ParkFans Logo

Chesapeake Area

07/09/14 at 10:38am in Chesapeake Area
I was looking at the SixFlags America map today on SixFlags website and noticed that the Skull Island and Old Boston sections of the park had be combined and renamed "Chesapeake." I find this extremely odd. While the pirate-esque theme of Skull Island was pretty much abandoned with the opening of Apocalypse in 2012 I can't really figure out why it was combined with Old Boston and renamed Chesapeake.

Waking up fresh every mornin'; Openin' up for you; Waitin' for your laughter; With so much new to do! Busch—Gardens! Busch—Gardens! Come to Busch Gardens and come to life! Come to Busch Gardens and come—to life!
Contact Me: Private Message | Email | Twitter | Coaster Count
07/09/14 at 10:42am in Chesapeake Area
This are does have a lot of Pirate history, so it does make sense.
07/09/14 at 11:18am in Chesapeake Area
Its not a Pirate themed area anymore though. They just shoe-horned two totally different themed areas into a new name that don't fit together.

Waking up fresh every mornin'; Openin' up for you; Waitin' for your laughter; With so much new to do! Busch—Gardens! Busch—Gardens! Come to Busch Gardens and come to life! Come to Busch Gardens and come—to life!
Thanks given by:  Connor
07/09/14 at 11:50am in Chesapeake Area
*Thinks snarky comment about Six Flags parks to herself.*

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  Zimmy
07/09/14 at 11:57am in Chesapeake Area
I'm pretty sure that theming is not one of the parks strong points Smiling (too snarky?)

Where? Behind the rabbit?
Thanks given by:  Zachary, Zimmy
07/09/14 at 12:27pm in Chesapeake Area (Latest Edit: 07/09/14 at 12:27pm by Connor.)
(07/09/14 11:57am)Mazakman Wrote:  I'm pretty sure that theming is not one of the parks strong points Smiling  (too snarky?)
You have to admit Ragin Cajun's wooden station and concrete platform truly does make you feel like your at a fair and that the ride could collapse at any moment. That my friends is true theming!

Where is Hummel Boy?
07/09/14 at 06:48pm in Chesapeake Area
I must see pictures.

07/09/14 at 07:15pm in Chesapeake Area
Sounds like a failed attempt at theming a section with regional appeal.

But this is Six Flags. They're known for some bizarre theming scenarios like when Medusa opened at Great Adventure in 1999 in the park's American West area!
Thanks given by:  Connor, Pretzel Kaiser
07/10/14 at 11:47am in Chesapeake Area
I know. It drives me crazy. I will say that SixFlags America has been doing a lot better at keeping things themed to one area within the last 4-5 years. I really think dropping the Skull Island name was really because it has nothing to do with Pirates anymore so I kind of am ok with it. I just don't understand combining it with the Boston section, thats all that gets me.

07/10/14 at 11:52am in Chesapeake Area (Latest Edit: 07/10/14 at 12:00pm by Nicole.)
I remember at media day there were zombie pirates roaming the island. I would love to meet the creative design team at the park.

Where is Hummel Boy?
07/10/14 at 01:17pm in Chesapeake Area
(07/10/14 11:52am)Connor Wrote:  I would love to meet the creative design team at the park.
Are the theme elements there really a 'team' effort? They would be like the 'Cowboys' of the amusement industry. Smiling

Where? Behind the rabbit?
07/10/14 at 01:48pm in Chesapeake Area
(07/10/14 11:52am)Connor Wrote:  I remember at media day there were zombie pirates roaming the island. I would love to meet the creative design cowboy at the park.
Fixed!

Where is Hummel Boy?
Thanks given by:  MAZ
07/14/14 at 10:30am in Chesapeake Area
I went to the park yesterday so expect a trip report that might surprise you about how bad the park has gotten. Here's a picture of the new sign:Image
(Sorry for the double post!)

Where is Hummel Boy?
07/25/14 at 09:04am in Chesapeake Area
So its official. I need to get back up there soon.

07/25/14 at 09:14am in Chesapeake Area
Why do I see another FunChallenge brewing?

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |