ParkFans Logo

Shoot the Rapids Boat Flips Injuring 10 Riders

07/19/13 at 09:23pm in Shoot the Rapids Boat Flips Injuring 10 Riders (Latest Edit: 07/19/13 at 09:25pm by Zachary.)

Cedar Point has not announced what happened yet.
Thanks given by:  Zachary
Full Story. Tonight is not a good night for the industry.

Find Me: Twitter | Facebook | Google+
Contact Me: Private Message | Email

Our biggest foe is our inclination towards complacency and willingness to settle for mediocrity.
Thanks given by:  b.mac, Peter R., Joe
For those who don't know, this ride has OTSRs.
It has also had its share of issues previously, nothing on this scale though.

Intamin is definitely in for a much rougher ride after everything that's happened the last few years, and then having this tossed on them.
07/19/13 at 09:58pm in Shoot the Rapids Boat Flips Injuring 10 Riders (Latest Edit: 07/19/13 at 10:04pm by Evan.)

Photo Credit

Photo Credit

EDIT: the old image has the same restraints, but this picture is the actual Shoot the Rapids boats.

Coaster Count: 115

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." ~ Walt Disney
Thanks given by:  Peter R.
Thanks given by:  Evan
It sounds like there still are good people in the world! I hope everyone ends up being okay. I wonder how this happened...

Find Busch Dominion:
BuschDominion.com | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Very likely a failure of the rollback chain, only way a vehicle can fall back down the lift hill.
Cedar Point Wrote:Hi Steve - our ride operators did stop the ride after one of the boats rolled back down the lift hill. All of the guests on the boat were evaluated, treated and released and everyone is ok.

Cedar Point Wrote:Hi Shawn - the guests on the boat at the time of the incident were treated and released. We are currently investigating the incident, as safety is our #1 priority.
07/19/13 at 11:10pm in Shoot the Rapids Boat Flips Injuring 10 Riders (Latest Edit: 07/19/13 at 11:11pm by b.mac.)
Let me point out that park guests hopped into the water to upright the flipped boat. Employees were doing their job by stopping the ride and calling Emergency Personnel.

We should all thank those guests, especially Cedar Point themselves, who went out of their way to hop into the water and upright the boat. If they stood by we would be reporting on deaths instead of injuries.
Evacuated my hind parts!

They were rescued. No thanks to that place.
Thanks given by:  b.mac, destroyer421, Jacques
07/19/13 at 11:47pm in Shoot the Rapids Boat Flips Injuring 10 Riders (Latest Edit: 07/19/13 at 11:48pm by Pretzel Kaiser.)
A bit more information from here. Seven people on the ride one went to the hospital.

Looking at the maps, they all were very lucky. Had the lift failed and they capsized on the second lift, then nobody could have made it in time. The closes place that has a clear view of the accident is an observation platform/sprayer thing that can be found on google maps.
Thanks given by:  Joe

Seems like they may reopen it unannounced... probably best.

Coaster Count: 115

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." ~ Walt Disney
"Deadly Cedar Point flume ride set to reopen this summer"

Not a good headline.

Google+ | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Thanks given by:  Connor, Nicole, Zachary
Not a true headline either since no one died.
Thanks given by:  Jacques, Zachary, Joe

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |