ago and were excited to see bolts flying out of the gravitron, but this is a whole different thing.

Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate! - William of Occam
I'm serious now, who here wants my job? - NASA Director James Webb
Thanks given by:  Unagi, Nicole, horsesboy
07/27/17 at 05:14pm in Tragic accident at Ohio State Fair (Latest Edit: 07/27/17 at 05:14pm by Unagi.)
(07/27/17 04:24pm)Pretzel Kaiser Wrote:  I saw that Hershypark has closed their's as a precaution.

KMG, the manufacturer of the ride, has ordered all of them to cease operations for now.  The State of Tennessee has banned them as well.

http://nbc4i.com/2017/07/27/manufacturer...ype-rides/
Thanks given by:  Pretzel Kaiser, Nicole, horsesboy, Zimmy
07/28/17 at 03:51am in Tragic accident at Ohio State Fair (Latest Edit: 07/28/17 at 03:52am by Unagi.)
Here's pic of the ride where it broke apart.  I really don't see how state inspectors could've caught this.

Thanks given by:  RollyCoaster, SWStevo
07/28/17 at 04:37am in Tragic accident at Ohio State Fair
As much as the video hurt to watch, it appeared the station floor raised prematurely before the ride finished its cycle. I'm still puzzled as to how the fence (if the floor did in fact rise prematurely) managed to pull a piece the of vehicle apart.

When it comes to fairs I always watch the ride in motion multiple times, and examine the condition of the rides light display. If anything sounds wonky, don't ride. If they (Ride owner) are incapable of fixing a cheap light bulb on the ride, imagine the laziness and carelessness that takes place under the ride. Stay safe people!

Curse of "and things only go downhill from here" DarKastle
Thanks given by:  SWStevo
07/28/17 at 09:21am in Tragic accident at Ohio State Fair
If they can set it up and take it down in a single night I will not ride.

The Lantern Light.com
Thanks given by:  Joe, Connor
07/28/17 at 09:50pm in Tragic accident at Ohio State Fair
(07/28/17 04:37am)RollyCoaster Wrote:  As much as the video hurt to watch, it appeared the station floor raised prematurely before the ride finished its cycle.

After closely watching the video several times slowed down at .25, I don't think the floor was raised at all. You can see the legs of the riders still above it. It appears that the car that broke off impacted the floor before riders were thrown off. It's hard to tell though since the camera wasn't on the side of where it happened.
Thanks given by:  Zimmy, SWStevo
07/31/17 at 11:56am in Tragic accident at Ohio State Fair
Hershypark's Claw has been reopened.
08/07/17 at 01:14am in Tragic accident at Ohio State Fair
So it seems that the problem was corrosion. Particularly concerning considering that they had just inspected the damned thing. It really hammers home the notion that it is not enough to inspect but to have a proven inspection process.

Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate! - William of Occam
I'm serious now, who here wants my job? - NASA Director James Webb
Thanks given by:  Unagi, Joe, MAZ, SWStevo
08/07/17 at 01:10pm in Tragic accident at Ohio State Fair
I agree Zimmy. Learning from mistakes through corrective action process development is key. Especially when safety is the concern.

Where? Behind the rabbit?
Thanks given by:  Zimmy, SWStevo

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |