ParkFans Logo

Christmas Town 2017

07/10/17 at 10:56pm in Christmas Town 2017
What are your thoughts on this year's Christmas Town? Do you think InvadR will be added to this year's lineup? Do you think any shows will get replaced?

Rollercoaster?,oh, you must be talking about our festa landscaping project!
Thanks given by:  VikingvadR, jornor
07/11/17 at 08:55am in Christmas Town 2017
As long as Scrooge no More is playing, I'll be happy.
Thanks given by:  jornor, deacfan31, Joe, CastleOSullivan, BGmom
07/11/17 at 09:31am in Christmas Town 2017
I found this on the Audition page:
Quote:NEW CHRISTMAS TOWN SHOW: A Capella concert style show in San Marco Theatre created in collaboration with Loren Van Brenk, Tom Anderson and Peter Hollens.
Looks like Miracles is gone.
Thanks given by:  jornor, Glissade, Eric, boston191, deacfan31, Connor, Kyle, Zachary, Joe, CastleOSullivan
07/11/17 at 09:52am in Christmas Town 2017
WHAT ABOUT THE HUGGING?!
Thanks given by:  BGW Family, deacfan31, CastleOSullivan, jornor, Sky
07/11/17 at 01:01pm in Christmas Town 2017
No loss

Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate! - William of Occam
I'm serious now, who here wants my job? - NASA Director James Webb
Thanks given by:  deacfan31, Joe, jornor
07/11/17 at 03:36pm in Christmas Town 2017
YES!!!!

Google+ | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Thanks given by:  Kyle, jornor
07/11/17 at 07:04pm in Christmas Town 2017
That is one show during Christmas Town that is the most lack luster and doesn't have the same appeal as the others. So I'm interested If we will be getting a better show in its place?

"Proud son of Old Virginia"
Thanks given by:  jornor
07/12/17 at 06:18am in Christmas Town 2017
Peter Hollens is excellent. I don't know the other two. This could be interesting.
Thanks given by:  jornor
07/12/17 at 08:15pm in Christmas Town 2017
Although I don't think Miracles was the best in recent years, I think it had quite possibly the most beautifully orchestrated soundtrack of any Busch Gardens show. This new show better have good lighting and something pretty to look at, or else I don't think people will buy into it. However, I am excited to see if Busch Gardens Williamsburg can pull off a large show that is strictly vocal. Tampa has done wonders on a smaller scale with their Three Kings show. Similarly, a bit of lighting and a nice backdrop brought that from a cute street show level to a larger must-see show.

They are going to need to be even better than Gloria, and they can't afford to do that thing that so often happens in Gloria where every person is doing his or her own thing, trying to upstage everyone else. This could be a very good show, and hopefully it will bring a few more talented vocalists to the park to stay.

Find Me: Twitter | SoundCloud | YouTube
Contact Me: Private Message | Email
"Be careful what you wish for, be sure your wish is wise."
Thanks given by:  horsesboy, deacfan31, Jesy, jornor, Flyer
07/12/17 at 10:50pm in Christmas Town 2017
Other than straight up opera, outdoor vocals have a tendency to be on the sucky side. (Without perfect sound mixing.)

Where? Behind the rabbit?
Thanks given by:  jornor, Zimmy, Joe
07/13/17 at 02:23am in Christmas Town 2017 (Latest Edit: 07/13/17 at 02:25am by Zimmy.)
unless you are in a perfectly elliptical  space with the stage and actor/ singer standing precisely in one of the 2 foci vocals on an outdoor stages are always problematic.  The Greeks used a perfectly circular space as did Mr. Jefferson.  In these cases the human voice would carry to the permittee very well.  The Romans, who preferred not to be, "in the round" tended to use elliptically shaped spaces.  This sort of space has the advantage of directing the sound exactly to the opposite focus. (not coincidentally the workhorse of the lighting industry, the ERS uses the same principal with its mirror.)

I say all this to re-emphasis what MAZ is saying.

The upshot, we are not in ancient Greece or Rome, nor are we in the Rotunda at The University.  (ask me about nose whistling the Good Ole Song sometime)

The space in question has none of these advantages and thus must rely on sound re-enforcement.  (untrained and or badly trained voices who are used to using only mics do not help, but I, as usual digress)
Further complicating the issue, most of the mics are not handheld but body mics and the speaker locations are sub optimal.  All this adds to a...  sub-optimal environment for sound reinforcement.

Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate! - William of Occam
I'm serious now, who here wants my job? - NASA Director James Webb
07/13/17 at 08:19am in Christmas Town 2017
To be honest, I really like Christmas Town but it's not a strong enough draw to justify the drive from Raleigh and standing in the cold. Maybe if the shows were crazy good or if the food was off the chain...

The Lantern Light.com
Thanks given by:  Zimmy, BGWScream
07/13/17 at 11:13am in Christmas Town 2017 (Latest Edit: 07/13/17 at 12:02pm by BGW Family.)
Perchance the extreme change in show types was due to performing conditions. Weather constantly affected performances. It could be quite dangerous on an exposed stage considering the amount and type of physical performances involved. A less active show with more vocals and less movement could likely perform better, and more often, in these adverse conditions. Perhaps even more time for more hugging.

Wisdom from a mug ~ In the time before airlines & electricity, the countries of medieval Europe developed distinctive styles architecture suited to their regions. Traditions & culture grew separately as well. The diverse heritage of many Americans is celebrated here in Busch Gardens at Williamsburg.
Thanks given by:  Zachary, deacfan31, Jesy, CastleOSullivan, Sky, jornor, Peter R.
07/13/17 at 03:24pm in Christmas Town 2017
If I see even a single god damned hug in this show...

Google+ | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Thanks given by:  BGW Family, Zachary, deacfan31, Pretzel Kaiser
07/13/17 at 04:53pm in Christmas Town 2017
I'm just glad they are no longer asking dancers to risk career-ending injuries by dancing on that stage in those temperatures.

I do wish they would create a new dance-focused show inside during CT, however.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  Zimmy, CastleOSullivan, jornor, Flyer

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |