ParkFans Logo

Skyrider to be Removed

08/07/14 at 11:59am in Skyrider to be Removed
Two news stories about standup coasters in one day?

Toronto Sun Wrote:TORONTO - Thrill-seekers may want to head over to Canada’s Wonderland and ride the SkyRider one last time.

The stand-up roller-coaster is retiring on Sept. 1.

“After 29 years and over 22 million riders, we had to make a difficult decision and look to the future,” Dave Phillips, vice-president of marketing and sales at the amusement park, said Wednesday.

Opened in 1985, the one-and-a-half minute ride was the first stand-up coaster to be built in Canada and the second in the world with a loop. It also became Wonderland’s fifth roller-coaster addition to the park.

After being strapped in with feet flat on the ground, riders climb 88 feet (26 metres) in the air before taking on a vertical loop.

Classified as a number five on Wonderland’s thrill factor scale, the park says popularity wasn’t a factor in the decision to shut down the ride.

According to Phillips, Wonderland will be undergoing a large redevelopment program after Sept. 1. Currently, SkyRider sits on 5,100 square metres of prime space right between the Splash Works and the mountain. Here, Wonderland saw an opportunity.

“We like to space out (our ideas) over time and we always want to be innovative and leading the industry,” Phillips said. “Guests still like it and it’s a great attraction, but you have to look within the park to understand what’s best for the future.”

Though Phillips was mum on any details about what will be happening next, he said there were “certainly” concepts in mind for a new attraction.

In the upcoming weeks, Wonderland will be announcing a special chance for the last few riders of the roller-coaster to receive commemorative memorabilia. The last chance to race through the skies on SkyRider will be at 8 p.m. on Sept. 1.
Source

Waking up fresh every mornin'; Openin' up for you; Waitin' for your laughter; With so much new to do! Busch—Gardens! Busch—Gardens! Come to Busch Gardens and come to life! Come to Busch Gardens and come—to life!
Contact Me: Private Message | Email | Twitter | Coaster Count
Thanks given by:  Jonquil, Zachary, The Kid
08/07/14 at 12:45pm in Skyrider to be Removed
AKA. More parts for Kings Dominion's Stand up TOGO coaster.

Coaster Count: 115

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." ~ Walt Disney
08/07/14 at 12:45pm in Skyrider to be Removed (Latest Edit: 08/07/14 at 12:48pm by Zimmy.)
that is terrible news...
EDIT
Not the removal, but the potential spare parts

Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate! - William of Occam
I'm serious now, who here wants my job? - NASA Director James Webb
Thanks given by:  Pretzel Kaiser, Jonquil, Youhow2, netdvn, Mike541x, UnicornZiva
08/07/14 at 12:47pm in Skyrider to be Removed
I'm in favor of mass disposal of all stand-ups.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  Zimmy, MAZ, Jonquil, pandorazboxx, UnicornZiva, UncleDuncan
08/07/14 at 01:06pm in Skyrider to be Removed
They are my least favorite too Nicole. A stand-up wing rider might spark my interest, but all TOGOs must go the way of the Dodo.

Where? Behind the rabbit?
Thanks given by:  Nicole
08/07/14 at 01:30pm in Skyrider to be Removed
splash them with boiling hand sanitizer?

08/07/14 at 01:43pm in Skyrider to be Removed
I figured CW's first coaster to go would be Dragon Fire or this. Oh right, for those not savvy about international parks Canada's Wonderland this will be the first coaster they have ever removed.
08/07/14 at 05:11pm in Skyrider to be Removed
I thought they removed Thunder Run from inside the mountain with the construction of the Guardian?

Waking up fresh every mornin'; Openin' up for you; Waitin' for your laughter; With so much new to do! Busch—Gardens! Busch—Gardens! Come to Busch Gardens and come to life! Come to Busch Gardens and come—to life!
Contact Me: Private Message | Email | Twitter | Coaster Count
08/07/14 at 05:42pm in Skyrider to be Removed
Nope, still there.
08/07/14 at 05:47pm in Skyrider to be Removed (Latest Edit: 08/07/14 at 05:48pm by Peter R..)
If Wikipedia is to be believed it was relocated and expanded:

Quote:The coaster opened on May 23, 1981, and operated until 1985 as Blauer Enzian, but in 1986 it was relocated, extended, and incorporated into the mountain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_Run...derland%29

Does anyone know if this is correct?

Check Out My I Miss The Drachen Fire Fanpage
08/09/14 at 03:51pm in Skyrider to be Removed
Looks to be so according to RCDB.

http://rcdb.com/63.htm

They have a few photos as well.
Thanks given by:  Nicole, Zimmy
09/01/14 at 12:01pm in Skyrider to be Removed
I think Kings Dominion should buy this!

Where is Hummel Boy?
09/01/14 at 02:05pm in Skyrider to be Removed (Latest Edit: 09/01/14 at 02:05pm by Ben.)
Two stand ups in one park? Image

“Nothing stresses me out. Except having to seek the approval of my inferiors.” - Dwight Schrute

Former username: Ben
Thanks given by:  Matthew, Connor, Zimmy
09/02/14 at 02:27am in Skyrider to be Removed
KD already has a ball busting, boob bruiser Togo. It needs to go away, not receive a sibling.

09/16/14 at 03:41pm in Skyrider to be Removed
You'll probably spit out your water as I did by get ready for this, Skyrider was sold!

Where is Hummel Boy?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |