ParkFans Logo

The Bug Thread

05/14/17 at 10:38am in The Bug Thread (Latest Edit: 05/14/17 at 01:09pm by Zachary.)
Maybe I'm in the minority, but encountering itchy insects at park's can ruin my visit, and sometimes the following week, too.  Last year I was forced to interact with ticks, mosquitos, and wasps.  It appears that my miniature enemies are already invading some of my favorite places to spend my free time this year.

I decided to put this thread in the Amusement Industry sub-forum, because I believe it is a problem that plagues multiple parks and chains.

The specific incident that motivated me to say something took place at SeaWorld Orlando yesterday.  We were there to check out the Seven Seas Food Festival.  The food was mixed, and unfortunately, so was the company.

Sitting on the Spice Mill patio, I began to notice that I was under seige by Florida's most prevalent airborne wildlife: swarms of mosquitos.

Before all y'all roll your eyes, and say "I bet you saw an alligator, too," yes, I am aware that mosquitos are part of any Florida experience.  I have personally, however, never had a problem at any of the Florida parks.  Historically, they have all been almost bug-free.  I think they treat the water or something.  

Regardless, for the first time my friends all exited SWO with itchy red welts as a special, free souvenir.

Anyway, my real purpose was to warn everyone to use bug spray at SWO this year.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  SMcS, Unagi, Zimmy, Patrick
05/14/17 at 08:04pm in The Bug Thread (Latest Edit: 05/14/17 at 08:42pm by Unagi.)
Florida insects this time of year are horrible.  Luckily for me, mosquitos don't bite me. I'm not sure why but I'm fine with it.  And I've been to SeaWorld, Disney and BGT and seen them annoy the hell out of people.  If you go to the WDW resort they have tables throughout each park where you can apply bug repellent for free.  They have them in huge bottles with pumps.  However, I haven't seen these at any other park chain there so at places like SeaWorld, Universal and BGT you would need to come prepared.

Thanks given by:  Nicole, Zachary
05/15/17 at 09:31am in The Bug Thread
I was surprised to encounter some biting flies at BGW yesterday in Ireland. I've never had a problems with any bugs at BGW before. I'm hoping it was a just fluke due to all the recent rains.
Thanks given by:  Nicole
05/15/17 at 10:34am in The Bug Thread
Having flies outdoors is an unspeakable crime.

Google+ | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Thanks given by:  Zimmy
05/15/17 at 01:24pm in The Bug Thread (Latest Edit: 05/15/17 at 01:25pm by Nicole.)
I think the point is that historically the parks have been very successful in eliminating most of the biting and stinging insects. There is a legitimate danger of the spread of disease.

Also, itchiness and pain.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
05/15/17 at 03:34pm in The Bug Thread
Don't flies live for like one day? Two...three. They should be gone next time you visit right?

Where? Behind the rabbit?
Thanks given by:  Pretzel Kaiser
05/15/17 at 10:07pm in The Bug Thread
I guess the lyrics to "The Blackfly Song" that plays in New France are actually pretty relevant here:
Quote:And the black flies, the little black flies
Always the black fly, no matter where you go
I'll die with the black fly a-picking my bones
In north on-tar-i-o-i-o, in north on-tar-i-o

It was black fly, black fly everywhere
A-crawlin' in your whiskers, a-crawlin' in your hair
A-swimmin' in the soup, and a'swimmin in the tea
Oh the devil take the black fly and let me be

And the black flies, the little black flies
Always the black fly, no matter where you go
I'll die with the black fly a-picking my bones
In north on-tar-i-o-i-o, in north on-tar-i-o

YouTube Link

By the way, black flies are large flies that bite and feed on the blood of mammals, not unlike horse flies. Yuck.

Find Busch Dominion:
BuschDominion.com | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Thanks given by:  Nicole, Zachary, Luke, CastleOSullivan
05/26/17 at 09:41pm in The Bug Thread (Latest Edit: 05/26/17 at 11:12pm by Luke.)
Lots and lots of bugs today Busch Gardens Williamsburg... Maybe they like the new mixed drinks.
Thanks given by:  Nicole, Unagi
05/26/17 at 09:51pm in The Bug Thread
This thread needs some Mighty Panther.

YouTube Link

Puts the Reggae in your Jeggae!
Thanks given by:  Nicole, Zimmy, Unagi, CastleOSullivan

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |