ParkFans Logo

Spring Bloom Festival 2015

01/19/15 at 05:12pm in Spring Bloom Festival 2015
It's back! Kings Dominion's Spring Bloom Festival is returning for its second season, this year expanding into Planet Snoopy.

Kings Dominion Wrote:Make sure to visit Kings Dominion during our 2nd Annual Spring Bloom Festival, April 3 through May 3. Be there as we transform International Street into a kaleidoscope of vibrant colors with thousands of blooms. Taste our unique spring foods and beverages, enjoy toe-tapping entertainment and participate in our hands-on activities for kids in our Planet Snoopy area. Don’t miss it!

Dates: April 3 - May 3
04/03/15, 04/04/15, 04/05/15, 04/06/15, 04/07/15, 04/08/15, 04/09/15, 04/10/15, 04/11/15, 04/12/15, 04/18/15, 04/19/15, 04/25/15, 04/26/15, 05/02/15, 05/03/15

Link

Find Busch Dominion:
BuschDominion.com | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Thanks given by:  Nicole, Matthew, Peyton, John, MAZ, Jesy, Hokie305, Zachary, GeoUSA
02/06/15 at 09:18pm in Spring Bloom Festival 2015 (Latest Edit: 02/06/15 at 09:19pm by Joe.)
Check out some of the new aspects of the festival Kings Dominion has recently announced!

Decor
Thousands of spring flowers are planted by our very own landscaping department, transforming International Street into a kaleidoscope of vibrant colors. Whimsical butterfly and dragonfly decorations adorn the area around the Eiffel Tower and our famous fountain.

Concerts
Kings Dominion is excited to offer free concerts that spell FUN for the whole family! Guests of the park can enjoy these free family-friendly concerts on Saturday, April 11th and Sunday, April 19th.

Dining
Our Executive Chef is whipping up delicious delicacies that highlight the unique tastes of spring in our region. Special food and beverage offerings will be available in select restaurants along International Street.

Children's Activities
Little ones can participate in hands-on activities in Planet Snoopy. These interactive events are free on weekends through May 3.

Entertainment
Stop and smell the roses with our beautiful Butterfly Princess as she floats along International Street. Strap on your dancing shoes and enjoy toe-tapping entertainment from local Country and Bluegrass bands all weekend long. Showtimes are 1:30pm, 2:30pm & 3:30pm at the Spring Bloom Stage!

Link

Find Busch Dominion:
Thanks given by:  Nicole, Luke, MAZ, Zachary
03/01/15 at 03:04pm in Spring Bloom Festival 2015 (Latest Edit: 03/01/15 at 04:37pm by Zachary.)
I'm very curious about the new Spring Bloom Festival "special dining." In fact, I think I see some #ForScience...

Menus:

Germany
- Mini German Bratwurst Pretzel Roll with Pickled Onions, Local Farm Braised Purple Cabbage, and Ground Mustard served with German Lentil Spring Vegetable and Micro Green Salad
- German Sticky Bun Bread Pudding with Stout Beer Caramel
- Main Street Virginia Ale (German Ale) and Barrel Aged Scotchtown Ale
Center of the Universe Brewing, Ashland, VA.

Hawaii
- Seared Hawaiian Ahi Tuna with Lilikoi Shrimp Butter and Sesame Watercress Radish Salad on Furikake Rice with Garlic Ginger Mayo and Micro Wasabi Greens
- Coconut Custard with Macerated Mango, Micro Mint and a Pineapple Malasada (donut)
- Kona Big Wave Golden Ale
- Utebier Spring Ale, Legend Brewing Co., Richmond, VA.
- Chambourcin Wine (jam and soft fruit notes), James River Cellars, Glen Allen, VA.

Italy
- Grilled Tuscan Bruschetta with Hanover Red and Yellow Heirloom Tomato Salad, Buffalo Mozzerella and Crumbled Goat Cheese with Baby Arugula, Micro Basil and Blood Orange Balsamic served with a Spring Pea Pesto Orzo Salad
- Amalfi Coast Lemoncello Mousse with Candied Lemon Peel, Mascarpone Cream and Micro Mint
- Azrael Belgian Strong Pale Ale, Devils Backbone, Roseland, VA.
- Hanover Red, James River Cellars, Glen Allen, VA.

Jamaica
- Jamaican Jerk Chicken over Coconut Rice and Peas with Island Papaya Chutney and Micro Cilantro
- Land Shark Lager
- Jamaican Ginger Beer (nonalcoholic)

Switzerland
- Swiss Mac and Cheese with Bacon, Onions and Potatoes, Gruyere and a Fresh Spring Chive Oil
- Toblerone Chocolate Fondue with Fresh Spring Fruits and Biscotti
- Orange is the New Stout (chocolate, orange, caramel beer), Center of the Universe Brewing, Ashland, VA.
- Rad Red, James River Cellars, Glen Allen, VA.

Vietnam
- Kalbi Marinated Grilled Beef Short Ribs served with Kim Chi
- Fried Banana Lumpia with Cinnamon, Brown Sugar and Gingered Whip Cream
- Tiger Beer
- Chardonnel, James River Cellars, Glen Allen, VA.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  Zachary, Peyton, MAZ, Jesy, GeoUSA
03/01/15 at 03:32pm in Spring Bloom Festival 2015
Wow. I certainly won't say KD is "copying" BGW by any means, but they're certainly giving the folks in Williamsburg a run for their money.

Find Busch Dominion:
Thanks given by:  Zachary, Matthew, Jesy, Youhow2
03/01/15 at 03:37pm in Spring Bloom Festival 2015
I'm all for healthy competition, as long as it doesn't turn into a zero-sum game. I want both culinary departments to succeed.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  Joe, Zachary, Jesy
03/01/15 at 03:38pm in Spring Bloom Festival 2015
I am thrilled by all the VA Wine and Brew. Too bad other places don't do that too. (I'm looking at you BGW)

Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate! - William of Occam
I'm serious now, who here wants my job? - NASA Director James Webb
Thanks given by:  Zachary, MAZ, sufpadd, GeoUSA, Youhow2
03/01/15 at 03:42pm in Spring Bloom Festival 2015
As I've said before, BGW and KD both going after the same market could lead to great things, so long as it doesn't get out of hand. Don't take this next comment too seriously, but I could see it leading to a mini Disney-Universal one-up game where each park tries to outdo each other.

Things are shaping up to be very interesting for our Virginia parks...

Find Busch Dominion:
Thanks given by:  Zachary, Peyton
03/01/15 at 05:22pm in Spring Bloom Festival 2015
I agree with Zimmy. I love the fact that they are showcasing some of the breweries and wineries that are literally 'right down the road'!

Where? Behind the rabbit?
Thanks given by:  Zachary
03/02/15 at 10:46pm in Spring Bloom Festival 2015 (Latest Edit: 03/03/15 at 08:26am by Nicole.)
We just published an article about the Spring Bloom Festival's International Food Festival. Chef Paul gave us some insight into his unique approach.

Thanks given by:  Zachary, MAZ, Matthew, Joe
03/03/15 at 05:10pm in Spring Bloom Festival 2015
Two installments of the Spring Bloom concert series have been announced!

Also, the Spring Bloom Festival is now being advertised with the tagline "An International Culinary Celebration."

Find Busch Dominion:
Thanks given by:  Nicole, Youhow2, Zachary
03/04/15 at 03:54am in Spring Bloom Festival 2015
SHOTS FIRED.

and I thought last year was bad...

"Too scary for your family?
Visit us during the day to experience family-friendly rides, Sesame Street Forest of Fun and Land of the Dragons children’s areas, and up-close animal encounters perfect for fall fun. Once the clock strikes 6 p.m., the Howl-O-Scream scares begin which may not be suitable for young children."

03/04/15 at 07:17am in Spring Bloom Festival 2015 (Latest Edit: 03/04/15 at 11:12am by mwhinva.)
I think it is funny that some here are so obsessed with thinking that KD & BGW are in some sort of battle to the death on having events with a similar theme or concept.

I believe that the current Cedar Fair headquarters encourages their parks to hold new and expand existing events. Some of these concepts come down from corporate; others might come from the parks themselves. With Quimet in charge, along with a good number of new Cedar Fair upper management folks on board in the last 2-3 years, these events/ideas have taken off

These events encourage new people to attend and give repeat visitors, such as season pass holders, an incentive to increase their frequency of visitation. With increased new and repeat visits, there is the opportunity for more money, more money, more money. That, in turn, helps pay the debt down; gives/increases more profits to the share/unit holder; allows more money to be given to the park for general infrastructure upkeep and improvements; and, most importantly, a strong capital expense budget for new/improved rides and attractions.

The food event is a nice start to something new for Kings Dominion; to put on themselves or to host (BBQ event in August). Course, KD's budget is smaller than what is being spent at Carowinds' version this spring. But, Carowinds is getting the bulk of Cedar Fair's capital expense budget for this year, so I would expect their version would be larger (more food booths and number entrees per booth).

Am I expecting Kings Dominion's food event to have the size and scope of what BGW food event is/does or Disney's Epcot F&W event is/does? NOPE. They just do not have the budget to throw the "kitchen sink" at visitors like Seaworld or Disney parks.

Do I hope for good food and drink; and, that the event will be be a success for Kings Dominion? Certainly, yes!
Thanks given by:  Jake, mtpelepele, Nicole, Zachary
03/04/15 at 09:47am in Spring Bloom Festival 2015 (Latest Edit: 03/04/15 at 09:48am by Nicole.)
We got some more interesting tidbits from Chef Paul!  I think the International Food Festival is shaping up to be a very cool mini-event, and hopeful a good harbinger for an exciting year for KD culinary.

According to the chef, they plan to build themed booths for Switzerland, Germany, and Italy. They are also going to try to use the Bistro for not only the Jamaican and Hawaiian tastings, but also a limited regular menu.

Several permanent food stands on International Street will also likely participate in the Spring Bloom Festival, including Border Café, Pizza Parlor, Fountain and Floats, Panino e Dolce, and World’s Greatest Funnel Cake. Chef Paul is currently developing a spring tasting special that could include dishes like ratatouille pizza, funnel cake topped with spring fruit, a mango or peach salsa, a light seasonal milkshake, and Easter themed cupcakes.

He also told us to keep checking back with the KD website, because he hopes to update the pictures and descriptions of all of the restaurants.  If anyone sees anything, please link it, as I am very interested to see how the International Food Festival turns out.

Thanks given by:  Zachary, Matthew, Jesy
03/04/15 at 11:54am in Spring Bloom Festival 2015 (Latest Edit: 03/04/15 at 11:56am by UncleDuncan.)
Quote:Strap on your dancing shoes and enjoy toe-tapping entertainment from local Country and Bluegrass bands all weekend long.

While I can appreciate the local flavor used for the musical aspect of the festivities, I'd really really like to see parks in general get away from the "local = country" equation. If they offered different varieties for different days, they could cast a wider net.

Puts the Reggae in your Jeggae!
Thanks given by:  Nicole, MAZ, Zachary, Zimmy
03/29/15 at 09:16am in Spring Bloom Festival 2015 (Latest Edit: 03/29/15 at 09:19am by Joe.)
Decorations for the Spring Bloom Festival have shown up throughout the park!

International Street

*Sorry for the horrible image quality. It was so cold yesterday, and I didn't want to take my fingers out of my gloves to adjust my camera.

Planet Snoopy

They've also been advertising the Festival throughout the park:

Find Busch Dominion:
Thanks given by:  Connor, Jesy, Zachary, Luke

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |