ParkFans Logo

Links to the Past

06/22/13 at 03:06pm in Links to the Past (Latest Edit: 07/12/16 at 11:29am by Joe.)
Thanks to the similar thread posted by Dr. Money for Busch Gardens, I figured, as someone else in that thread suggested, that we should have a similar thread for Kings Dominion. This might actually be even more fun because of how Kings Dominion has jumped completely from one chain to another to another. Cedar Fair has been really intent and has relentlessly removed every major reference to Paramount, Cedar Fair-izing the park.

So, the basic point of this thread is to see where Paramount references still remain that Cedar Fair hasn't taken over, or even if there are links to the past from the original owners. Like Doc's thread, I'll keep the list on this first post updated. Again, this should be fun because of how Cedar Fair works to basically erase every reference to the past! Also, as someone stated earlier, Paramount basically ruined the park, so the bad areas are mainly where Paramount's stuff has not yet changed. Remember that this list is meant for actual leftover references to the past, not just how the park hasn't yet changed!

Links to the past at Kings Dominion
1. Flyng Ace vehicles resemble Nickelodeon theme - Planet Snoopy (formerly Nickelodeon Central)
2. Signs in the Woodstock Express station still feature the old Kidzville signs, logos, print, characters, etc. - Planet Snoopy (formerly KidZvile)
3. Hurler's name, logo, and remaining themed station resemble Paramount theme - Grove (formerly Wayne's World)
4. Signs throughout the park still refer to the Action Theater by its Paramount name, F/X Theater - International Street and direction signs throughout the park
5. The Paramount's Kings Dominion logo is still featured on the front of the Ricochet cars, the "Paramount" word itself has simply been removed - Grove
6. Boo Blasters on Boo Hill ride vehicles resemblant of Scooby Doo! theme and Mystery Machine cars. "Ghastly Swamp" name reference to Scooby Doo! - Planet Snoopy (formerly KidZville)
7. A safety sign in Dodgem's queue features Hanna-Barbera characters - Grove
8. Props remaining from the Lost World rides, along with track, from previuous attractions in the space remain in the Volcano area - Congo
9. Hypersonic XLC station used as storage next to Windseeker - Grove
10. KidZville crane and water tower still intact at Grove entrance to Planet Snoopy - Planet Snoopy, Grove/Congo entrance
11. Backlot Stunt Coaster resemblant of "Italian Job" vehicles and theme from Paramount - Congo

Let's see what we can uncover from Kings Dominion's past!

Find Busch Dominion:
BuschDominion.com | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Thanks given by:  IndyRacingNut, Zachary, Evan
06/22/13 at 03:53pm in Links to the Past
The Volcano Tongue

Don't worry, I still love you Busch Gardens!
06/22/13 at 03:57pm in Links to the Past
(06/22/13 03:53pm)Hoopla Wrote:  The Volcano Tongue
:dodgy:

I know it's based on a Paramount movie, but it doesn't really reference it directly. It's generic enough to be another run-of-the-mill Cedar Far attraction as far as specific corporate theming goes Cool

Find Busch Dominion:
06/22/13 at 07:10pm in Links to the Past
The Italian job.
06/22/13 at 07:30pm in Links to the Past
I would say Volcano counts, because they have several props left over from the previous rides that were in that mountain structure. They still have part of the track from the log flume that was originally part of that mountain. Unless this has changed (which I doubt it) they even have one of the boats still sitting there on a rusty track. You can see it in that small body of water off to the side.

"Be careful what you wish for, be sure your wish is wise."
Thanks given by:  Joe
06/22/13 at 07:35pm in Links to the Past
You can also see a bit of track embedded into the mountain near the first launch if you look upward from the line for the front row if I remember correctly.

Find Me: Twitter | Facebook | Google+
Contact Me: Private Message | Email

Our biggest foe is our inclination towards complacency and willingness to settle for mediocrity.
Thanks given by:  CastleOSullivan, Joe
06/22/13 at 08:01pm in Links to the Past
Okay, I got you, sorry about that. Blushing Added the Volcano props from the old rides to the list. About Backlot... I'm not sure about that, seeing as it doesn't directly relate to the Italian Job anymore...it's just a car-themed coaster with special effects now. Most of the movie references themselves have been erased. What do you guys think?

Keep 'em coming!

Find Busch Dominion:
06/22/13 at 08:14pm in Links to the Past (Latest Edit: 06/22/13 at 08:17pm by Joe.)
Also, I abbreviated the points in the list so the info is short and sweet.

EDIT: Sorry to double-post...I figured this would just go to the bottom of my previous post like normal, but I'm guessing I waited too long? Blushing

Find Busch Dominion:
06/22/13 at 11:58pm in Links to the Past
(06/22/13 08:01pm)J0E1 Wrote:  Okay, I got you, sorry about that. Blushing Added the Volcano props from the old rides to the list. About Backlot... I'm not sure about that, seeing as it doesn't directly relate to the Italian Job anymore...it's just a car-themed coaster with special effects now. Most of the movie references themselves have been erased. What do you guys think?

If people actually bothered to see the movie (trust me you kinda don't, it's bad) they could be able to identify that the ride is similar to the movie, along with the fact that the cars are obviously shaped to Mini Coopers just without the headlights, taillights, grill, etc. It's kind of a stretch really but it does reference that it is influenced by a Paramount movie.

On a related "The Italian Job" note, go watch the original.
06/23/13 at 01:13am in Links to the Past
The Hyper Sonic Station is still intact behind WindSeeker.

Coaster Count: 115

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." ~ Walt Disney
06/23/13 at 01:36am in Links to the Past
Not to forget the southernmost entrance to Planet Snoopy (by Congo, but not in it, technically connected to the Grove) is still the original entrance from the former KidzVille.
06/23/13 at 07:18am in Links to the Past (Latest Edit: 06/23/13 at 07:22am by mwhinva.)
(06/22/13 07:30pm)CastleOSullivan Wrote:  I would say Volcano counts, because they have several props left over from the previous rides that were in that mountain structure. They still have part of the track from the log flume that was originally part of that mountain. Unless this has changed (which I doubt it) they even have one of the boats still sitting there on a rusty track. You can see it in that small body of water off to the side.

Not sure if you are referencing the boat in the lagoon in front of the Volcano boarding station; if so, that is NOT a ride vehicle from the Haunted River. That is a prop that came from one of the scenes (shipwreck - might have originally been a "lifeboat") with a tapered (pointed) bow and squared off stern. The ride vehicles were squarish with 3 rows of 2 across seating. Poor diagram of boat shape below. Short center flat front with tapered corners (same for the rear of the boat add bumpers at the front/back of the vehicle)

____
/....\
|---|
|---|
|---|
\___/
Thanks given by:  Joe, Evan
06/23/13 at 07:57am in Links to the Past
I've got one- The Eiffel Tower and Woodstock Express (Scooby Doo Coaster)

Don't worry, I still love you Busch Gardens!
06/23/13 at 09:30am in Links to the Past
Added the Hypersonic station, KidZville crane (good one! - On a related note, check out how they have changed it to look like a space ship...very cool), and, yes B.mac, Backlot's resemblance to the Italian Job.

Hoopla, for you:
Those are a bit too vague and don't necessarily reference the past (though I'll look in to whether the fact they brief you on the history of the Eiffel Tower on the way up counts), and Woodstock Express may have an important history to the park, but keep in mind that it's not like the sign still has a picture of Scooby Doo on it or anything. Plus, Cedar Fair has actually renamed the ride twice to even get rid of Scooby (if it were still Ghoster Coaster, which shared a name with SCooby Doo's Ghoster Coaster, I guess that would have counted) .But I like your suggestions Winking

Keep in mind, guys, we're looking for more than just things that remain from the past, we're looking for unchanged things from the past that actually don't fit anymore because they link you back based on what they give you. Like the tree in Killarney that talkes about Corkscrew Hill, or the stained glass in the Festhaus that still says "Hastings" on it...both are references to a Busch Gardens of another time. On the other hand, saying "Loch Ness Monster" is a reference to the past is more of a stretch simply because the ride itself is old and was there during the AB era...it's not like there's a sketch of an AB eagle in the crew's quarters in the LNM queue or anything (which would be wicked cool.). I feel like we need to look for more of references to the past, not just what are necessarily leftovers they've tweaked. /twocents/

Keep em' coming! Cool

Find Busch Dominion:
06/24/13 at 12:29am in Links to the Past (Latest Edit: 06/24/13 at 12:31am by netdvn.)
I recall either the park or KD Golden Years posting a pic of the old safari entrance still standing in a back area on Facebook. Not sure if it counts because its off limits to guests, but its definitely a remnant.

Project Geauga Lake - Photos! - BGW Crowd Calendar - Don't look back, as you brave the Black Forest

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |