ParkFans Logo

Fond Memories of Kings Dominion

04/20/12 at 07:19pm in Fond Memories of Kings Dominion (Latest Edit: 12/30/13 at 07:03pm by Zachary.)
A recent post in a particularly heated thread (something about a solar clock and a boat ride..I didn't really follow it all that closely) got me thinking about my younger days spent at King's Dominion. So, I thought I'd start this thread about favorite things in King's Dominion for non KD fans.

My favorite, by far, was Wayne's World.

I used to love Wayne's World. I never went to King's Dominion without riding Hurler at least 5 times, Scream Weaver once, and eating at Stan Mikita's (although I was always bummed that it wasn't a donut shop).

I met one of the best looking girls I ever dated in Wayne's World part of the park, I met my life-long best buddy there, too (not the same person). I rode the Xtreme Skyflyer there with my other best friend and got over my fear of heights right then and there.

I'd be interested to see what other fans who are usually hard on King's Dominion would list as there favorite KD attractions/memories.

In case you're thinking I might be wrong about this brilliant theory, please, consider the following: No. I'm not.
04/20/12 at 10:20pm in Fond Memories of Kings Dominion
I loved Kings Dominion in its pre-Paramount days. The place had such a nice charm to from opening until 1993 and was a hell of a lot more fun than BGW which is not really a surprise when the only thing you have anchoring the park is Nessie and BBW. Now while I didn't mind the addition of Wayne's World I was not happy that they located it so close to Grizzly. This caused a severe depletion of trees in that area and Grizzly's epic night rides in the pitch black were gone. The one thing I mostly miss are the rides where Volcano now sits. I really loved the Time Shaft and Haunted River had a sick (and steep) drop. Also, The Lion Country Safari monorail provided a nice break from the sweltering heat in the summer as the trains were nicely air-conditoned.

I say at least bring back the singing mushrooms!
04/20/12 at 10:35pm in Fond Memories of Kings Dominion
The only memories I have of KD, from when I was really young, is me being terrorized on the Scooby Doo coaster.
04/21/12 at 08:45am in Fond Memories of Kings Dominion
I remember beginning my life-long love for coasters on my first-ever roller coaster, Taxi Jam.

I also remember getting my picture taken with Spongebob in front of the International Street fountains

Find Busch Dominion:
BuschDominion.com | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Thanks given by:  Ludwig II
04/21/12 at 12:00pm in Fond Memories of Kings Dominion
I vaguely remember a days of thunder ride, a lemans style ride and some show where I got to go on stage.

Yes, horror, fright, gore! We need more EVIL!
04/21/12 at 12:04pm in Fond Memories of Kings Dominion
(04/21/12 12:00pm)pandorazboxx Wrote:  I vaguely remember a days of thunder ride, a lemans style ride and some show where I got to go on stage.

I've only been there once, and it was just a few years ago - but I loved how their antique car ride meandered through the woods...

"I am not bound to please thee with my answers." ~Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice
04/21/12 at 03:29pm in Fond Memories of Kings Dominion
I might be wrong, but I thought Days of Thunder was a motion sim ride in the action thearter.
04/21/12 at 04:10pm in Fond Memories of Kings Dominion
(04/21/12 03:29pm)Pompeii Sundial Wrote:  I might be wrong, but I thought Days of Thunder was a motion sim ride in the action thearter.

It was. Well, it was a motion sim...I don't know about the action theater part. They had 007 and Spongebob in this same theater later on. Is that the action theater?

In case you're thinking I might be wrong about this brilliant theory, please, consider the following: No. I'm not.
04/21/12 at 06:29pm in Fond Memories of Kings Dominion
Yes, the Action Theater is where Spongebob is now. (Frankly, I am kinda confused as to how it has survived Paramount's loss of ownership of KD.)

Find Busch Dominion:
BuschDominion.com | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
04/25/12 at 08:08am in Fond Memories of Kings Dominion
(04/21/12 08:45am)J0E1 Wrote:  I remember beginning my life-long love for coasters on my first-ever roller coaster, Taxi Jam.

I also remember getting my picture taken with Spongebob in front of the International Street fountains

This sounds just like my first coaster experience. I rode the Taxi, then did Scooby, got up the guts to do Avalanche, and then, I did the biggest coaster I had ridden so far, Ricochet! (bum,bum,bum)
But I cried on that oneBlushing
Afterwords,I had a fake Karate match with Spongebob.
That was one of my best days at the park.
Another great memory has to be when I rode every single ride in the park in one day, and did Flight of Fear and I305 for the first time.
04/25/12 at 09:03am in Fond Memories of Kings Dominion
Haven't been there in over 12 years. I remember riding Avalanche, Grizzly, Scooby, Hurler, Rebel Yell and maybe like 1 or 2 other coasters. The sheer fact that I still remember Avalanche and Grizzly keeps me clinging to just how much fun I thought they were.
Thanks given by:  Pretzel Kaiser
04/25/12 at 04:13pm in Fond Memories of Kings Dominion
Grizzly and Hurler are two of my all-time favorites. KD has two worthwhile things that BGW does not: wooden roller coasters and a free water park.

Thanks given by:  netdvn
04/25/12 at 05:12pm in Fond Memories of Kings Dominion
I will say that their wave pool sucks... It turns on the waves for like a minute, then keeps them off for random amounts of time... Maybe it was an off day, but I haven't gone to their waterpark since

Europe In The Air is the best ride ever... anyone who disagrees should be drug out to the street and shot... Wait... It's not here anymore... OR is it! :/ #EitAConspiracy
05/18/12 at 10:32pm in Fond Memories of Kings Dominion
I remember my first Volcano ride.
Wow. Just wow. The sheer speed of it just blew me away. That was the first time I had ridden a REAL launch coaster. Boy howdy, that was the loudest I have ever screamed on a roller coaster.
05/29/12 at 01:49pm in Fond Memories of Kings Dominion
Rebel Yell used to go backwards. I have no idea why they flipped it back to the original configuration.

You know times have changed when you have to go through a metal detector now. That didn't exist in the 80's at KD.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | ParkFans Network | Return to Top | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication | |