ParkFans Logo

Trip Report 5/17/15

05/18/15 at 02:07pm in Trip Report 5/17/15
So I visited SFA for the first time since 2000 yesterday and had a pretty good time despite the awful heat/humidity.

Coaster Ratings
Superman Ride of Steel (5/5) - Weird pacing but incredible airtime. The setting is kinda ugly but the view from the top of the lift was amazing. Shame the ride broke down on us early in the day or I would've gotten a second ride.

Batwing (5/5) - Better than Manta? I'd say so. Ride is crazy forceful. Station setup is weird but the audio is pretty cool.

Wild One (5/5) - I had trouble deciding whether or not this or Lightning Racer was better but yesterday afternoon's ride confirmed it for me. Fun ride. There's a weird jolt in the middle that I didn't expect so I got slammed into the side of the train pretty hard both rides. The ride seems to pick up speed toward the end of the ride and doesn't let up until you hit the brakes at the end. By then you're going so fast the wheels are still spinning like crazy even as you're going into the station.

Joker's Jinx (5/5) - I prefer FOF over Joker's Jinx but its still a pretty good ride. A bit rougher and the missing midcourse keeps the pacing up but I prefer FOF's setting and its smoothness over JJ.

Roar (3.5/5) - If this thing got retracked and the new flyer trains, this would probably rank much higher. It has potential but the end roughness sorta kills ride for me. Love the pacing and the layout in general. Basically what Wildcat needs to be.

Mind Eraser (2/5) - Started off ok and ended up with headbanging. I expected much worse so it exceeded my expectations. Even then, I think the park could do much better.

So Batwing, Superman, and Wild One all made it into my top 10.

Didn't really hit any flats. Friend rode Voodoo Drop but I decided to skip it for a second ride on Wild One. I think it was worth it lol. Maybe next time I'll try it out. Most of the flats looked pretty generic though so I don't feel like I was missing much by skipping them. Fireball was still under construction when I rode. Skipped Cajun and Apocalypse because I ran out of time for those.

Park had this weird smell I couldn't get over. Turned out it smelled like Chinese food. Dunno where it came from or why but it was odd.

The theming definitely reminds me of a more rundown Hersheypark IMO. Some sections of the park like Main Street, Coyote Creek, and Mardi Gras had decent theming for a SF park. Others like Movie Town and Gotham look like they could've been improved a bit.

The park has a serious layout problem. Its hard getting to Gotham from anywhere because the location is so odd. Not only that but if you wanna get to Superman or Batwing, you've gotta do a long walk to the back since both are located in weird spots right next to each other. That doesn't take into account all the dead end areas like Mardi Gras. The park itself is sorta tucked away so its hard to find. They need more signs on the highway like BGW or KD.

Park needs more shade. Either plant more trees or add more awnings. Half the park is in direct sunlight. Cajun doesn't even have a station. The employees are standing in direct sunlight for half the rides. I think that needs to change.

Ops were ok. Employees were friendly but crazy slow. Two train wait for Wild One ended up feeling like 10 minutes even with two trains running on the track. Same with a few of the other rides. Batwing surprisingly didn't have a bad wait but the crew is pretty slow compared to most other parks. One train ops on everything didn't really help.

Overall I had a decent time at the park. Not making much of an effort to visit again anytime soon despite the 3 top 10 worthy rides the park has.

Project Geauga Lake - Photos! - BGW Crowd Calendar - Don't look back, as you brave the Black Forest
Thanks given by:  TrevorBondi, Zachary, Mushroom, Luke, GeoUSA
05/18/15 at 04:38pm in Trip Report 5/17/15
Great review! I agree with everything you said 100%. Superman and Batwing are both fantastic coasters, and excluding Mind Eraser the park has a decent coaster lineup.

And agreed, some of the theming was very nice, albeit rundown. Coyote Creek in particular demonstrated that the park once cared about theming. They had a two-story saloon-style restaurant in the back of the area with a huge stage, so it saddened me to find that the stage currently sits dark.

Gotham City looked like it was falling apart, and Movie Town looked like an abandoned amusement park with some kiddie flats thrown in. I have a picture somewhere, of what appeared to be a giant white wall, but upon closer inspection it turned out to be a mural of Looney Tunes characters that had faded so badly is looked blank until you were just a few feet away.

Glad the employees were friendly to you. I had a less positive experience last summer. At the antique cars, I waited a full two minutes (I timed it Tongue) to board the cars while two employees stood on the other side laughing.

Did you see the stunt show? That was probably my favorite non-coaster aspect of SFA.

Find Busch Dominion:
BuschDominion.com | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Thanks given by:  netdvn
05/18/15 at 05:57pm in Trip Report 5/17/15
I missed the stunt show since we were focused on rides. My sister saw it though. She said it was really cheesy. The indoor FX show is supposedly good but they didn't have any showtime's during the day.

Employees seemed OK. I got high fives, smiles, and they seemed friendly despite the hot weather. I guess this early in the season they're not too bad. They even dealt with out ticket situation nicely too. I just couldn't stand that they were so slow lol. What should've been a 10 min wait for Superman ended up stretching longer even with a supervisor checking lapbars. The one train ops didn't help much. Luckily we visited on a slow day or I would've been mad. My sister encountered some line cutters but we were fortunate enough to avoid that.

Project Geauga Lake - Photos! - BGW Crowd Calendar - Don't look back, as you brave the Black Forest
Thanks given by:  Mushroom
05/18/15 at 07:53pm in Trip Report 5/17/15 (Latest Edit: 05/18/15 at 07:57pm by Thomas.)
Nothing at SFA is top ten material; you've finally lost your marbles.

Superman looks like it was designed in Roller Coaster Tycoon by someone with a laggy computer who accidentally added in too many straight pieces. Everything else is forgettable at best.

Google+ | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Thanks given by:  MAZ, Zachary, Connor, John
05/18/15 at 10:26pm in Trip Report 5/17/15
Superman was supposed to go over water. At least that's why there's so many flat sections. SFA's goes over the ugly swamp so the flat sections are pointless.

YouTube Link

Plus the airtime hills and the view of the hills from the top totally make up for the weird pacing.

Thanks given by:  TrevorBondi
05/18/15 at 10:35pm in Trip Report 5/17/15
that looks exceptionally boring

Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate! - William of Occam
I'm serious now, who here wants my job? - NASA Director James Webb
Thanks given by:  UnicornZiva
05/18/15 at 11:22pm in Trip Report 5/17/15
It is boring... and then it kills its riders.

Google+ | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
05/18/15 at 11:57pm in Trip Report 5/17/15
Because going over water is going to drastically improve the ride experience....
Thanks given by:  Zachary, Zimmy
05/19/15 at 12:18am in Trip Report 5/17/15
Why would it matter to any if you that Superman is in his top 10? He had an awesome time and obviously enjoyed a lot there, including Superman.

On the comment about it killing it's riders: wasn't that at Darken Lake's mirrored coaster? I could be mistaken.

A lot of coasters look exceptionally boring in POV's. I'd venture so far as to say Apollo looks pretty boring on video as well. It is definitely not boring, but you wouldn't know that judging by a POV.

Lightning Rod - Maverick - Fury 325 - Skyrush- Intimidator 305 - Millennium Force - Stormrunner - Apollo's Chariot - Mako - Wild Eagle
Thanks given by:  Connor, netdvn, Mike541x, Peter R., horsesboy
05/19/15 at 02:09am in Trip Report 5/17/15
Glad you had a good time!
Thanks given by:  Connor, netdvn, Mike541x, Peter R., Shane, John
05/19/15 at 09:33am in Trip Report 5/17/15
Nice to hear a good review from the park for once. It's obviously not the best park in the world but at least you had a good time and made the best out of it.

(05/19/15 12:18am)TrevorBondi Wrote:  Why would it matter to any if you that Superman is in his top 10? He had an awesome time and obviously enjoyed a lot there, including Superman.

On the comment about it killing it's riders: wasn't that at Darken Lake's mirrored coaster? I could be mistaken.

A lot of coasters look exceptionally boring in POV's. I'd venture so far as to say Apollo looks pretty boring on video as well. It is definitely not boring, but you wouldn't know that judging by a POV.

This! I'll take Wild One over any of the woodies at KD, but that's just me...
Thanks given by:  UnicornZiva, netdvn, TrevorBondi
05/19/15 at 12:05pm in Trip Report 5/17/15
Superman has weird pacing. The ride starts off pretty strong, middle is pointless, and the ending is fantastic. Easily some of the best airtime I've felt on a coaster outside Skyrush. If Apollo had air like that, it would still be in my top 10 lol.

Batwing is just crazy forceful. During the ride you feel like something's pushing down on your face and arms the whole time. The vertical loop and the helix at the end are easily the best parts of the ride because its so intense.

Wild One is def better than KD's 3 woodies and I'd even go out on a limb and say its better than Lightning Racer. Even with that one jolt in the track, it still delivers a pretty crazy ride. Especially toward the end. The last few drops into the helix are definitely the most intense moments on a wooden coaster I've had.

So my top 10 is basically
1. Skyrush
2. Intimidator 305
3. Storm Runner
4. Fahrenheit
5. Superman: Ride of Steel
6. Batwing

7. Manta
8. Montu
9. Wild One
10. Flight of Fear

And of all the coasters I rode at the park, Mind Eraser was pretty much the only "bad" coaster I rode. The collection is pretty solid.

- I thought you guys knew I already lost my marbles when I said I liked Scott G and thought Haunt was just as good as HOS. Cool

Thanks given by:  Nicole, TrevorBondi, John, horsesboy, Jesy
05/20/15 at 08:50am in Trip Report 5/17/15
I understand where you are coming from netdvn. Superman: Ride of Steel has some intense ejector airtime. I don't keep a numbered top ten myself because I feel it is so subjective but I love Wild One and I know the "jolt" you speak of, it was from the coaster being reprofiled for the old water ride that used to sit under it that is now where Apocalypse is. I always get a ton of shit for this, but ROAR is one of my favorite wood coasters as is. The ride is totally out of control and fun.

Waking up fresh every mornin'; Openin' up for you; Waitin' for your laughter; With so much new to do! Busch—Gardens! Busch—Gardens! Come to Busch Gardens and come to life! Come to Busch Gardens and come—to life!
Contact Me: Private Message | Email | Twitter | Coaster Count
Thanks given by:  Mike541x
05/22/15 at 11:18am in Trip Report 5/17/15
Batwing is damn impressive, rode it twice as I wanted the front and back view. The back was better, and that is rare for me to say. I live about 45 minutes from this park and have the season pass that gains me admission to all the Six Flags (I want to go to the one in Jersey, haven't been there in over 20 years).

I agree with the shade aspect of this place, there isn't much of it.
05/28/15 at 01:52pm in Trip Report 5/17/15 (Latest Edit: 05/28/15 at 01:56pm by railryda.)
(05/18/15 02:07pm)netdvn Wrote:  Roar (3.5/5) - If this thing got retracked and the new flyer trains, this would probably rank much higher. It has potential but the end roughness sorta kills ride for me. Love the pacing and the layout in general. Basically what Wildcat needs to be.

A good 80-90% of Roar has been retracked.

(05/18/15 05:57pm)netdvn Wrote:  I missed the stunt show since we were focused on rides. My sister saw it though. She said it was really cheesy. The indoor FX show is supposedly good but they didn't have any showtime's during the day.

The stunt show is a combination of improv/slapstick comedy and martial arts show. Hence cheesy.

(05/18/15 11:22pm)Thomas Wrote:  It is boring... and then it kills its riders.

Let's clarify this statement... Six Flags America's Superman has never killed anyone nor has a passenger made impact with a Flying Goose.
Thanks given by:  Shane, Mushroom, Nicole, netdvn

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |