ParkFans Logo

Legendia: Lech Coaster

04/06/17 at 09:24am in Legendia: Lech Coaster
I think it's pretty well known across the coaster enthusiast community and even among the general public (though they may not know them by name) that Vekoma has had a less than stellar reputation and history over the past thirty plus years. Outside of their creations for The Walt Disney Company they're known for rough and painful rides.

Over the years Vekoma has seemed to be content as a stagnant Arrow Dynamics knock off while still making attempts to "innovate" old Arrow designs into concepts that the trackwork was just never designed to accomplish. In more recent years they've attempted to redeem themselves with new track and train designs with varying degrees of success and have even attempted to take on the likes of B&M and Intamin with disastrous consequences.

As much as people hate Vekoma I've always had a slightly morbid fascination with their evolution (I've probably ridden more Vekoma SLC's than anyone else in the PFN community) and am always interested when a park makes the unusual decision to give Vekoma a ride contract.

The 2017 season has seemed to be a bit of a slow year for new coaster projects with very little in the way of over the top headlining additions in the United States, but outside of the States there have been quite a few interesting developments this year. I was pretty surprised when I opened up one of my favorite theme park blogs this morning, NewPlusNotes.com, to find a the nearly complete Project 2017 at Legendia in Poland, an all new Vekoma coaster named "Lech."

We really have not seen much from Vekoma since Battlestar Galactica and it would appear that they have taken some time to rework their train design (again). I will say I am slightly disappointed that they haven't attempted to fix their four abreast seating after being forced to awkwardly convert Battlestar's to the more traditional two riders per row seating, but the trains are visually striking. The layout appears to be pretty simple but should in theory be a fun ride. I am a little more than intrigued to find out if they may have actually created something that everyone will find enjoyable and if I ever end up in Poland I'll be sure to give this thing a spin.

Waking up fresh every mornin'; Openin' up for you; Waitin' for your laughter; With so much new to do! Busch—Gardens! Busch—Gardens! Come to Busch Gardens and come to life! Come to Busch Gardens and come—to life!
Contact Me: Private Message | Email | Twitter | Coaster Count
Thanks given by:  Nicole, Zachary, MAZ
04/06/17 at 10:20am in Legendia: Lech Coaster
Interesting observations. Two comments, however.

1. I kinda doubt most people outside of the enthusiast community have ever heard of "Vekoma." Most people see steel versus wooden roller coasters. Or they identify the major thrill elements, like loops, drops, etc.

2. I find Disney's coasters to be fairly rough, as well.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  Shane, CastleOSullivan
04/06/17 at 01:33pm in Legendia: Lech Coaster
Oh yeah, I wasn't trying to imply that the general public knows the name Vekoma by any means, but I am sure that they know "that yellow one over there" is bangs their head, and "that yellow one over there" just happens to be a Vekoma.

It's been a long time since I rode a Disney coaster.

Waking up fresh every mornin'; Openin' up for you; Waitin' for your laughter; With so much new to do! Busch—Gardens! Busch—Gardens! Come to Busch Gardens and come to life! Come to Busch Gardens and come—to life!
04/06/17 at 05:39pm in Legendia: Lech Coaster
I rode, what I'm pretty sure was a Vekoma, last weekend at Carowinds. It was a flying type coaster called Nighthawk. It was quite rough and I remember thinking, 'this one is for the younger crowd'. I am not a fan.

Where? Behind the rabbit?
04/06/17 at 05:52pm in Legendia: Lech Coaster
Yes it is and yes it is.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  TrevorBondi, Shane
04/06/17 at 11:53pm in Legendia: Lech Coaster
Nighthawk was the prototype, there is one at Kings Island, and the final and "smoothest" one built that was supposed to fix Nighthawks shortcomings (and doesn't quite do so, but im not sure how much of that is Vekoma's fault) at SixFlags America.

04/07/17 at 02:13pm in Legendia: Lech Coaster
I will always hate them for stealing Aarow's designs. They are at least partially responsible for the first bankruptcy.

Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate! - William of Occam
I'm serious now, who here wants my job? - NASA Director James Webb
Thanks given by:  Shane
04/07/17 at 03:24pm in Legendia: Lech Coaster
I will not dispute that.

Thanks given by:  Zimmy
07/05/17 at 09:03am in Legendia: Lech Coaster (Latest Edit: 07/05/17 at 09:09am by Shane.)
This coaster just opened and it sounds pretty amazing! Check out this report from NewsPlusNotes.com!

YouTube Link

Thanks given by:  Zachary

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |