ParkFans Logo

REVIEW - Kraken Unleashed & Electric Ocean

So I got to experience Kraken Unleashed a two weeks ago for their soft opening event. Its quite the experience.

What I liked
- The VR is pretty well done. There is voiceover on the ride that you won't hear on the POVs. You'll have to ride it yourself.
- SWO is making an effort to keep capacity up as much as they can. There's a virtual queue setup where you have to reserve a time either online or at the park via Spot Saver. You're never waiting standby for more than 20 mins at a time
- Most of the ride feels smoother than it used to.
- The grab bars for the restraints are in a really comfy spot. I hope more B&Ms are retrofitted with grab bars like the ones on Kraken.

What I didn't like
- No more eggs Frowning
- Quotes in the queue line are gone - replaced with generic marine base theming and a few posters on the walls.
- Coaster still can't run in rain.
- Despite efforts to keep capacity up, capacity is still trash on this ride. For every three trains Mako dispatches, Kraken sends one.
- Most of this ride is smooth until you pass the loop going into the corkscrews. Then it gets really REALLY rattly.
- Make sure your headset is extra tight or it'll slip off. Mine almost did so I basically had to hold it down the entire second half of the ride.

I also attended Electric Ocean for the first time. I thought it was a cool concept but I happened to visit after the rain so literally everything was closed. The park pumps rave music on the speakers and there's supposed to be lots of glow stuff around but nothing was open.

There is a fireworks show at the end of the night but I had no idea it existed until I was about to leave and I heard fireworks going off by the lagoon. I did enjoy getting night rides on Manta and Mako though.

Project Geauga Lake - Photos! - BGW Crowd Calendar - Don't look back, as you brave the Black Forest
Thanks given by:  Nicole, Joe, phurst, CastleOSullivan, BGW Family, Connor, ElsaManta, Jesy, UncleDuncan
I got to ride Kraken Unleashed last week and was utterly disappointed. The major problem we had (besides the extremely low capacity) was that all three of our headsets views were clocked 90* to the left, meaning we had to look hard right to be seeing straight ahead, and for most of the ride we ended up looking a the rear wall of our submarine. I also found the headsets uncomfortable, and as you mentioned, had to physically hold mine on for most of the ride. I also noted that the headsets were notably ratty looking. I know they get a lot of use, but I would have expected slightly longer longevity.
Thanks given by:  Nicole, Joe
That's probably the worst review I've seen yet. Did you tell the ride attendants? I wonder if they would have let you re-ride with or without the headsets.

"Be careful what you wish for, be sure your wish is wise."
Thanks given by:  Joe
I had no desire to re-ride. I'd say I'll just skip the VR in the future, but the capacity is now so poor on this ride, unless it's a straight up walk-on, I don't think I'll be back on Kraken Pouting
Thanks given by:  Joe
This makes me sad, because Kraken in my opinion is a great ride.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  phurst
I don't want to go to SeaWorld and just not experience the VR, even if I only do it once. That said, it would be a crying shame if something like that happened. I mean literally. Kraken is probably my favorite coaster there.

To me, Kraken has a similar "pull" sensation to Alpengeist, but it feels like it has more positive g-forces. It isn't as jolting as Kumba though, which I might equate to a very well-designed Arrow. This is somewhere in-between.

I hope that SeaWorld/Busch Gardens has a good enough experience with Battle of Eire to choose not to do this in the future with a roller coaster.

"Be careful what you wish for, be sure your wish is wise."
Thanks given by:  RollyCoaster
I was at SWO December 27.

Now I love SeaWorld Orlando. It's my favorite park I've been to.

...I really do not like Kraken Unleashed's VR. At all. I think Kraken sans VR is a million times better. The new theming is cohesive enough imo, but I think the old was better. Also, why did we have to lose the kraken head at the entrance? I liked the kraken head.Tongue
As for the VR itself..
It kills capacity. I waited in line for 30 minutes WITH SpotSaver.
I felt like the headset would slip off for a lot of the ride, so I was holding it on most of the time, just in case. Also, I can get weirdly sensitive about things, and I hated the feel of it on my head.Tongue That is just me, though, and if I had found the VR impressive instead of disappointing, I don't think it would have bothered me as much.
I personally just found it very...blah. I didn't have high expectations for it honestly, and it didn't even meet that. I MUCH prefer the real-life surroundings rather than what was going on in the VR. Also, for me, the VR actually TOOK AWAY some of the thrill factor rather than adding to it. I know that sounds odd, but I would rather see the real things in the park going upside down as you go through the inversions rather than...looping around underwater. Yay. /sarcasm mode.
I feel like a lot of the VR's appeal would be from NOT knowing what comes next, and I have Kraken's layout memorized, so that is meh for me. I know exactly when all of the inversions are. This does not wreck non-VR coasters for me. I like memorizing ride layouts. But I do think it 'messed up' the VR in my head, because I was thinking "drop, vertical loop, dive loop, etc". I LOVE doing that on coasters, but I would say to try NOT to think like that when riding; maybe it would help.Smiling

After all my negativity...I do think the new theming is cohesive. I just prefer the old. The ride does feel smoother. A LOT smoother, actually. I heard people saying how much they liked it. (Though, I heard one girl say the VR made her feel sick. She didn't like not knowing where she was going.Tongue)

Also, on a silly note, I now know eating a full meal before riding a coaster doesn't make me sick. I ate chicken tenders and fries just before riding and felt perfectly fine.Winking That test was not done on purpose; it just happened because of when my SpotSaver time was and when we all had lunch. I just thought it was funny.

Coaster Count: 39
Top 5: Manta (SWO), Intimidator 305/Fury 325 (tie 'til I can decide), Mako, Apollo's Chariot
Thanks given by:  Joe, Nicole, Unagi, UncleDuncan, MAZ, CastleOSullivan, Pretzel Kaiser, Jesy
So far as I can tell VR is a complete disaster on roller coasters. To be fair my sole experience is at Funspot America Orlando. Sadly i have been told it is actually the best. (that, and well all of this is purely opinion)
I suspect the first potentially effective use of VR will be in BGW's Ireland. (frankly the system seems complicated, but if it works at least loading should be fairly efficient.)

Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate! - William of Occam
I'm serious now, who here wants my job? - NASA Director James Webb
Thanks given by:  CastleOSullivan
My experience on Kraken Unleashed wasn't better.
Thanks given by:  MAZ, Jesy

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |