ParkFans Logo

Good Riddance Son of Beast!!!

07/29/12 at 11:49pm in Good Riddance Son of Beast!!!
TAER IT DOWN!!!!

That's what Kings Island is gonna do to the POS coaster known as Son Of Beast!

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/article/...-expansion

Quote:SON OF BEAST ROLLER COASTER TO BE REMOVED TO MAKE ROOM FOR FUTURE PARK EXPANSION

Friday, July 27th, 2012

KINGS ISLAND, Ohio – After a lengthy evaluation of all alternatives, Kings Island announced today the decision has been made to remove the Son of Beast roller coaster to make room for future park expansion.

The dismantling of the ride, which last operated in 2009, will begin later this summer.
07/30/12 at 01:45am in Good Riddance Son of Beast!!! (Latest Edit: 07/30/12 at 01:46am by Zachary.)
Am I the only one who's a bit saddened by this? Realistically, I don't think I ever expected it to reopen, but I can't say that I'm glad to see it go.

Find Me: Twitter | Facebook | Google+
Contact Me: Private Message | Email

Our biggest foe is our inclination towards complacency and willingness to settle for mediocrity.
Thanks given by:  Youhow2
07/30/12 at 11:15am in Good Riddance Son of Beast!!!
It was a really neat ride that just had a horrible execution. It's also worth noting that SoB sits on some really prime real estate (along with most of the other park, too).
07/30/12 at 12:54pm in Good Riddance Son of Beast!!!
It's a sad thing to go but it looks somewhat bad to have a ride just sitting there and not operating. Especially a ride of that magnitude. It would have been tough to get it back running even if they wanted to since all the parts have been sitting still for years. I think it's better off getting destroyed. Maybe a piece of it will be at the Roller Coaster Museum.

Coaster Count: 115

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." ~ Walt Disney
07/30/12 at 01:41pm in Good Riddance Son of Beast!!!
I'm not gonna miss it. This ride should NEVER have been made. It was flat-out awful. All the other ride manufacturers at the time overbid on the project because they knew it was a disaster in the making. That left Kings Island to go with a company with very little experience.

Quote:It's also worth noting that SoB sits on some really prime real estate

SoB's footprint takes up about 1/10 of the park. Dollywood's Thunderhead would fit in the rose bowl section alone. They could build a few good-sized coasters in that location.
Thanks given by:  Parkgoer
07/30/12 at 02:22pm in Good Riddance Son of Beast!!!
Son of Beast= Wooden Drachen Fire.
07/30/12 at 02:27pm in Good Riddance Son of Beast!!!
(07/30/12 02:22pm)jmu2011 Wrote:  Son of Beast= Wooden Drachen Fire.

Drachen Fire felt like Griffon compared to SoB!!!
07/30/12 at 02:32pm in Good Riddance Son of Beast!!!
Wasn't this thing supposed to go down as one of the best?
07/30/12 at 04:13pm in Good Riddance Son of Beast!!!
Thing is RCCA made some pretty decent looking rides, but with the horrible quality of their construction plus the wood they used really didn't make the rides all that smooth.

http://www.rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&co=6918
07/30/12 at 05:12pm in Good Riddance Son of Beast!!!
And now I am sad.
07/30/12 at 07:01pm in Good Riddance Son of Beast!!! (Latest Edit: 07/30/12 at 07:01pm by Unagi.)
(07/30/12 02:32pm)Snap! Wrote:  Wasn't this thing supposed to go down as one of the best?

No, they didn't build this to be the "best." They did so strictly to break world records (highest/tallest, fastest and only looping).

The ironic thing about this coaster was the initial problem stemmed from the loop. The trains were built to handle the loop, not the wood track. But they eventually removed the loop to put lighter trains and it didn't help. And the loop, actually, was the smoothest part of the ride.
07/30/12 at 08:19pm in Good Riddance Son of Beast!!! (Latest Edit: 07/30/12 at 08:20pm by netdvn.)
At that time, Paramount was really into taking risks with their new rides by investing in prototypes. It's such a shame the prototypes didn't work out so well. It seems the additions got smaller and smaller after Hypersonic, Stealth, and SOB turned out to be failures, especially after larger additions like Top Gun, Flight of Fear, and Volcano in the late-90s.

Kings Island took a risk and it backfired on them. I'm pretty sure if SOB worked out, it would be regarded as one of the best in the world.

Project Geauga Lake - Photos! - BGW Crowd Calendar - Don't look back, as you brave the Black Forest
09/24/12 at 12:01am in Good Riddance Son of Beast!!!
HALLELUJAH

This spine-shattering piece of junk is FINALLY coming down!

09/24/12 at 12:20am in Good Riddance Son of Beast!!! (Latest Edit: 09/24/12 at 12:23am by b.mac.)
Two pairs of two words...

Fire Wood

Wrecking Ball

EDIT: I'm actually sure this ride wouldn't even make good fire wood...
09/24/12 at 03:27pm in Good Riddance Son of Beast!!!
(09/24/12 12:20am)B.Mac Wrote:  EDIT: I'm actually sure this ride wouldn't even make good fire wood...

Probably not, though it would be nice to see it erupt in a big ball of fire!!!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |