ParkFans Logo

Reimagining Italy: Pompeii Hamlet & Festa Apollo

04/09/13 at 07:01pm in Reimagining Italy: Pompeii Hamlet & Festa Apollo (Latest Edit: 03/21/14 at 04:42pm by Zachary.)
With rumors of Gwazi's old Millennium Flyer trains heading to Williamsburg swirling around right now everyone seems to be tossing out their ideas about where a possible GCI woodie could be placed at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. People have hypothesized everything from Festhaus Park to Ireland so, in keeping with the current trend, I've decided to toss my hat into the ring. Without further adieu, I give you my concept for a Pompeii-themed hamlet (click on the image to view the full-sized version):

Attractions:
  • Escape from Pompeii: The Intamin Flume, through troublesome, still has a home in the new Pompeii hamlet. Apart from an enlarged show building, a modified queue, and some additional theming throughout the queue and bordering the lift and drop, Escape from Pompeii remains unchanged.
  • Neptune's Treasures: For being owned by a chain focused primarily on sealife, Busch Gardens Williamsburg has always had a suprising lack of sea creatures of any kind. That changes with the new themed walkthrough aquarium, Neptune's Treasures. This new attraction will give guests the chance to walk through Neptune's underwater palace and view a menagerie of different species of saltwater fish. This attraction is located in the bottom of Escape from Pompeii's newly expanded show building.
  • Vulcanus: This GCI woodie is the centerpiece attraction of Pompeii. Named after the Latin name of the Roman god of fire and volcanoes, this brand new coaster will provide an experience like no other.

Shopping & Eateries:
  • Delizie del Mediterraneo: Busch Gardens Williamsburg finally gets a real table-service restaurant! Delizie del Mediterraneo, which translates to Delights of the Mediterranean, serves up fresh Mediterranean cuisine ranging from Yogurt-Marinated Lamb Chops to Grilled Branzino with Ladolemono sauce to Summer Tomato Bouillabaisse with Basil Rouille. In addition to some basic staple items there will also be a range of seasonal items and daily chef specials as well. Such variety will allow guests to sample something different each and every time they visit the park.
  • Open-Air Market: In addition to our premium dining experience presented above there will also be multiple booths serving up small snacks, fresh fruit, souvenirs, and more.
  • Mount Vesuvius Gifts (Labeled "Shop" on the map): Mount Vesuvius Gifts is a small gift shop which sells various souvenirs themed to the ancient roman city of Pompeii as well as merchandise for Vulcanus and Escape from Pompeii.

Other Notes
  • Pictured in place of Vulcanus is a perfectly to scale image of American Thunder at Six Flags St. Louis, a recent GCI creation. A POV can be found here for anyone who's interested.
  • Because Escape from Pompeii's theme and story is a bit sloppy, I tried to keep the market area themed to a post-eruption Pompeii while the Vulcanus plaza area has a more classical Roman pre-eruption theme. Because of the separation between the two areas, I don't think they'd clash too badly.
  • Escape from Pompeii's queue has been extended over the current sundial area to make up for the queue area lost by converting the first bit of its current queue into an outdoor marketplace.
  • Escape from Pompeii's show building also received some changes. Most notably the lower level has been expanded to give more room for Neptune's Treasures as well as give the building a bit more depth when you're up close to it. Additionally aqueduct-themed facades would be added to both sides of the ride's lift and crumbling aqueduct-styled archways would be used to "support" the drop.

Credit: Alpenghost, Pretzel, and Shane for various ideas and imput.

Part II: The Festa Apollo Mini-Hamlet concept is now live here!

Find Me: Twitter | Facebook | Google+
Contact Me: Private Message | Email

Our biggest foe is our inclination towards complacency and willingness to settle for mediocrity.
Thanks given by:  chickenking, CastleOSullivan, netdvn, Joe, Planeteer, John
So not only did you keep Escape from Pompeii the Ride, you cleverly found a way to toss the sun dial. I like the overall plan. One question...will this Mediterranean restaurant actually be open once in a while? Cool

"As king, you must find the good in any situation."
Thanks given by:  Zachary
Is that to scale?
04/09/13 at 07:12pm in Reimagining Italy: Pompeii Hamlet & Festa Apollo (Latest Edit: 04/09/13 at 07:13pm by Zachary.)
(04/09/13 07:09pm)chickenking Wrote:  So not only did you keep Escape from Pompeii the Ride, you cleverly found a way to toss the sun dial.

Devil

(04/09/13 07:09pm)chickenking Wrote:  One question...will this Mediterranean restaurant actually be open once in a while? Cool

Alpenghost and I were talking about this. We agreed that it would likely be restricted to weekends. Luckily, unlike Bisto 205, everything would be made to order so they wouldn't be sitting on tons of wasted food.

Our biggest foe is our inclination towards complacency and willingness to settle for mediocrity.
Thanks given by:  John
Oh yeah! Can we please, for the love of all that is good, add a popcorn stand?!?!

"As king, you must find the good in any situation."
I think this is a fantastic idea. It would be a great way to add a new hamlet without the talks of putting it behind roman rapids and getting rid of the stables. The only concern I have is the closeness of the woodie to LNM. It would also be cool if they added a theater for a show.

Don't worry, I still love you Busch Gardens!
Ohhh what we would do if we owned the park... Personally I like it... It finishes one of the few untouched areas of the park... If NL2 was out, I would make a sim

Europe In The Air is the best ride ever... anyone who disagrees should be drug out to the street and shot... Wait... It's not here anymore... OR is it! :/ #EitAConspiracy
04/09/13 at 07:39pm in Reimagining Italy: Pompeii Hamlet & Festa Apollo (Latest Edit: 04/09/13 at 07:40pm by Brandon.)
Kudos on the design of everything, but I must say that I'm not a fan of the idea of a third Italian hamlet. We already have Festa and San Marco. I'm not a fan of the countries with multiple hamlets in the park.
(04/09/13 07:39pm)By-Tor Wrote:  Kudos on the design of everything, but I must say that I'm not a fan of the idea of a third Italian hamlet. We already have Festa and San Marco. I'm not a fan of the countries with multiple hamlets in the park.

I thought about this too but concluded that I could live with it with the hope that Festa will eventually be converted to Greece.

(04/09/13 07:15pm)Hoopla Wrote:  The only concern I have is the closeness of the woodie to LNM.

I figure that you can already clearly see the super ugly backside of Escape from Pompeii from the 2nd lift anyway- why not add a woodie too. Tongue

04/09/13 at 07:44pm in Reimagining Italy: Pompeii Hamlet & Festa Apollo (Latest Edit: 04/09/13 at 07:45pm by Hoopla.)
(04/09/13 07:39pm)By-Tor Wrote:  I'm not a fan of the idea of a third Italian hamlet. We already have Festa and San Marco. I'm not a fan of the countries with multiple hamlets in the park.

Then the park should do what several people have been urging and change Festa into another country. I honestly don't think Festa ever was a good hamlet, they don't even have very good music, just pop versions of stereotype Italian music. They should change it to Spain or Greece. Then they won't have a third Italy hamlet, there will only be two. Which matches up with other hamlet numbers---> i.e. Germany-Oktoberfest, France-New France (somewhat), England-old hastings.

Don't worry, I still love you Busch Gardens!
Thanks given by:  Zachary
For the record, I think Neptune's Treasures is a huge fish fry waiting to happen. Bad idea.
Initially I was thinking it may also be possible to put a path to the new area behind the gelato shop. It couldbe a T instead of when you take a left turn to head to Oktoberfest.

Yes, horror, fright, gore! We need more EVIL!
04/09/13 at 08:10pm in Reimagining Italy: Pompeii Hamlet & Festa Apollo (Latest Edit: 04/09/13 at 08:12pm by Zachary.)
(04/09/13 08:06pm)pandorazboxx Wrote:  Initially I was thinking it may also be possible to put a path to the new area behind the gelato shop. It couldbe a T instead of when you take a left turn to head to Oktoberfest.

That was my original plan but I figured it would pull too much traffic away from Festa which, lets be honest, is the last thing Festa needs.

(04/09/13 08:05pm)Pretzel Kaiser Wrote:  For the record, I think Neptune's Treasures is a huge fish fry waiting to happen. Bad idea.

If Pompeii burns to the ground the park has larger problems than their fish.

(04/09/13 07:44pm)Hoopla Wrote:  Then the park should do what several people have been urging and change Festa into another country. I honestly don't think Festa ever was a good hamlet, they don't even have very good music, just pop versions of stereotype Italian music. They should change it to Spain or Greece. Then they won't have a third Italy hamlet, there will only be two. Which matches up with other hamlet numbers---> i.e. Germany-Oktoberfest, France-New France (somewhat), England-old hastings.

That makes sense, only most of the general public would probably refer to the new Greece as the old Italy and never notice the difference. Excuse my getting off-topic, but if Festa were remodeled I would like it to turn into anything but Greece. In more ways than not, Italy and Greece are the same thing (especially in a theme park's representation).
04/09/13 at 08:52pm in Reimagining Italy: Pompeii Hamlet & Festa Apollo (Latest Edit: 04/09/13 at 08:54pm by Pretzel Kaiser.)
The amount of extra space required for an aquarium is insane. In addition to the actual floor exhibits, it would need the following at the Pompeii location.

Water quality laboratory.
Food prep kitchen.
Vet lab.
Holding/medicine tanks.
Filtration systems, one per tank.
The machinery required to create the water for aquarium use.
Possibly an ozone generator depending on the size.

A lot of these facilities cannot be combined because contamination is a huge issues. Speaking of contamination, there's a good chance the park would have to duplicate all that for an off site quarantine facility depending on size. The amount required for a small aquarium at the park is not worth the money.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |