ParkFans Logo

Worth the trip?

05/10/15 at 10:27pm in Worth the trip? (Latest Edit: 05/11/15 at 12:08pm by Zachary.)
I have never been to the park but will be in DC for a long weekend the first weekend in June. I have given some thought to going to the park for a day but my question is it worth it? I currently have season passes to both KD and BGW so I am trying to find out if Six Flags has enough that the other two do not to justify the cost to someone on a moderate budget?
05/10/15 at 10:47pm in Worth the trip? (Latest Edit: 05/10/15 at 10:50pm by Connor.)
This is a tough one. This park makes Kings Dominion look like Disney, it's really, really, bad. Out of the nine coasters seven are clones and none of them are really that great other than Superman, my favorite is Rajun Cajun. There are two "shows" but they are barely entertainment. The main reason I don't like the park is because of the crowds. They are some of the worst people you will meet. I remember somebody spit on me last year on Superman for using a flash pass and then preceded to get the station to "Boo" me for cutting (After the incident I received a Christmas Card from the high-ups of SFA and the email to the Park President, I usually bump into management when I visit now) I will be there June 14th as I make an annual visit every year. I'm torn on if I would recommend the park but you can still probably make a fun visit out of it.

Where is Hummel Boy?
Thanks given by:  horsesboy, Zachary, Youhow2
05/10/15 at 10:52pm in Worth the trip?
Depends on how big of a credit whore you are...

Google+ | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Thanks given by:  Nicole, Zimmy, Zachary, Youhow2, John
05/11/15 at 12:53am in Worth the trip? (Latest Edit: 05/11/15 at 12:53am by UnicornZiva.)
I'd go if you have specific credits you want to get, but the park is dirty, the rides are poorly maintained, and the crowd is rowdy. On a single trip to Six Flags I encountered a knife fight AND had a flat break down while I was on it. Absolutely not worth the trip in my mind, unless I wanted to complete my B&M credits by riding IronWolfAlypse

SHUT UP ABOUT SEVERED HEADS
Thanks given by:  horsesboy, Zachary
05/11/15 at 01:28am in Worth the trip?
If you are already in DC, it would only be worth it if you are looking to kill a few hours. It's truly nothing remarkable.
Thanks given by:  horsesboy, UncleDuncan
05/11/15 at 12:10pm in Worth the trip? (Latest Edit: 05/11/15 at 12:12pm by Mushroom.)
Six Flags America is an... interesting place. I think another member here summed it up best, describing the park as a "shitstorm of WTF." It's certainly not an aesthetically pleasing park. While it is divided into "themed" areas, these areas are virtually indistinguishable and the park feels like a large, permanent carnival.

That said, I personally enjoyed SFA's coaster collection. Batwing is fairly unique, and I thought it was a really interesting and thrilling ride. Superman is phenomenal and has great speed and airtime. Both of the park's wood coasters are great, with one "modern" twisty woody and one "classic" wooden coaster. They're both really fun. Apocolypse isn't a bad coaster, especially compared to other standups, but if you dislike standups, you probably won't like that one either. Joker's Jinx is basically an outdoor Flight of Fear, but that's a different (and fun) experience all on its own. There's also a standard spinning mouse and a fucking painful Vekoma SLC.

There are a few other fun rides, like a crazy dry-park raft ride, or a train, or a drop tower. The water park, surprisingly, was far nicer than the actual amusement park, and I would highly recommend it if you decide to visit. It was well done.

I don't mean to scare you away. The park's not hideous. There's some decent landscaping around the park, and some areas have somewhat well-themed architecture. Just don't go in expecting what you would see at Virginia's parks.

One more thing: the park is small. Much smaller than I had expected it to be, and far smaller than either BGW or KD. Unless you decide to do the waterpark, you could probably experience the major attractions in a few hours.

So, if you're interested more in a themed, rounded atmosphere like at BGW or KD, Six Flags America probably isn't for you. If you're looking for some fairly unique thrill rides, though, SFA is a decent way to spend an afternoon.

Find Busch Dominion:
BuschDominion.com | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Thanks given by:  Zachary, UncleDuncan, mtpelepele, horsesboy
05/11/15 at 12:11pm in Worth the trip? (Latest Edit: 05/11/15 at 12:13pm by Zachary.)
If you're in the neighborhood I'm of the opinion that any park is worth visiting once. Typically the worst case scenario is that you come out with a crazy story to tell... and occasionally maybe a knife wound at SFA... but we'll ignore that possibility for the sake of argument. Tongue

I'll also say this: If you're staying in DC, maybe a day trip to Hershey would be better?

Find Me: Twitter | Facebook | Google+
Contact Me: Private Message | Email

Our biggest foe is our inclination towards complacency and willingness to settle for mediocrity.
Thanks given by:  UncleDuncan, mtpelepele
05/11/15 at 01:07pm in Worth the trip? (Latest Edit: 05/11/15 at 01:08pm by UncleDuncan.)
I did a trip report about SFA recently. If you're really interested, you can dig it up and check it out for yourself. I doubt you'll find anyone who will resoundingly recommend SFA to you, but it's not all bad. Just depends on what you're looking to do when you go there. Here's a quick list of pros and cons based on my experiences - hope it helps.

Pros:
1. A few interesting rides (Superman, alone, could justify a single trip to the park)
2. Six Flags has apparently made in-roads into improving the park; these improvements are noticeable
3. For a few dollars more, you can upgrade your day pass into a season pass that works at all Six Flags parks, including parking (!!!)
4. It's not as terrible as people make it out to be
5. Nothing is more thrilling than taking your life into your hands - thus, this may be the most thrilling park in America

Cons:
1. A lot of coasters are clones of better iterations found elsewhere
2. The park layout is actually very confusing; you will need to refer to your map often
3. Experiences vary greatly; I went last year, found it quaint and mostly nice. Others claim to witness violence, lack of security, general weirdness, etc etc.
4. Newer installs are shitty refurbs brought in from elsewhere (don't believe the Rajun Cajun hype - that ride sucks balls)
5. It's still a Six Flags park so expect to pay Six Flags prices (of course, this is why I pregame in the parking lot with food and drinks)

There's other stuff to consider as well, I suppose, like shrubbery layout and themed areas and other nonsense that may be applicable at BGW or Disney. But let's be real: it's a Six Flags park and your expectations should be adjusted for the experience they provide. If you really need a themed experience, this park as well as most Six Flags properties should be avoided like the plague.

I'm not telling you to stay at home, but like a few others who posted before, it's hard to give it a thumbs up. If I had my choice of going or not going, I'd probably go.

A ParkFans Advisor for the people!
Thanks given by:  Zachary, Nicole, Mushroom, netdvn, mtpelepele, horsesboy
05/12/15 at 03:51pm in Worth the trip?
My advice is to go as early in the season as possible. Six Flags is generally not the nicest of companies to it's front line employees. If you go early in the year, they're a little less, well, disenfranchised. The park does have some great rides. Superman is tons of fun, with some killer airtime. Wild One is a wonderful classic woodie. ROAR used to be great, but it's gotten quite rough over the years. Batwing's a fun flying coaster, quite a bit better than Carowind's. They tweaked the design a bit between the construction of the two, definitely for the better. But overall, expect the patrons to be what you'd expect for a park just outside of DC. It's a bit rougher around the edges than the crowds you'd see at KD or Busch. But again, early season, before the real crowds hit, is usually an enjoyable time at the park.
Thanks given by:  Zachary
05/12/15 at 03:58pm in Worth the trip?
I have never been to Six Flags America but I kind of want to go now just because these comments make it sound like "Mad Max: The Theme Park"
Thanks given by:  Zachary, Zimmy, Applesauce, Nicole, horsesboy, Washingtonian, Youhow2
05/12/15 at 04:47pm in Worth the trip?
Superman has such impressive airtime, it literally ejects people from the ride.

Google+ | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Thanks given by:  Zimmy, Shane, Washingtonian, Youhow2
06/05/15 at 08:20pm in Worth the trip?
I spent some time at the park today and will do a full write up on my visit and posted in a day or two. It was quite inter sting to say the least.
Thanks given by:  Nicole, Zimmy, Shane
07/31/15 at 02:40pm in Worth the trip?
This is technically my home park. But not that i claim it. Over the years its gone from Bad to worse. Becareful going there according to some ppl i know who go and work there. There have been alot of rival gangs going there are there are sometimes alot of fights.

"Its as much fun to scare as it is to be scared."--Vincent Price..

Sammi
Thanks given by:  Nicole
08/01/15 at 08:10pm in Worth the trip?
I went there today as some of my friends in radio had a promo appearance and I have a season pass for that park and everything else in the Six Flags network. They were running two trains on Jokers Jinx, Ride of Steel and Mind Eraser at the very least. Batwing had not opened by 2 PM, it was supposed to open at 11, then 11:30, and 2:30 was the latest time but I was done for the day by that point. It wasn't crowded to me, but I think a lot of people go to the water park. The biggest issue w/this park is the rides are well too short. When you are waiting too long because a train is in the station, that's a problem. I think what would help is more employees working the trains.

Granted, I have never been there at night, so I can't comment about what someone else said.

I have been in the DC area for over 30 years, to the point that I remember when Six Flags was called Wild World. Even thought Busch Gardens doesn't have as many coasters, by a long shot, they got the better ones for the DC area.
Thanks given by:  Zachary, horsesboy
08/02/15 at 04:31pm in Worth the trip?
I say this to everyone, its a park you have to experience at some point.

Waking up fresh every mornin'; Openin' up for you; Waitin' for your laughter; With so much new to do! Busch—Gardens! Busch—Gardens! Come to Busch Gardens and come to life! Come to Busch Gardens and come—to life!
Contact Me: Private Message | Email | Twitter | Coaster Count

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |