ParkFans Logo

Photos From the Early Years

06/11/14 at 05:42pm in Photos From the Early Years (Latest Edit: 06/11/14 at 07:17pm by GeoUSA.)
Anyone else have early park photos to add?  Here are a few from my first visit in 1976.  I believe the main attractions were the animals, flume ride, train, and LeMans Raceway.  I am hoping to find more photos to share.

Here is a photo of an Anheuser Busch Clydesdale with yours truly petting him.

I am unsure if LeMans Raceway was originally called Rollous or if this is just an advertisement.  In the first image my father and I are exiting the car.  Check out the uniforms!  The next image shows part of the course with no other development or coasters in view.  The third shot allows you to read the advertisement in back.

Animals were an important attraction and also filled some of the space that would later be filled with rides.  Here are a couple of shots.

Thanks given by:  netdvn, chickenking, jruscoe1, Connor, MAZ, Nicole, Hoopla, Jesy, Mad Ludwig, jpcommons, Lee, BGW Family, Alf33, Unagi, Jonquil, Hawth, Kirbster
06/11/14 at 06:10pm in Photos From the Early Years
Cool pictures Geo! I've seen many deer around the park this year from the train ride. Usually in and around the woods surrounding both ends of the trestle.

Where? Behind the rabbit?
06/11/14 at 07:54pm in Photos From the Early Years (Latest Edit: 06/11/14 at 07:55pm by chickenking.)
^^Aaaaahhh...those appear to be Highland Cattle.  Nice. Smiling

"As king, you must find the good in any situation."
06/11/14 at 07:55pm in Photos From the Early Years
Fantastic pictures Geo! Thanks for sharing! Grinning

Find Me: Twitter | Facebook | Google+
Contact Me: Private Message | Email

Our biggest foe is our inclination towards complacency and willingness to settle for mediocrity.
06/11/14 at 08:06pm in Photos From the Early Years (Latest Edit: 06/11/14 at 08:11pm by GeoUSA.)
(06/11/14 07:54pm)chickenking Wrote:  ^^Aaaaahhh...those appear to be Highland Cattle.  Nice. Smiling

It was a surprising revelation (flashback?) for me as well, CK. I am looking forward to seeing the "new" ones in the park! I think a train ride is in my future.

In the Clydesdale photo, are we looking down into England or into Hastings (Ireland)? Notice how the people on the bridge are looking down at something? I am having a hard time getting my bearings.
06/11/14 at 08:17pm in Photos From the Early Years (Latest Edit: 06/11/14 at 08:20pm by MAZ.)
That would be Hastings judging by the tent tops.
It does look weird though.

Where? Behind the rabbit?
Thanks given by:  Zachary, Nicole, Party Rocker
06/13/14 at 11:06am in Photos From the Early Years (Latest Edit: 06/13/14 at 11:09am by GeoUSA.)
In going through old photos, I found a few more some members may find interesting or remember. Anyone else have early pics to share? I know toting a blocky, non-digital camera around a theme park was not the easiest thing to do but I know there are great photos out there to scan and share!

Back in 1993 I worked for the College of William & Mary during the 300th birthday celebration. Anheuser-Busch was one of the primary sponsors and the celebration culminated with a day in the park for tens of thousands of alumni, staff, and friends. Before the park opened, AB participated in the homecoming parade along Richmond Road. Below is the event ticket and maybe the only time Clydesdales have traveled Richmond Road.

When the Royal Petting Zoo was around, we would always check in on the Cinnamon Bears to see how much they had grown that season. At the start of the season they were really adorable cubs and then would grow surprisingly quickly throughout the summer. This photo from 1995 is the only one I have found so far. I am sorry it is a little dark.

Thanks given by:  Nicole, netdvn, Zachary, BGW Family, jruscoe1, Unagi, Lee, MAZ, Hawth
06/13/14 at 06:20pm in Photos From the Early Years
Great pics, Geo!

It's nice having someone else post old-school personal pics of the park. Now I don't feel so old amongst all these young ones here! Tongue
Thanks given by:  Nicole, GeoUSA, Zachary, Lee, MAZ, Jonquil
06/18/14 at 03:46pm in Photos From the Early Years (Latest Edit: 06/18/14 at 05:01pm by GeoUSA.)
Had a short, fun day in the park on a 99° day.  Circled the park, rode AC and Alpie, dined in the Festhaus and escaped from Entwined in less than 2 hours.  Also snapped a photo in the spot where my mom and dad took my photo on our first visit in 1976.  Here's a little wizardry to merge 38 years of history.

I <3 BGW!

Thanks given by:  Connor, Zachary, chickenking, Lee, Sky, Hawth
06/18/14 at 03:50pm in Photos From the Early Years
...so there are actually more trees now than then?

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
06/18/14 at 03:53pm in Photos From the Early Years
(06/18/14 03:50pm)Nicole Wrote:  ...so there are actually more trees now than then?

The lack of trees was very classy back then.

A ParkFans Advisor for the people!
Thanks given by:  Nicole
06/18/14 at 04:00pm in Photos From the Early Years (Latest Edit: 06/18/14 at 04:00pm by Joe.)
Whenever I see those godawful Hastings tents, I remember how thankful I am for Killarney.

Find Busch Dominion:
BuschDominion.com | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Thanks given by:  Zachary, Hoopla, CastleOSullivan, Jesy
06/18/14 at 04:20pm in Photos From the Early Years
(06/18/14 03:50pm)Nicole Wrote:  ...so there are actually more trees now than then?

Well, back then the park was new, and they cleared out a lot of trees around many of the pathways.

Also, the trees have since matured and grown in height and reach, so it gives a more full appearance now than it did back then.
06/18/14 at 04:23pm in Photos From the Early Years
I have been going to BGW since the 70s, myself. I was just being snarky. Sorry.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  Unagi, netdvn
06/18/14 at 04:34pm in Photos From the Early Years
(06/18/14 04:23pm)Nicole Wrote:  I have been going to BGW since the 70s, myself.  I was just being snarky.  Sorry.

Sorry I didn't catch that.  I was laughing hysterically at this video I just posted on this thread while I was replying to your post!
Thanks given by:  Nicole

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |