ParkFans Logo

Christmas event?

09/24/12 at 07:56pm in Christmas event?
Does anyone think KD would make a Christmas event to compete with Christmastown? . I am guessing that they would open a few coasters, most of planet snoopy, and some flats. FOF could operate in any weather and I can see i305 being open as well as maybe dominater. The fountains at the entrance would look great all Christmasy . The question is though: would it be themed well enough and decorated enough to compete with Christmastown?
09/24/12 at 08:38pm in Christmas event?
Protip: It would be Snoopy themed.
Thanks given by:  Haberdasher1973, Joe
09/24/12 at 08:42pm in Christmas event?
Kings Island had a Christmas event running for a few years before it was cut. Since Christmas events are becoming more and more popular, I wouldn't be surprised to see the CF parks bringing Winterfest back.

Project Geauga Lake - Photos! - BGW Crowd Calendar - Don't look back, as you brave the Black Forest
09/24/12 at 09:14pm in Christmas event?
I can see it happening, but I can't see it being as successful as they would want it. I'm sure I305 would run so much better maintenance wise in the cold because of the wheels. Tongue Only ride I beg that they don't let people ride but have "operational" is WindSeeker and that's for the light package it has. But I would not suggest anyone ride it in cold temperatures. But back to the topic. I can see Cedar Fair doing it (and doing it to all their parks) but it just not get the crowd that they would want.

Coaster Count: 115

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." ~ Walt Disney
09/24/12 at 09:41pm in Christmas event?
KD could do one but they have to put in a lot of effort to make it happen. There is virtually minimal to no theming within the park for them to decorate. BGW has an advantage with the themed buildings and areas which are conducive to creating holiday-themed scenarios. This is severely lacking at KD. They could dress up International Street and some of the wooded pathways around the Eiffel tower and maybe the Old Virginia section but there really isn't much else in the park to do so. Shows would be another issue as the park lacks enough venues to stage them. They have the theatre in Old Virginia and one in Planet Snoopy. They could maybe use the Kingswood amphitheater but that is a bit out of the way.
09/24/12 at 10:38pm in Christmas event?
When you think Christmas, your mind might go to a scene like a cozy log cabin in the woods with wreaths on the door and candles in the window...a candy-maker in a quaint Bavarian village with gingerbread men and gumdrops everywhere...something like that. BG has, like, a built-in Christmas theme. Unfortunately for your idea and KD's holiday prospects, King's Dominion has nothing like that.

That said, if I were doing a KD christmas event, I'd go the complete opposite direction from BG. I'd probably cover the place in lights and spotlights and neon and go the non-traditional, edgy route to play off of the park's existing character...you know, like this:

BGW:

KD:

In case you're thinking I might be wrong about this brilliant theory, please, consider the following: No. I'm not.
Thanks given by:  Zachary, Joe
09/24/12 at 11:30pm in Christmas event?

YouTube Link

09/25/12 at 12:36am in Christmas event?
Lights are awesome Grinning. I'm doing that to my house next year.

KD's event Would flop. They could never sucessfully pull off a park wide Christmas feel.
09/25/12 at 01:39pm in Christmas event?
KD could do something less Christmassy and more holiday generic and possibly get some interest, but i mostly doubt it.
09/25/12 at 01:44pm in Christmas event?
(09/25/12 12:36am)Crackel Wrote:  They could never sucessfully pull off a park wide Christmas feel.

Agreed - International Street could be beautiful, but beyond that...

"I am not bound to please thee with my answers." ~Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice
09/25/12 at 04:40pm in Christmas event?
I think they'd almost definitely have to limit the scope of such an event, but I don't know that that would hurt them. The park is sprawling and poorly laid-out and most of it just exists as real estate to put roller coasters on, which wouldn't work safely in the cold, anyway.

I was thinking of an abbreviated park, for sure.

In case you're thinking I might be wrong about this brilliant theory, please, consider the following: No. I'm not.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |