ParkFans Logo

Carowinds visitor shoves ride operator to retrieve phone from tracks

A guest at Carowinds shoved a ride operator out of the way to go onto the tracks and retrieve a cellphone that she had dropped, according to the York County Sheriff’s Office.

The incident happened about 9:20 p.m. Friday on the Boo Blasters on Boo Hill ride, according to a sheriff’s report. The ride operator said a guest approached him and said she had dropped her phone on the ride.

The employee told the guest she would have to wait until the park closed, but that he would notify his supervisor to see what else they could do, deputies said. He said the guest then pushed him out of the way and went onto the tracks of the ride.

The employee pushed the ride’s emergency stop button and followed the woman as she got her phone, the report states. Park security took over from there.

The woman said she dropped her phone on the ride and wanted to get it back, deputies said. When told she would have to wait until the park closed, she said she waited for a while and then “went ahead and got her phone.” She denied having any contact with the ride operator.

The employee declined to press charges, and the woman was banned from Carowinds for five years.

Teddy Kulmala: 803-329-4082, @teddy_kulmala

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/lo...rylink=cpy
Thanks given by:  Eric, Joe, Nicole, CastleOSullivan, SWStevo, horsesboy, Zachary
Seems like a win for her. She got her phone and got to go home...

Hello, my name is Chris, today is my birthday.

2010 Coaster Count:
Alpengeist: 34 | Apollo's Chariot: 66 | Griffon: 21 | Loch Ness Monster: 26 | Total: 147
Thanks given by:  SWStevo
Sigh.

Google+ | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
To think the day would happen were someone would be stupid enough to risk their life and prison for a phone, that woman is a complete moron. Though you do have to congratulate the ride operator for not just saving her life but being man enough not to press charges, he should get a bonus from the park for that.

"Proud son of Old Virginia"
05/04/16 at 07:36am in Carowinds visitor shoves ride operator to retrieve phone from tracks (Latest Edit: 05/04/16 at 07:45am by Eric.)
Seems like a lot of people nowadays are RISKING THEIR LIFE or doing other crazy things just to retrieve a phone or wallet that could have been gotten after the park closed or sometime later.

Rollercoaster?,oh, you must be talking about our festa landscaping project!
If this were a coaster, I would think she was stupid. Seeing this was a dark ride, and the risk was pretty much zero spare tripping and falling on concrete, I think the whole thing is kind of comical.

*Fur Dozy does not support the retrieval of items without park consent.

Hello, my name is Chris, today is my birthday.

2010 Coaster Count:
Alpengeist: 34 | Apollo's Chariot: 66 | Griffon: 21 | Loch Ness Monster: 26 | Total: 147
I would guess, depending on where the phone was lying, that she could possibly have been in the path of a ride car, so there could still be some risk. To my mind the ride operator handled the situation well, at least per this report. I do think a park ban in entirely appropriate. The employee pressing assault charges would seem excessive given that no one was hurt and no huge altercation occurred. Not that I doubt that she shoved past him, though.

Of course everyone else in line or on the ride is hugely inconvenienced while the ride is force stopped, the situation is dealt with, and the ride is reset -- because she just had to have her phone RIGHT THEN even though she is the one who dropped it. Narcissistic traits on display!
Thanks given by:  Joe, SWStevo, Zachary
(05/04/16 07:40am)Fur Dozy Wrote:  If this were a coaster, I would think she was stupid. Seeing this was a dark ride, and the risk was pretty much zero spare tripping and falling on concrete, I think the whole thing is kind of comical.

*Fur Dozy does not support the retrieval of items without park consent.

Darkastle has a live rail right in the middle of the track. I recall this dark ride having something similar so if the happened to step on that, she'd be electrocuted.

The comical part is her losing her cell phone on a dark ride. Had no idea that was even possible/

Project Geauga Lake - Photos! - BGW Crowd Calendar - Don't look back, as you brave the Black Forest
Thanks given by:  CastleOSullivan, SWStevo, TrevorBondi, Joe, Zachary
05/04/16 at 10:23pm in Carowinds visitor shoves ride operator to retrieve phone from tracks (Latest Edit: 05/04/16 at 10:23pm by Thomas.)
Well, Boo Blasters is known for its intensity and sudden movements.

Google+ | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Thanks given by:  CastleOSullivan, SWStevo, Eric, Zachary
(05/04/16 07:00am)The Hessian Wrote:  Though you do have to congratulate the ride operator for not just saving her life but being man enough not to press charges, he should get a bonus from the park for that.

Why exactly is this a morally superior thing to do?

Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate! - William of Occam
I'm serious now, who here wants my job? - NASA Director James Webb
(05/05/16 12:50am)Zimmy Wrote:  
(05/04/16 07:00am)The Hessian Wrote:  Though you do have to congratulate the ride operator for not just saving her life but being man enough not to press charges, he should get a bonus from the park for that.

Because it shows that he can be calm in a stressful situation and can deal with all the bullshit that exits.

"Proud son of Old Virginia"
I really don't think that you can lose your phone on the ride unless you have your phone out, so I'm guessing that this person had their phone out when they should have been enjoying the ride, unless they were filming, which I believe is not allowed but i could be wrong.

Rollercoaster?,oh, you must be talking about our festa landscaping project!
Thanks given by:  CastleOSullivan
(05/05/16 02:39am)The Hessian Wrote:  
(05/05/16 12:50am)Zimmy Wrote:  

Because it shows that he can be calm in a stressful situation and can deal with all the bullshit that exits.

So how exactly does not pressing charges after an incident show that you are calm during an incident? All that tells me is that you can not be bothered or do not think it is worth the hassle. I fail to see it as a moral stance.

Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate! - William of Occam
I'm serious now, who here wants my job? - NASA Director James Webb
Thanks given by:  Nicole
(05/05/16 04:18pm)Eric Wrote:  I really don't think that you can lose your phone on the ride unless you have your phone out, so I'm guessing that this person had their phone out when they should have been enjoying the ride, unless they were filming, which I believe is not allowed but i could be wrong.

That was my thought.

I saw a few people at Busch Gardens Williamsburg years ago with Go Pro cameras, but of course, those people had to go through management to bring them in and be allowed to use them. In addition, they are strapped on pretty good, so little chance of losing it.
Phones slip out of pockets.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  Zimmy

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |