ParkFans Logo

Project 2018: Electric Eel - Premier SkyRocket II

12/26/16 at 04:59pm in Project 2018: Electric Eel - Premier SkyRocket II (Latest Edit: 01/04/17 at 11:23pm by Shane.)
Update: 01/03/2016

SAN DIEGO (Jan. 3, 2017) – SeaWorld® San Diego unveiled plans today for its 2018 attraction—the Electric Eel roller coaster—featuring multiple-launch elements, high-energy twists, and heart-pounding loops. It will expand the park’s new Ocean Explorer realm set to open later this summer as part of the park’s largest new attraction premiere in its history.

Following the unprecedented opening of three new major attractions in 2017—Ocean Explorer, the new Orca Encounter and the all-new summer nighttime extravaganza Electric Ocean—Electric Eel will cap a 24-month period of the most robust growth since the park’s opening more than five decades ago.
“Electric Eel will bring a whole new level of excitement to SeaWorld in 2018,” said SeaWorld San Diego’s Park President Marilyn Hannes. “This new, first-of-its-kind coaster at SeaWorld will give riders the rare opportunity to feel what it’s like to move like an eel as they twist and flip along nearly 900 feet of undulating track.”

Electric Eel will feature astounding loops, twists and airtime.  Multiple-launch experiences will propel riders forward and backward as they speed through the ride’s station house accelerating to more than 60 miles per hour in seconds. Riders then rocket skyward nearly 150 feet where they will brave an inverted “heartline” roll and a twisting loop for an exciting feeling of airtime as riders crest the top before breathlessly returning to the station.  This adrenaline-pumping coaster will offer riders the only upside-down view of Mission Bay.

SeaWorld continues to evolve the next generation of marine-life experiences, setting the standard for combining immersive and innovative ways to engage with ocean animals with flat-out family fun for children and adults.

“The future is bright at SeaWorld and we remain committed to long-term investment in the park,” said Hannes. “We always strive to provide new reasons to visit SeaWorld and give our guests experiences that matter with a blend of exciting rides and incredible animal and educational experiences. We want our guests from around the world to not only have a great time, but be inspired to care about the ocean and the animals that live there.”

Complementing the Electric Eel roller coaster is the anticipated Ocean Explorer experience opening in 2017—which will include a hypnotic live eel habitat featuring one of the world’s most extensive collections of moray eels. Through large viewing windows, visitors will plunge into the world of the eel as they swim and dart through the caves and crevasses of their naturalistic deep-ocean environment.

With Electric Eel, SeaWorld’s Deep Blue creative design team will fuse the visceral thrills of a contemporary coaster with a compelling interactive and educational eel experience. Using innovative state-of-the-art technologies, this interactive experience will allow guests to discover fascinating information about these mysterious animals, including their unique predation skills and diets, growth rates and sensory abilities.
Electric Eel will join Manta® and Journey to Atlantis® as the third coaster-type ride experience at SeaWorld San Diego. It will be constructed on an approximately two-acre site on the eastern side of the park between the currently under-construction Ocean Explorer attraction and Journey to Atlantis. The ride is expected to open in summer 2018.

About SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment:
SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment™ is a leading theme park and entertainment company providing experiences that matter and inspiring guests to protect animals and the wild wonders of our world. The company is one of the world’s foremost zoological organizations and a global leader in animal welfare, training, husbandry and veterinary care. The company collectively cares for what it believes is one of the largest zoological collections in the world and has helped lead advances in the care of animals. The company also rescues and rehabilitates marine and terrestrial animals that are ill, injured, orphaned or abandoned, with the goal of returning them to the wild. The SeaWorld® rescue team has helped more than 29,000 animals in need over the last 50 years.

The company owns or licenses a portfolio of recognized brands including SeaWorld, Busch Gardens® and Sea Rescue®. Over its more than 50-year history, the company has built a diversified portfolio of 12 destination and regional theme parks that are grouped in key markets across the United States, many of which showcase its one-of-a-kind zoological collection of over 800 species of animals. The company’s theme parks feature a diverse array of rides, shows and other attractions with broad demographic appeal which deliver memorable experiences and a strong value proposition for its guests.

SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment is a wholly owned subsidiary of SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc., a publicly traded company. Visit http://www.SeaWorldEntertainment.com for more information.

—SeaWorld—

Original Post:
Based on city planning documents, Lance from ScreamScape.com is claiming that SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment is planning to install a Premier SkyRocket II roller coaster (otherwise known as a Tempesto or Superman clone) at their SeaWorld Park in San Diego California. You can check it out here.

This installation would not surprise me since SeaWorld is trying to push outside of the animal related attraction market and is strapped for cash at the moment. San Diego is quite a far drive from San Francisco so the coaster should prove to be a unique style ride for guests of that park. It will be interesting to see if SeaWorld requires Premier to install "comfort collars" on the ride like the sister coaster at Busch Gardens Williamsburg or if the ride will have the restraint system that the manufacturer intended the ride to have.

It would appear that the Premier SkyRocket II is becoming the Vekoma Boomerang of the 21st Century.

Waking up fresh every mornin'; Openin' up for you; Waitin' for your laughter; With so much new to do! Busch—Gardens! Busch—Gardens! Come to Busch Gardens and come to life! Come to Busch Gardens and come—to life!
Contact Me: Private Message | Email | Twitter | Coaster Count
Thanks given by:  CastleOSullivan, Eric, CoasterJon18
Are they due for a new flat?

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  Thomas, MAZ, CastleOSullivan
12/26/16 at 05:09pm in Project 2018: Electric Eel - Premier SkyRocket II (Latest Edit: 12/26/16 at 05:10pm by Shane.)
I believe that they either received a flat ride package for 2016 or that a flat or two is being included in the new monorail/darkride addition for 2017. I am thinking its the later.

Waking up fresh every mornin'; Openin' up for you; Waitin' for your laughter; With so much new to do! Busch—Gardens! Busch—Gardens! Come to Busch Gardens and come to life! Come to Busch Gardens and come—to life!
Doesn't SeaWorld San Diego have an insane height restriction, specific to roller coasters (something like 30')? I thought the only reason they were able to build Journey To Atlantis was because it was a water coaster, but they initially just called it a water ride.

"Be careful what you wish for, be sure your wish is wise."
The documents filed with the local authority indicate a height of 150ft and that the ride must be painted the color of the sky to blend in, which sounds oddly familiar with another park in the chain.

Thanks given by:  Nicole, CastleOSullivan, Zimmy
Is it too much to hope that they are really just getting our Tempesto?

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  Shane, CastleOSullivan, Unagi, Eric, TDawgTony
(12/27/16 11:34am)Nicole Wrote:  Is it too much to hope that they are really just getting our Tempesto?

It is 2016, we don't have that kind of luck...

Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate! - William of Occam
I'm serious now, who here wants my job? - NASA Director James Webb
Thanks given by:  Nicole, Shane, CoasterJon18
(12/26/16 05:03pm)Nicole Wrote:  Are they due for a new flat?

They're due for another attraction period... Ocean Explorer will be a major plus, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to throw in a little bit of thrill.

SeaWorld Orlando & Busch Gardens Tampa
Theme Park lover~ Future Rollercoaster Designer
Most likely distracted or daydreaming about theme parks.. Welcome to my world.

Instagram | Twitter
(12/30/16 01:00am)CoasterJon18 Wrote:  ... it certainly wouldn't hurt to throw in a little bit of thrill...

Then they have chosen poorly

Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate! - William of Occam
I'm serious now, who here wants my job? - NASA Director James Webb
Thanks given by:  Nicole
It's official, "electric eel" is coming in 2018!
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-se...story.html

Rollercoaster?,oh, you must be talking about our festa landscaping project!
Thanks given by:  Connor
01/03/17 at 01:00pm in Project 2018: Electric Eel - Premier SkyRocket II (Latest Edit: 01/03/17 at 01:01pm by Connor.)
Hey, maybe it won't have those pesty comfort collars.

Oh, well at least it'll have a fun name. I'm gonna be honest upon my first visit to the park I noticed a couple of thing:

1. This park is extremely tiny for a SEAS park.
2. It's missing a truly "thril" coaster as Manta is definitely catered towards the family market.

I've ridden Tempesto a couple of times now and it's definitely grown on me. It's not the best coaster but for this park I think it's going to fit in nicely. Also, I'm excited to see what the surrounding area will look like as the lighting sounds intriguing.

Pretty smart of SEAS to announce there 2018 attraction now because as soon as RMC Mean Streak is announced all eyes will be on The Point.

(Sorry about the weird image formatting, couldn't upload it.)

Where is Hummel Boy?
Thanks given by:  Eric, CastleOSullivan
Electric Eels are freshwater...
Thanks given by:  MAZ
I don't believe the name is out of place after all most rivers and waterways connect to the ocean and this is a Seaworld park.

"Proud son of Old Virginia"
*empty glare*
Thanks given by:  Zachary
(01/03/17 02:40pm)Pretzel Kaiser Wrote:  Electric Eels are freshwater...

So are the Asian small-clawed otters that each SeaWorld park has.
Thanks given by:  Shane, Zimmy, Zachary

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |