ParkFans Logo

Country Kitchen

01/19/14 at 09:18pm in Country Kitchen (Latest Edit: 01/19/14 at 09:20pm by Evan.)
Wiki Page Coming Soon...

Coaster Count: 115

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." ~ Walt Disney
03/03/14 at 12:26pm in Country Kitchen
Does anyone recall the last time the upstairs section of Country Kitchen was open? I honestly don't think I have ever seen it open to the public, so I assume it is permanently closed off.

I can't quite remember everything, but last time I was at the Country Kitchen I remember looking up to see that the tables were still in place, but the chairs were stacked on top of them. So, it looks like the space could open up if it needed to. Course, there wouldn't really be a need to between the fact the restaurant is never very crowded (it would just require more maintenance) and the fact that the stairs could pose issues for people carrying lunch trays.

I always just find it odd to see that upstairs area sitting empty. Does anyone (*cough*mwhinva*cough*) recall when this area was used, and when its use was ceased? Thanks.

Find Busch Dominion:
BuschDominion.com | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
03/03/14 at 12:30pm in Country Kitchen
Last time I saw the upstairs open was 4th of july last season. And it was packed.

Where? Behind the rabbit?
03/03/14 at 12:34pm in Country Kitchen
Okay, so it does open on occasion, when the space is needed. That is very helpful, thanks!

Find Busch Dominion:
03/03/14 at 12:39pm in Country Kitchen
My new general rule of thumb that I use, if there are cars parked in the gravel sections on the parking lot, turn around and go home! (This was the case last 4th and we only stayed for the 15minutes of fireworks.)

Where? Behind the rabbit?
03/03/14 at 12:52pm in Country Kitchen (Latest Edit: 03/03/14 at 12:52pm by Evan.)
I find that funny. I typically brace myself when I see the back half of the parking lot being used Tongue

I remember seeing somewhere saying that the 2nd floor was used in Country Kitchen during the 2013 season.

Coaster Count: 115

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." ~ Walt Disney
03/28/14 at 02:12pm in Country Kitchen
Interesting shot of Country Kitchen from (what I believe is) the 70's. Note the original sign.

By the way, I guess Kings Dominion *technically* has an official "animal encounter" since they stock the pond the Country Kitchen overlooks with goldfish and catfish, and provide fish food to feed them. Cool!

Find Busch Dominion:
Thanks given by:  Connor, Jesy
10/26/14 at 07:15pm in Country Kitchen (Latest Edit: 10/26/14 at 07:15pm by Mushroom.)
I had a chat with Chef Paul at the Haunt VIP Meal, and he said he will be making this restaurant one of his main focuses for next year. I guess that makes sense, given the endless list of yummy possibilities in the "country cooking"/"comfort foods" that are a perfect fit for Country Kitchen. He didn't say much, but he said he's looking into more "authentic" barbecue foods, and I'm pretty sure he said something about ribs going onto the menu. I wish there was more to tell, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Sounds like we're in for some yummy surprises in 2015!

Find Busch Dominion:
Thanks given by:  Jonquil, Jesy, Nicole, Zachary, UncleDuncan
10/26/14 at 08:56pm in Country Kitchen
Thanks Joe for the update. I always thought the Country Kitchen had great potential for someone like Chef Paul to have some influence over the food.

The food quality started going down hill during the Paramount years. Cedar Fair did try to make some changes by offering more hot/cold side dishes. Sadly, I kept feeling the food was more "institutionalized" (out of the can). I thought, in the right hands, The Country Kitchen could be the signature restaurant in the park.

During the economic downturn, the ribs were offered in limited quantities (off the menu - upon request only). Then they were dropped. I also noticed the park changed suppliers for their chicken (grilled chicken). The size of the chicken parts grew smaller as well. I assume this was a combination of rising food costs and the impact on the wallets/purses of park visitors.

I hope Chef Paul can create recipes for the side dishes and bring a better focus to the barbecue they were noted for.
Thanks given by:  Jonquil, Mushroom, Zachary
11/03/14 at 03:42am in Country Kitchen
I wonder if barbecue is the next main food focus in the Cedar Fair chain. I noticed that other sites have reported that Dorney park is turning one of their food facilities into a place to serve barbecue, including beef brisket, for 2015.

As in earlier discussions, I always thought Country Kitchen was the best bet for Chef Paul to work with in improving the food variety and quality.
Thanks given by:  Mushroom
03/29/15 at 06:23am in Country Kitchen
Just curious, did anyone stop by the Country Kitchen to see the interior changes and menu? Course, I am not sure if it was open on preview day.
03/29/15 at 08:01am in Country Kitchen (Latest Edit: 03/29/15 at 08:46am by Mushroom.)
I ate there with a few others on here this weekend. They didn't seem completely ready yet (no grilled chicken yet, no idea whether drinks came with all-season dining), but I can't blame them. The only changes I noticed thus far is that pulled chicken barbecue sandwiches are now available in addition to pork, and the new sauces were available.

As for the interior changes, it looks like it's still a work in progress. All the wood beams and furniture were painted a lime green (they were red last year). However, a lot of the pictures/signs hung on the walls were missing, and the wallpaper border that ran across the walls was taken down. The walls were just a bare white yesterday, so I'm guessing they're getting ready to do something (wallpaper maybe?).

Find Busch Dominion:
03/29/15 at 07:50pm in Country Kitchen
I liked the new, more subtle paint scheme. I do hope it stays.

I had the pork BBQ with a sweet sauce. It was quiet good, unfortunately it was cold. I did not get upset over this, as Joe pointed out they all had dress rehearsal jitters and were learning the new processes.

Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate! - William of Occam
I'm serious now, who here wants my job? - NASA Director James Webb
Thanks given by:  Mushroom, Zachary
04/09/15 at 04:22pm in Country Kitchen (Latest Edit: 04/09/15 at 04:22pm by Zachary.)
I had the moonshine BBQ sandwich last weekend. I'm no expert, but in my relatively inexperienced opinion, that was some damn good BBQ. I actually think I prefer it to a lot of the BBQ I've had in real restaurants.

Oh, plus, last Saturday the upstairs to Country Kitchen was open! New KDFans hangout spot!

Find Me: Twitter | Facebook | Google+
Contact Me: Private Message | Email

Our biggest foe is our inclination towards complacency and willingness to settle for mediocrity.
Thanks given by:  John
04/09/15 at 07:24pm in Country Kitchen
Not all of KDFans plans to "hang out" in the Country Kitchen.

"Wit has some truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words." -- Dorothy Parker
Thanks given by:  John, Matthew, Connor

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |