ParkFans Logo

Lady Thrown From The New Texas Giant

07/19/13 at 09:21pm in Lady Thrown From The New Texas Giant (Latest Edit: 07/19/13 at 09:23pm by Zachary.)
Oh no.

Find Me: Twitter | Facebook | Google+
Contact Me: Private Message | Email

Our biggest foe is our inclination towards complacency and willingness to settle for mediocrity.
Thanks given by:  b.mac, xpert98, Peter R., Hoopla, Joe
07/19/13 at 09:39pm in Lady Thrown From The New Texas Giant
Bit more information here.

Our biggest foe is our inclination towards complacency and willingness to settle for mediocrity.
Thanks given by:  Peter R., chickenking
07/19/13 at 09:46pm in Lady Thrown From The New Texas Giant
Oh no. This is terrible. How does something like this happen?

In case you're thinking I might be wrong about this brilliant theory, please, consider the following: No. I'm not.
Thanks given by:  Parkgoer
07/19/13 at 09:50pm in Lady Thrown From The New Texas Giant
It's worth noting that the trains were designed and manufactured by Gerstlauer Rides, not Rocky Mountain Coasters. This seems like a train issue but I fear Rocky Mountain Coasters is going to end up with a whole ton of bad press resulting from a misinformed media.

Thanks given by:  Julia
07/19/13 at 09:52pm in Lady Thrown From The New Texas Giant
May prayers go out for the children, family and friends. Wow.

"As king, you must find the good in any situation."
Thanks given by:  Parkgoer, Hoopla, b.mac, Planeteer, gazisghost, destroyer421, Julia
07/19/13 at 09:53pm in Lady Thrown From The New Texas Giant
The Gerstlauer trains use pneumatics for their lap bar restraint mechanism, and had no redundancy system in case of failure. Don't know what caused it but non-redundant rides are definitely going to be questioned on their safety after this (see: Apollo's).
07/19/13 at 09:58pm in Lady Thrown From The New Texas Giant

Thanks given by:  Joe, Julia
07/19/13 at 10:33pm in Lady Thrown From The New Texas Giant
The words no one wants to hear:

Thanks given by:  Julia
07/20/13 at 03:37am in Lady Thrown From The New Texas Giant (Latest Edit: 07/20/13 at 03:38am by Nora.)
I am getting the sense that the restraint bar never clicked shut completely. How terrifying for her and her son. It also sounds like there was an employee who disregarded her safety.

This is terrible and the loss of her life seemed completely preventable given the circumstances. Better safety systems to ensure all the seats are locked and secure; not to mention better training of the staff manning the ride.

My thoughts go to her family. So shocking and unbelievably sad.

BGW: Have a great day at Busch Gardens, The Old Country! KD: Ride on!
Thanks given by:  Joe, Julia
07/20/13 at 03:59am in Lady Thrown From The New Texas Giant
(07/20/13 03:37am)Nora Wrote:  I am getting the sense that the restraint bar never clicked shut completely.
If that were the case the train never would've been capable of leaving the station due to the block system.
07/20/13 at 08:14am in Lady Thrown From The New Texas Giant
Just like Nora said, something on the lap restraint didn't click. It might have registered with the system, but not exactly latch all the way. My heart, thoughts, and prayers go out to her family.

When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead.-Hemingway
07/20/13 at 12:49pm in Lady Thrown From The New Texas Giant (Latest Edit: 07/20/13 at 12:51pm by Zachary.)
From Six Flags Over Texas' Facebook page:
Quote:We are deeply saddened to share that earlier this evening an adult woman died in the park while on the Texas Giant. Park medical staff and local paramedics responded immediately. Since the safety of our guests and employees is our number one priority, that section of the park has been temporarily closed. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends during this difficult time.

From Rocky Mountain Coaster's Facebook page:
Quote:RMC is deeply saddened by the tragedy that occurred this evening in Texas. First and foremost, our heartfelt sympathies and prayers go to the family and friends involved during this difficult time. Currently we do not have any comments regarding specifics of the tragedy. We are working diligently to gather facts and understand exactly what took place. We appreciate your patience and once again our condolences go to the family and everyone involved.

Nothing from Gerstlauer yet.

Thanks given by:  Peter R., Natoma, Joe, Julia
07/20/13 at 06:18pm in Lady Thrown From The New Texas Giant
Here's a picture of the victim.

07/20/13 at 07:31pm in Lady Thrown From The New Texas Giant
Superman: Ride of Steel comes to mind.
Thanks given by:  Unagi, Julia
07/20/13 at 09:56pm in Lady Thrown From The New Texas Giant
Well, she appears to be a guest of size which would explain the restraint not fully clicking in. I have had times myself where I felt like I was close to flying out of my seat ( on SFA and KD owned woodies).

Check Out My I Miss The Drachen Fire Fanpage

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |