ParkFans Logo

24 people stuck on Jokers Jinx

08/10/14 at 05:17pm in 24 people stuck on Jokers Jinx (Latest Edit: 08/10/14 at 05:19pm by The Kid.)
Quote:UPPER MARLBORO, Md. (AP) - Authorities say a roller coaster carrying 24 people has become stuck near the top of the ride and fire officials are trying to rescue them at Six Flags America in Maryland.

Prince George's County Fire officials were called to The Joker's Jinx roller coaster at the park just before 2:30 p.m. Sunday. No injuries have been reported.

Assistant Fire Chief Paul Gomez says the riders are sitting upright near the top of the ride. He says it will likely take a few hours to get them down.

It's not clear what caused the ride to get stuck. Telephone and email messages left for a Six Flags spokeswoman were not immediately returned.

Six Flags' website says the ride goes 60 miles per hour and upside down four times.

Hope everyone is ok!

Thanks given by:  Nicole
08/10/14 at 06:14pm in 24 people stuck on Jokers Jinx (Latest Edit: 08/10/14 at 06:16pm by Unagi.)
How the hell did it get stuck there?!

That's gonna be a pain in the ass to evacuate!

And I LOVE how the riders in the last car have umbrellas to protect them from the sun! LMFAO
Thanks given by:  Nicole, SWStevo
08/10/14 at 07:50pm in 24 people stuck on Jokers Jinx
I heard on the news that they will get a skyucket crane to get people down. It is going to take several hours because they have to fit a harness onto everyone on the train. I do feel bad for them though, it took 3 hours just for the fire and rescue people to get to them on the ride.

Thanks given by:  Unagi
08/10/14 at 08:19pm in 24 people stuck on Jokers Jinx
This is literally the best thing that can happen to a person at Six Flags America.

Google+ | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Thanks given by:  Pretzel Kaiser, Matthew, Youhow2, Mike541x, Joe, Nicole, Zachary, SWStevo
08/10/14 at 08:32pm in 24 people stuck on Jokers Jinx (Latest Edit: 08/10/14 at 11:23pm by UnicornZiva.)
Surprise, Six Flags America can't take care of their coasters!
Thanks given by:  Nicole
08/10/14 at 08:39pm in 24 people stuck on Jokers Jinx
(08/10/14 06:14pm)Unagi Wrote:  How the hell did it get stuck there?!  

For this style of ride, the highest element isn't directly after the launch. So if the launch malfunctioned but still was able to get it through the first element (cobra roll, then sidewinder). It probably won't get to the highest point after it completing those elements if it barely cleared the first "hill", which will cause the ride to valley/ stall somewhere.

The "fail-safe" for preventing this is having brakes at the end of the launch track which will "abort" the launch if it doesn't launch to a minimum speed. Now you still have other elements like weather, friction, weight of the train, and all that mess that could slow the ride down even if it is launched to the correct speed, but that's even more rare.

This is also what caused the Verbolten accident way back in the day. Excpet they were testing that factor of Bolt at the time.

I've been sorta waiting for this sort of thing to happen on these rides (Flight of Fear included).

Coaster Count: 115

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." ~ Walt Disney
Thanks given by:  The Kid, Connor, SWStevo
08/10/14 at 11:39pm in 24 people stuck on Jokers Jinx
Chiller saddled in awkward spots like this a few times. Amazed it hasn't happened on the spaghetti bowls until now.
08/11/14 at 02:31am in 24 people stuck on Jokers Jinx
(08/10/14 08:39pm)Evan Wrote:  I've been sorta waiting for this sort of thing to happen on these rides (Flight of Fear included).

Just spoke to my friend that worked at KD in the 1990s.

He said the spot where the train valleyed is problematic with all the working models and on FoF there is even an evac platform located right where this problem spot is. He said this happened quite a bit when he worked at KD.
Thanks given by:  Evan, MAZ, Joe, Connor, Mike541x, SWStevo
08/11/14 at 02:33am in 24 people stuck on Jokers Jinx
so what you are saying is 6 Flags = teh bad

Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate! - William of Occam
I'm serious now, who here wants my job? - NASA Director James Webb
08/11/14 at 09:51am in 24 people stuck on Jokers Jinx
It would certainly be more fun to get stuck on a ride inside with an evac platform as opposed to outside with nothing. Why, for the love of coasters, would Six Flag's version not have the same platform?

Where? Behind the rabbit?
Thanks given by:  SWStevo
08/11/14 at 10:23am in 24 people stuck on Jokers Jinx
because... 6 flags

Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate! - William of Occam
I'm serious now, who here wants my job? - NASA Director James Webb
Thanks given by:  UnicornZiva, Mike541x, SWStevo, TPF
08/11/14 at 10:29am in 24 people stuck on Jokers Jinx
I have to agree, much rather get stuck on this at Kings Dominion or Kings Island while you are indoor instead of sitting in the heat for hours on Joker's Jinx or Poltergeist at Six Flags Fiesta Texas.

Waking up fresh every mornin'; Openin' up for you; Waitin' for your laughter; With so much new to do! Busch—Gardens! Busch—Gardens! Come to Busch Gardens and come to life! Come to Busch Gardens and come—to life!
Contact Me: Private Message | Email | Twitter | Coaster Count
Thanks given by:  Jonquil, SWStevo
08/11/14 at 10:30am in 24 people stuck on Jokers Jinx (Latest Edit: 08/11/14 at 10:53am by Evan.)
Joker's Jinx doesn't have a MCBR. So I'm sure that played into the factor.

Also since Flight of Fear is indoors, they can't in any way get a crane inside if this event happened. So I'm sure protocol was to have catwalks in these areas. Also Kings Dominion has a crane system inside that is attached to the ceiling. A few years back, the Henrico Rescue team(?) did their practice tests in FoF.

Edit for clarification: KD can't get a mobile crane in place. So I'm sure they have more protocol that required them to have catwalks installed as opposed to Joker's Jinx needing one since a crane could be in place at SFA. Also since Kings Dominion can't get a mobile crane inside, they also have a crane system installed to the ceiling.

Thanks given by:  Jonquil, Unagi, Peter R., SWStevo
08/11/14 at 10:46am in 24 people stuck on Jokers Jinx
I thought the ones at KD/KI have a platform at that spot.
08/11/14 at 10:49am in 24 people stuck on Jokers Jinx
They do.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |