ParkFans Logo

Vekoma Flying Dutchmen

03/26/16 at 08:15am in Vekoma Flying Dutchmen (Latest Edit: 06/18/17 at 11:16am by Nicole.)
As of my trip to SFA yesterday, I have now tried all three Vekoma Flying Dutchmen in the US. Somewhere during the ride I came to the conclusion that it would be a pretty cool coaster, if they never flipped me over onto my stomach. For full disclosure, I am not a huge fan of fliers to begin with; I don't particularly love Manta either.

Anyway, I'm sure that conclusion sounds a bit insane: the entire point of a flier is to, well, fly. As I have mentioned before, I have a fear of ledges and falling, so well constructed seats and harnesses matter to me. My legs always feel as if they are going to slip out of the Vekoma restraints, so I spend most of the ride actively ensuring my ankles remain secured. As a result I can never enjoy the experience.

But that isn't why I would prefer to remain on my back. What I noticed yesterday was that Batwing seemed to spend more time facing up than Nighthawk, and I found the forces in that position more interesting. That was especially true in the verticle loop.

I'd assume that my fear of falling to my death from the flying position distracted me, so that I only noticed the forces when I was facing the sky, but other people with me came to similar conclusions. So, now I am left wondering, if Vekoma missed an opportunity. They only start riders on their backs, because that was the engineering solution they found for ultimately getting them in the flying position. But maybe they should have abandoned the initial goal entirely and created a coaster, which carries riders on their backs and backwards throughout the entire course?

Anyway, just one personal thoughts. Regardless, I did prefer a Batwing to the two others, which also surprised me.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  Zachary, Zimmy, Unagi
03/26/16 at 08:44pm in Vekoma Flying Dutchmen
Batwing is by far the best of the three Vekoma flyers. Well I've only ridden two of the three, but I believe it's the newest of the three.

Waking up fresh every mornin'; Openin' up for you; Waitin' for your laughter; With so much new to do! Busch—Gardens! Busch—Gardens! Come to Busch Gardens and come to life! Come to Busch Gardens and come—to life!
Contact Me: Private Message | Email | Twitter | Coaster Count
Thanks given by:  Nicole
03/27/16 at 12:06am in Vekoma Flying Dutchmen
Flyers are just bad inverts.

Google+ | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Thanks given by:  Pretzel Kaiser
03/27/16 at 05:47pm in Vekoma Flying Dutchmen
Of the two Vekoma flyers I've ridden, Batwing is definitely the better of the two. Even if the park plopped it on the ugliest piece of land ever. The ride is just crazy intense. Nighthawk has the much better setting but its less intense.

Aside from the theming issues on Batwing the only real issue I had were the lead vests. Nighthawk feels much more open with their softer vests but Batwing likes to crush your chest at the end of the ride when you're lying on your back.

Also getting out of these things is a huge pain in the ass lol.

Project Geauga Lake - Photos! - BGW Crowd Calendar - Don't look back, as you brave the Black Forest
Thanks given by:  Zachary
06/10/17 at 12:40pm in Vekoma Flying Dutchmen
The only one I've ridden is Nighthawk. I prefer Manta (as I would guess most people do?), BUT it's my favorite of the Carowinds coasters after Fury 325. I was fascinated with it and liked the fly-to-lie/lie-to-fly bits. My favorite part was that vertical loop; that simple element feels very unique in the different position!

My friend that rode it with me did not care for the restraints (thought it felt like you were going to fall out). I disagree with that because logically that won't happen, but they do feel a little loose and you do 'flop around' a bit, lol. I think of it as just part of the ride experience, to be honest.

Coaster Count: 39
Top 5: Manta (SWO), Intimidator 305/Fury 325 (tie 'til I can decide), Mako, Apollo's Chariot
06/10/17 at 12:51pm in Vekoma Flying Dutchmen
The only one I've ridden(or will ever ride), is nighthawk. I simply do not care for these coasters. The restraints were very stinky too. They had a sweaty, musty, piss smell.

Where? Behind the rabbit?
06/10/17 at 02:04pm in Vekoma Flying Dutchmen
I always feel as if my legs are slipping out of their restraints, as well.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
06/11/17 at 01:12am in Vekoma Flying Dutchmen
You all lost me at, "Vekoma."

Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate! - William of Occam
I'm serious now, who here wants my job? - NASA Director James Webb
06/11/17 at 07:48am in Vekoma Flying Dutchmen
Nope, I do not like these coasters. Not at all.
06/11/17 at 12:27pm in Vekoma Flying Dutchmen
I'm here to swoop in with the unpopular opinion.

Having ridden all three of them, I love Vekoma Flying Dutchmen. I find them relatively smooth and mind-bogglingly intense. The forces presented in the vertical loops alone are some of the best on any coaster I've ever ridden. The restraints seem sorta sketchy, sure, but their safety record is stellar.

Find Me: Twitter | Facebook | Google+
Contact Me: Private Message | Email

Our biggest foe is our inclination towards complacency and willingness to settle for mediocrity.
Thanks given by:  ElsaManta, Shane, netdvn, Joe
06/12/17 at 08:08am in Vekoma Flying Dutchmen
Awesome, I'm not the only one who enjoyed Nighthawk, then! That vertical loop was the part that stood out to me, too. I wish I could have a chance to ride the other two...

Top 5: Manta (SWO), Intimidator 305/Fury 325 (tie 'til I can decide), Mako, Apollo's Chariot
06/12/17 at 08:17am in Vekoma Flying Dutchmen
I've only ridden two out of the three, Nighthawk and Batwing and much prefer Batwing. I feel as if Vekoma had created a better loading/unload dispatch system then these would have taken off. The layouts as Zachary said are quite intense.

Waking up fresh every mornin'; Openin' up for you; Waitin' for your laughter; With so much new to do! Busch—Gardens! Busch—Gardens! Come to Busch Gardens and come to life! Come to Busch Gardens and come—to life!
Thanks given by:  Zachary
06/12/17 at 08:25am in Vekoma Flying Dutchmen
Nighthawk is my only one-I'm hoping to visit SFAm this year, but I kinda doubt I'll get to...
The loading/unloading system is slow...I remember the day I rode Nighthawk the line wasn't that long but it took awhile (and it went down temporarily...). Too bad we probably won't get any more...do you think it's possible Vekoma would somehow redesign their dispatch system for the Flying Dutchmen so that the slow/awkward loading and unloading wouldn't be an issue? (although I suppose B&M's system on the likes of Tatsu/Manta/etc pretty much fixes that exact problem, so. I don't know.) I kind of liked the odd sensation of the going up the lift hill on your back thing.

06/12/17 at 09:15am in Vekoma Flying Dutchmen
They still offer the model for sale on their website, but I honestly doubt that a park is going to purchase one of them. B&M isn't really selling any of their fliers right now either.

Thanks given by:  Zachary, ElsaManta
06/12/17 at 07:47pm in Vekoma Flying Dutchmen
It was my understanding that the Vekoma Stingray was meant to be the successor. I'd love to see a more fleshed out layout attempted with that new track and train design. B&M could use some real competition in the space.

Find Me: Twitter | Facebook | Google+
Contact Me: Private Message | Email

Our biggest foe is our inclination towards complacency and willingness to settle for mediocrity.
Thanks given by:  ElsaManta, Connor

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |