ParkFans Logo

Thunder Road Closing July 26

05/23/15 at 08:34pm in Thunder Road Closing July 26 (Latest Edit: 07/31/15 at 10:22am by Zachary.)
This has been rumored for some time. However, all the money and time put into re-traking the last five years made it undoubtedly only a rumor.

Well it wasn't.

Quote:Thunder Road, one of the classic Carowind’s roller coasters, is gearing up for its final ride.

After 39 years and nearly 40 million scream-filled rides, the wooden racer will carry its last guests July 26. The ride is being retired to make room for future growth, park officials said. The expansion is part of a more than $50 million multi-year investment plan that included the new Fury 325, the world’s tallest and fastest giga coaster, which opened this season.

The classic ride was named after the 1958 movie, “Thunder Road,” which featured Robert Mitchum.

The roller coaster has twin, parallel racing trains that reach speeds of up to 45 mph. The coaster races in and out of North and South Carolina.

Guests have until July 26 at 10 p.m. to take part in the Thunder Road celebration.

This thing is rough as all get out these days, but this makes me terrible sad.

Source

Wisdom from a mug ~ In the time before airlines & electricity, the countries of medieval Europe developed distinctive styles architecture suited to their regions. Traditions & culture grew separately as well. The diverse heritage of many Americans is celebrated here in Busch Gardens at Williamsburg.
Thanks given by:  Joe, Connor, Zachary
05/23/15 at 09:05pm in Thunder Road Closing July 26
Makes me thankful for KD's revived interest in Rebel Yell.

...I hope...

Find Busch Dominion:
BuschDominion.com | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Thanks given by:  SWStevo
05/23/15 at 11:25pm in Thunder Road Closing July 26
My ride on it during April was bouncy and a little rough at the end, but I was very fun. Sad to see it go.

Lightning Rod - Maverick - Fury 325 - Skyrush- Intimidator 305 - Millennium Force - Stormrunner - Apollo's Chariot - Mako - Wild Eagle
05/24/15 at 12:03am in Thunder Road Closing July 26
It's always sad to lose something iconic.

Google+ | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Thanks given by:  Nicole, Zimmy, Shane, Zachary
05/24/15 at 09:30am in Thunder Road Closing July 26
It is a fantastic coaster. We will have to ride it in June.

I have to say I find the decision to close a recently refurbished ride a bit puzzling.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  Zimmy, Shane, Zachary
05/24/15 at 10:55pm in Thunder Road Closing July 26
I guess this somewhat validates the water park expansion in the wind-works for Carowinds coming.
05/25/15 at 10:29am in Thunder Road Closing July 26 (Latest Edit: 05/25/15 at 10:30am by Shane.)
I am sad to see it go. I'm always disappointed to see a classic retired.

That being said after I saw this diagram NewsPlusNotes put together it makes strategic sense for the park to remove it: http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2015/0...ad-at.html

It really is taking up prime real estate for a Soak City conversation to come to Carowinds. When I thought about it at first I wondered why they couldn't just build behind it like KD did with Rebel Yell, but there really isn't much space on the other side; all the space is where the coaster is actually sitting.

I will still be sad to see it go, I enjoyed riding it. It'll be interesting to see what Caro has in store.

Waking up fresh every mornin'; Openin' up for you; Waitin' for your laughter; With so much new to do! Busch—Gardens! Busch—Gardens! Come to Busch Gardens and come to life! Come to Busch Gardens and come—to life!
Contact Me: Private Message | Email | Twitter | Coaster Count
05/25/15 at 10:34am in Thunder Road Closing July 26
I personally can't see the logic in taking out a recently refurbished, classic woodie to make way for a water slide. And I like good water parks.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  Matthew
05/25/15 at 11:36am in Thunder Road Closing July 26
My last ride on Thunder Road was a surprisingly great one. They did a good job with the refurbs, and though this was expected, I wasn't willing to believe that Carowinds would knock this down to expand their water park. I still don't love the idea.

Google+ | FacebookTwitter
Thanks given by:  Nicole
05/25/15 at 08:39pm in Thunder Road Closing July 26 (Latest Edit: 05/25/15 at 08:40pm by John.)
Looks like a group of Thunder Road loyals aren't too happy about the announcement. They've even gotten some local news exposer.

Save Thunder Road Facebook Page

#SaveThunderRoad iPetetion
Thanks given by:  SWStevo
05/26/15 at 12:56pm in Thunder Road Closing July 26
I signed it!

Waking up fresh every mornin'; Openin' up for you; Waitin' for your laughter; With so much new to do! Busch—Gardens! Busch—Gardens! Come to Busch Gardens and come to life! Come to Busch Gardens and come—to life!
Contact Me: Private Message | Email | Twitter | Coaster Count
Thanks given by:  John
05/26/15 at 04:26pm in Thunder Road Closing July 26
As much as it pains me to see a classic coaster removed, especially the smoothest of the Racer clones I've ridden, I understand the logic behind it's removal to an extent.

If they're willing to remove a coaster, albeit a classic and popular one, they have big plans. This isn't a decision anyone in the park will take lightly, no doubt. Plus, who says this is all they're removing. The parking lot next to the ride barely sees use now with the parking lot recently upgraded and changed with the addition of Fury. What if the park branches out even further than just where Thunder Road is? Even if it's just the ride's footprint being removed, that's an awful lot of land to be used. The turnaround alone is large enough for a wave pool if they wanted another. Then flats or other slide complexes could easily also fit in that footprint.

The only conclusion I hope doesn't happen is an RMC. I will give the park much grief if an RMC finally hits a FUN park.
05/26/15 at 09:49pm in Thunder Road Closing July 26
Why in the freaking world would you bemoan an RMC...?

Lightning Rod - Maverick - Fury 325 - Skyrush- Intimidator 305 - Millennium Force - Stormrunner - Apollo's Chariot - Mako - Wild Eagle
Thanks given by:  Mike541x
05/26/15 at 10:08pm in Thunder Road Closing July 26
Because a wood coaster should stay a wood coaster. A new RMC Iron Horse built from the ground up as a hybrid, ok. But don't destroy history and classic rides for these reasons.
Thanks given by:  Nicole
05/26/15 at 11:22pm in Thunder Road Closing July 26
But why not if you have the same experience elsewhere? At least it is differentiating some of the racer clones. I honestly don't care about the nostalgia "wood should be wood" crap if its in favor of creating a MUCH better steel hybrid.

Thanks given by:  Mike541x, Zachary, John

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |