ParkFans Logo

WaterWorks Transforms into Soak City for 2015

08/21/14 at 08:59am in WaterWorks Transforms into Soak City for 2015 (Latest Edit: 02/10/15 at 07:10pm by Zachary.)

Kings Dominion Wrote:DOSWELL, VA (August 21, 2014) – Kings Dominion is adding a splash to its 40th anniversary celebration with a major expansion to its 20-acre water park, WaterWorks. The newly expanded water park will open to the public in the spring of 2015.

In addition to the water slides, rides and wave pool that have been a part of WaterWorks, the new expansion features elements that spell fun for the whole family including a mega water slide complex, a family-friendly splash zone, expanded cabana accommodations and amenities that will enhance the overall water park experience for guests.

The 65-foot tall slide complex features three thrilling new attractions. On Paradise Plunge, thrill-seekers will step into one of three chambers and wait anxiously for the floor to drop out from underneath their feet, sending them in a high-speed, almost vertical free fall through a series of loops and s-curves in a translucent flume. Aqua Blast will send riders twisting and spiraling through an enclosed chute featuring four intense 360-degree loops across 449 feet of slide before they’re dropped out into a pool of water. A wet and wild adventure will await guests on Thunder Falls as they climb into a single or double raft before being launched down a series of intense drops and turns.

Splash Island will be a space geared toward younger guests and their parents and will double the current size of the children’s options available in WaterWorks. Features include small slides designed for young children and multiple jets of streaming water that spray up from the ground, as well as overhead. Little ones can let their imaginations run wild as they get soaked underneath large cascading flowers, take a trip down a slide, or pump and direct water that shoots out from one of the many splash pad creatures.

Splash Island will also offer options for parents and family members looking to relax and soak up the sun in the adjacent lounge area while they watch the children play.

In addition to expanded pool-side cabanas, upgraded bath houses and additional restrooms are also part of the water park expansion plans.

“This major expansion to WaterWorks will allow family members of all generations to experience water park fun together with our new splash zone,” Kings Dominion’s vice-president and general manager Pat Jones said. “We are keeping with our traditions of providing entertainment and fun to all ages. We chose this six-slide complex to give our thrill-seeking guests a completely new water slide experience and Splash Island to provide a relaxing environment for more family fun.”

WaterWorks will continue to be available at no extra charge for Kings Dominion visitors. “We’re happy to offer two parks for the price of one,” says Jones. “The improved look and feel of WaterWorks will add to our guest’s experience. We can’t wait to share that with them.”

Guests who want to be among the first to experience the exciting new additions to Kings Dominion’s water park can purchase a 2015 Season Pass now at the absolute lowest price online at kingsdominion.com or at the park during public operating days through November 3.

Find Me: Twitter | Facebook | Google+
Contact Me: Private Message | Email

Our biggest foe is our inclination towards complacency and willingness to settle for mediocrity.
Thanks given by:  Mushroom, Connor, Nicole, b.mac, Matthew, Jonquil, MAZ
Mehhhhhh

I get that it's huge, but I was going for something more special next year.
Thanks given by:  Zachary, Matthew
08/21/14 at 09:11am in WaterWorks Transforms into Soak City for 2015 (Latest Edit: 08/21/14 at 09:15am by Zachary.)
Agreed. I'm especially disappointed to see that we're not even looking at a first in the state here. They could have impressed me if they had gone the HydroMAGNETIC route or even opted for a simple AquaLoop. Undecided

Find Me: Twitter | Facebook | Google+
Contact Me: Private Message | Email

Our biggest foe is our inclination towards complacency and willingness to settle for mediocrity.
Thanks given by:  Mushroom, Connor, Matthew, Reece, Youhow2, Zimmy, SWStevo
08/21/14 at 09:15am in WaterWorks Transforms into Soak City for 2015 (Latest Edit: 08/21/14 at 09:17am by Mushroom.)
From the looks of it, the slide tower will indeed go in the clearing of trees across from the wave pool? If that is the case then I assume Splash Island will go in Shoot the Curl's spot (or perhaps next to it, keeping STC?).

If so then both are very much needed. The walk between upper and lower WaterWorks is currently a long walk through the trees. That's pleasant, but kills the flow of the water park. Having a slide there could help tie both areas together. Also, currently both children's areas are located at the very back of WaterWorks. Bringing one to the front (if that's what they are doing) will expand children's offerings throughout the park, and may enhance the look of the main plaza.

Splash Island also sounds like it will fill the void left by Snoopy's Splash Dance in that it will be a splash pad, as opposed to a children's pool like the existing children's area.

I am disappointed that one of three big attractions is exactly like Vanish Point. There are so many unique slides out there, and they pick one just like what their competitor an hour away has?

One thing that interests me: All the new attractions have names with a tropical theme. Is there something they haven't told us yet? Hmm...

Find Busch Dominion:
BuschDominion.com | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Thanks given by:  Connor
08/21/14 at 09:46am in WaterWorks Transforms into Soak City for 2015 (Latest Edit: 08/21/14 at 09:48am by Username.)
(08/21/14 09:15am)Joe Wrote:  One thing that interests me: All the new attractions have names with a tropical theme. Is there something they haven't told us yet? Hmm...

I'm not super familiar with Waterworks so I could be completely off on this but I was looking at the Kings Dominion pass page (because I'm seriously considering getting an annual pass for 2015) and I noticed the pass includes "Free parking and Boomerang Bay". I think that is Carrowinds waterpark? They probably just posted the wrong image but maybe they are changing the name to get it aligned with the other parks?

https://www.kingsdominion.com/ticket-cat...son-Passes

Edit: Though now that I look up Boomerang Bay, I now see it is an Australian themed park not tropical (which I should have figured by the name). So never mind that theory...
Kings Island's water park used to be called Boomerang Bay before being rethemed to Soak City. That was probably just a mistake.

Find Busch Dominion:
Thanks given by:  Zachary, Username
Did anybody else see that the pass next year has an unlimited dining add on?
Thanks given by:  Mushroom, Reece
I didn't see that. I wonder if they are adopting the same system that Six Flags has. Pay an upfront fee and get lunch and dinner without paying the rest of the season. It looked like a great perk.

Find Busch Dominion:
I doubt that this is all that they have in store for their actual 40th. I imagine we will see a continuation of the improvements they added this year bringing the park even more in line with the old KECO KD.

Waking up fresh every mornin'; Openin' up for you; Waitin' for your laughter; With so much new to do! Busch—Gardens! Busch—Gardens! Come to Busch Gardens and come to life! Come to Busch Gardens and come—to life!
Contact Me: Private Message | Email | Twitter | Coaster Count
Thanks given by:  Connor, Pretzel Kaiser, Jonquil, Mushroom
Where's the link for the unlimited dining pass? This is great!
I still don't understand why they didn't want a water coaster. But overall looks like a great addition!

Where is Hummel Boy?
08/21/14 at 10:53am in WaterWorks Transforms into Soak City for 2015 (Latest Edit: 08/21/14 at 10:54am by Nicole.)
All y'all are missing the critical pieces:

(08/21/14 08:59am)Zachary Wrote:  ...expanded cabana accommodations and amenities that will enhance the overall water park experience for guests...upgraded bath houses...

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  Zachary, Reece, MAZ, Youhow2
As in there will be more than one bathroom in the water park now?
Thanks given by:  Username
(08/21/14 11:06am)b.mac Wrote:  As in there will be more than one bathroom in the water park now?

The press release stated something about extra restrooms. Not sure if they are making the existing ones larger or adding another set south of the Rebel Yell.

In addition to expanded pool-side cabanas, upgraded bath houses and additional restrooms are also part of the water park expansion plans.

I am a little underwhelmed that we are getting only one slide complex. I would have thought they would add at least a racing mat slide of some sort. Nice wishing for a water coaster. As I stated earlier, the park chain has not added one to any of the other water park expansions in the chain. Seems most of the CF corporate money is focused on Carowinds right now.
Thanks given by:  Connor, Mushroom
08/21/14 at 11:49am in WaterWorks Transforms into Soak City for 2015 (Latest Edit: 08/21/14 at 11:51am by Matthew.)
The renovations to WaterWorks sound good, but the ride is very underwhelming. It has a lot on it which is cool, but other than that, there's nothing special to it. There's no way I'm going on another Dropbox slide so I can be drowned again, and the rest sound cool, but are nothing different than what any other park has. I was hoping for a cool new, one of a kind thing that WCUSA doesn't have already, or for that matter, what Water Works doesn't have already. At least they're renovating Water Works a bit, but that's all I can say, sadly.
So I guess it's the same thing as Snake Pit at Dorney. I'm not really underwhelmed because they added similar things to all the other parks. It's more than what Carowinds got last year

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |