ParkFans Logo

Project 2016: Lightning Rod (Launched RMC Woodie)

06/07/15 at 01:35pm in Project 2016: Lightning Rod (Launched RMC Woodie) (Latest Edit: 08/07/15 at 10:40am by Zachary.)
Looks like Dollywood will get a prototype RMC for next year.

Rumors abound have it as being a launched woodie.

Here's a site following the construction - http://www.pigeonforgetnguide.com/things...r-in-2016/

The park will make an official announcement later this summer.
Thanks given by:  Nicole, Zachary, Zimmy, MAZ, UncleDuncan
* Zimmy tackle hugs Unagi!

Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate! - William of Occam
I'm serious now, who here wants my job? - NASA Director James Webb
06/08/15 at 12:25am in Project 2016: Lightning Rod (Launched RMC Woodie) (Latest Edit: 06/08/15 at 12:35am by Shane.)
I've been following this and had heard it would be a launched RMC woodie. Glad to finally see some real evidence! This is going to be an amazing coaster.

I also want to say how excited I am that they are putting a roller coaster in the front of the park. All of Dollywood's coasters are pretty much lined up one after the other in what I call "Coaster Alley" in the back of the park, one after the other. So, it's great to see one go in somewhere else and in a well theme'd area.

Waking up fresh every mornin'; Openin' up for you; Waitin' for your laughter; With so much new to do! Busch—Gardens! Busch—Gardens! Come to Busch Gardens and come to life! Come to Busch Gardens and come—to life!
Contact Me: Private Message | Email | Twitter | Coaster Count
06/18/15 at 02:34am in Project 2016: Lightning Rod (Launched RMC Woodie) (Latest Edit: 06/18/15 at 12:34pm by Shane.)
ScreamScape.com Wrote:Internet Fun - (6/18/15) Sounds like we can narrow down all the Rocky Mountain Construction coaster projects for 2016 to three states, Tennessee, Kentucky and California. RMC has posted that they are seeking to hire surveyors to work on coaster projects in those three states, starting immediately and specifically in Pigeon Forge, TN. (ahem… Dollywood). If the rest of the rumors are true, then we would see projects unfold in Kentucky Kingdom (transforming Twisted Twins) and at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in California for a transformation of Roar. There is also a final California rumor that would place RMC at Knott’s Berry Farm to place Topper Track on GhostRider, but as that job could possibly just be track replacement only, I thinking they may not need the services of a surveyor for that unless there was structural work to be done.
Here is the job listing.
Thanks given by:  Zachary, John
06/18/15 at 12:35pm in Project 2016: Lightning Rod (Launched RMC Woodie) (Latest Edit: 06/18/15 at 12:35pm by Shane.)
I really can't wait to watch this project unfold. This and Kentucky Kingdom's project are going to be the highlight of the 2016 Construction projects for me. Oh and Vortex West's floorless conversion but to a much smaller degree.

Waking up fresh every mornin'; Openin' up for you; Waitin' for your laughter; With so much new to do! Busch—Gardens! Busch—Gardens! Come to Busch Gardens and come to life! Come to Busch Gardens and come—to life!
Thanks given by:  Zachary
The official announcement for this coaster will be on August 7, 2015.
ScreamScape has some construction photos, looks like just basic site work and earth moving.

08/07/15 at 01:40am in Project 2016: Lightning Rod (Launched RMC Woodie) (Latest Edit: 08/07/15 at 01:41am by Unagi.)
RMC Launch Woodie confirmed by The Mountain Press.

http://www.themountainpress.com/x1107846...ced-Friday

Quote:Dollywood's latest ride to be announced Friday
Aug. 06, 2015 @ 06:35 PM
JAKE OLD

PIGEON FORGE —
Dolly Parton and Dollywood officials will announce the theme park's newest ride Friday during a special event.

Slated for the Jukebox Junction area, the ride will be a wooden roller coaster themed around 1950s and 1960s hot rod cars. It is set to open in March 2016.

It marks the largest investment into a single attraction in the history of the park, likely costing more than $21 million, Dollywood's Public Relations Director Pete Owens said.

The ride will use urethane wheels on a steel railing. It will be the first wooden coaster in the world to use launch technology, Owens said.

Previously, the power demand to launch a wooden coaster was too great for launch technolgy to be feasible, but the energy costs associated with this ride are much lower.

Brian Dudash, vice president over maintenance and construction at Dollywood, emphasized that the roller coaster will be a smooth ride.

"When you think of a wood coaster, you might think of it being a rough ride, but it's the latest version of a wood coaster," Dudash said. "It's not a traditional wood coaster."

Owens said he believes the new attraction will get attention worldwide.

"My belief is, this ride is going to be among the one or two most anticipated rides in our industry," he said. "I think people will look at this ride and be very interested to see how it turns out, what the ride experience is, and we believe it will be a very unique, very thrilling experience."

The company constructing the project, Rocky Mountain Construction, is a new partner with Dollywood. One of the engineers working on the project designed the Tennessee Tornado ride at Dollywood while working at another company.

This project has been in the works for more than a year. Construction takes about nine months, and there was a lengthy process of determining the attraction's specifics.

Choosing a new attraction and its theme is a complicated process, both Dudash and Owens said.

"It's more complex than the political process," Dudash joked.

"We know the traffic flow of our guests, and we have a good idea of what is popular in the park," Owens said. "So that allows us an opportunity to go after things our guests are interested in, and try to find innovative products and unique experiences."

Officials at the company also had input, including Parton.

The name of the ride has not been revealed. It is expected to be announced Friday.

The ride is the latest component of the $300 park investment announced by Parton in 2013. Previous parts of the investment were the FireChaser Express roller coaster, which opened in 2014, and the DreamMore Resort, which opened last month.

[email protected]
Thanks given by:  MAZ, Connor, Zachary, Nicole, Mushroom
Sweetness! The most interesting part of that is the bit about the Tennessee Tornado engineer working on this. Wouldn't that make him an Arrow engineer? Old school sweetness!

Where? Behind the rabbit?
Thanks given by:  Nicole
08/07/15 at 03:32am in Project 2016: Lightning Rod (Launched RMC Woodie) (Latest Edit: 08/07/15 at 08:12am by Unagi.)
(08/07/15 01:58am)MAZ Wrote:  Sweetness! The most interesting part of that is the bit about the Tennessee Tornado engineer working on this. Wouldn't that make him an Arrow engineer? Old school sweetness!

They're talking about Alan Schilke, so yes, that's the Arrow connection! Winking
Thanks given by:  Nicole, MAZ
Quote:The ride is the latest component of the $300 park investment announced by Parton in 2013.

$300 huh. I could have made that investment.

But seriously, I may have to check out Dollywood next year. I live near Nashville and have never been. Mainly because I don't have anyone that will go with me and I'm not one to go by myself.

H.R. Pufnstuff, Who's your friend when things get rough?
Thanks given by:  Mushroom
(08/07/15 10:05am)Hawth Wrote:  
Quote:The ride is the latest component of the $300 park investment announced by Parton in 2013.

$300 huh. I could have made that investment.

But seriously, I may have to check out Dollywood next year. I live near Nashville and have never been. Mainly because I don't have anyone that will go with me and I'm not one to go by myself.

LOL Serious typo! It should've said $30 million.
I think this will finally tip me into making a trip to Dollywood. All of us should plan a road trip!

A ParkFans Advisor for the people!
Thanks given by:  Zachary
This coaster is gonna have a quadruple down!!!!!!!

YouTube Link
Thanks given by:  John, Zachary, Hawth, Mushroom, Connor, Youhow2
What a beautiful thing! I can't wait to ride it!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |